Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon to U.k, likelyhood of customs ?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-03, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A question for the U.k posters, is it likely that Customs will take an interest in the upcoming Season 4 of Buffy.

I have had a look through my many previous Amazon.com orders and realise that its 15 months since I placed an order with them (stopped for xmas 2001 because of the added risk and somehow got settled with other suppliers).

What is the recent situation like or is it best to keep it under £18?

Smiler
Old 03-03-03, 05:09 PM

Anyone ?
Old 03-06-03, 11:54 AM

Old 03-06-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have no idea... I live in the US.
Old 03-06-03, 04:39 PM

Smiler, just saw your post. I've had customs charges on amazon goods in the past. I wouldn't mind so much if they'd delivered the damn things to my house but the mail was "held for me" at an out of town Post Office clearing site. Oddly enough, though, my last order: Contempt and Red Beard, arrived - if a little late - but stamped with a charging sticker of £12, which nobody has asked for. I usually order from Play com but neither of these discs were conveniently available there.

This reply probably hasn't been very helpful !
Old 03-06-03, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the reply mate.
Old 03-08-03, 01:55 AM

Play.com are very expensive and alot of their box sets are now posted from the US.

So you way as well use a reasonable US or Canadian Retailer.

I use DVDSOON.COM who are very cheap when compared to Play, a new release disc costs around £12 when compared to Play's £16.

The only issue is that they charge you when you order, but I've never had any problems at all with them.

If you order 4 discs together but then opt for individual mail, they are shipped separtely and you would save a further £1 per movie and also get a $1 credit in your account per DVD once the order has been shipped.
Old 03-08-03, 03:07 AM

Thanks for the reply Daren and yes I use both play and dvdsoon but because of the more custom friendly stores like these along with dvdpacific, lasersedge and not to forget cd-wow, I haven't used Amazon.com in over a year.

As Buffy 4 is up for preorder its at a decent price but unsure if its a customs magnet.

Smiler
Old 03-08-03, 02:17 PM

Daren, I'dd never heard of dvdsoon so I was interested in your post. What's their postage time like ? Playcom's would be hard to beat; sometime's it's been no more than two days for region 1 disc, Road to Perdition for example. Though dvdsoon certainly are cheaper ! Then again, the £$ exchange rate is very high at the moment.
Old 03-08-03, 06:25 PM

del, www.dvdsoon.com can be very cheap and are extremely reliable when it comes to customs but at times they are not the quickest. At the moment though Play.com are not as fast as they have been.

If you take a look at the supplier forum here www.thedvdforums.com you'll get a lot of info on DvdSoon.

Smiler