Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDTalker's Guide to Shopping in NYC!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-18-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note: Below is the remnants of my failed attempt to organize a Chinatown gathering for NYC-area DVDTalkers. Although the gathering failed, the guide I wrote is a great reference for those unfamiliar with NYC who want to do some DVD shopping.

DVDTalker's Guide to Shopping in NYC

Chinatown
We'll start our journey through Chinatown, over Canal and down Mott St. to Asia Music & Gifts (60 B Mott St.). Comparable selection to Lai Ying Music, comparable prices as well. This place seemed to have emerged as a leading DVD retailer in the last year or so, and beat the other Bowery stores' prices most of the time.

St. Alp's Teahouse (170 Bleecker Street) used to be my favorite spot in Chinatown to get some refreshing bubble tea, but it's since moved to Greenwich Village location. Note: St. Alp's website still lists 20 Elizabeth Street as a location, but last time I was there it looked like it was gone for good. The next best thing is Tea & Tea (51 Mott St.). If you've never had "bubble tea", you haven't lived.

Then it's off to our next stops on Elizabeth. For our video game players, we'll stop at EVO Inc. (15 Elizabeth St., #21) in the underground Elizabeth St. Mall. Here you can score a good price on new and used video games, domestic and import. You can even get your console modded, takes about an hour and around $100 for parts an labor. We're stopping here first because they have the best deals and a decent selection over the place across the street.

Then we'll check out J&L Game Trading (28 Elizabeth St.). It's larger and has a more complete selection of import titles, but it's also more expensive, so I recommend checking them out as a last resort.

Now off to the real deal for our day of shopping, DVDs! And over a couple blocks on Canal to Bowery St. for the premiere DVD store, Lai Ying Music (89 Bowery St.). They have a great selection of DVDs, VCDs and music, at the best prices in Chinatown.
***** Highly Recommended The staff is top notch, and they make it a point to stay away from selling bootlegs. Case in point - the last time I was there I was looking for the Hero Extended version. They said they wouldn't stock it because they don't carry bootlegs. Confused, I checked it out when I went home, and indeed it was never a licensed release. Pretty much day and date of when a DVD is supposed to be released in HK/China, Lai Ying will have it on the shelves with a price that can't even be beat online.

If they don't have what you are looking for, no fear, because there's plenty of chances. Next is Rock City Music Corp, just next store (85 Bowery St.). Not as good of a selection, not as good of prices, but because a lot of shoppers skip you can usually find a hard-to-find or OOP title here.

Do NOT shop at NY Music & Gifts (151 Canal St.) on the corner of Bowery and Canal. At one point I would recommend them, but the past two times I've been in there, the selection has been taken over by bootlegs.

We'll give everyone an opportunity to pick up those last minute DVDs or those that people have held up on to find the best price. Then we'll cap our shopping day with a meal at Vegetarian Paradise 3 (33-35 Mott St.). Probably the best meal you'll have in Chinatown, and you won't even know it's not meat. Healthy and chock full of nutrients to replentish ourselves for the trip home. Note: I don't know if this is still open. It would be a sad day if did close down, although there is another location on 4th St. and 6th Ave.

Jeremy

Last edited by jrutz; 01-31-05 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Updated Information
Old 02-19-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Interested, but uh, not on Feb 29
Old 02-19-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by marty888
Interested, but uh, not on Feb 29
Noted. I changed the post to reflect no dates have been set yet. Please post when you would be available, preferrably on a Saturday afternoon.

Let's go, DVDTalkers!

Jeremy
Old 02-19-03, 11:55 AM

Yeah, yeah, count me in. It should be the week when they release the Hero dvd, or maybe not.
Old 02-19-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is nice. I visit twice a year so maybe later in the year?
Old 02-19-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by myrdh
This is nice. I visit twice a year so maybe later in the year?
Yeah, cool, remember this is extended to all DVDTalkers...even ones outside of NYC who want to make a visit!

I'm interested to see what kind of response we get from those who might just want to visit from outside the NJ-NY-CT area.

Jeremy
Old 02-20-03, 10:23 AM
Banned

I'd be interested...once i get some more funds.

I've just bought 5 HK/Korean dvd's and I need to build up some more...
Old 02-20-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Updated the main post to cover more information.

Also, does anyone know how to set up a table within vB Code? Or do I just use HTML? I want to make a nice table to organize the member RSVP list.

EDIT: Figured it out already, using the table HTML tags

Thanks,

Jeremy

Last edited by jrutz; 02-20-03 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-20-03, 12:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[Something I learned from Trigger]

<small>
Originally posted by jrutz
EDIT: Figured it out already, using the table HTML tags
</small>Check this out (using the edit button once you get to the copied post) to see what you need to do if you want to lose the "dead" space!
Old 02-20-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: [Something I learned from Trigger]

Originally posted by benedict
<small></small>Check this out (using the edit button once you get to the copied post) to see what you need to do if you want to lose the "dead" space!
Looks a lot nicer - thanks for the help!

Jeremy
Old 02-23-03, 11:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

[I'll make this one sticky for a couple of weeks]

&nbsp
Old 02-23-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would be interested, but when it gets a bit warmer and I have more cash, some R2 purchases and the amazing amount of R1 anime limited edition releases are KILLING my wallet at this moment.

I am right in NJ BTW, a few blocks from the Lincoln tunnel, so its easily doable for me.
Old 02-23-03, 10:08 PM

Was actually there this past weekend to pickup my copy of Hero VCD, should be there again next week to pick up a super secret dvd being released. So if any of you guys want to meet up gimme a holler....
Old 02-25-03, 07:31 PM

what super secret dvd is being released
Old 02-26-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Added proposed dates. All Saturdays, if Sundays are your thing I'll add them as well.

Jeremy
Old 02-26-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Love to go, but can't due to the fact that I live in Arizona and can't really make it out there right now. :/
Old 02-27-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Love to go, but can't due to the fact that I live in Arizona and can't really make it out there right now. :/
Excuses...excuses....
Old 02-27-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't worry, if this goes well I'm sure we'll have another one.

Jeremy
Old 02-28-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Any Saturday or Sunday is fine for me ..... I'll keep checking back here for any more input ....
Old 03-03-03, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by callaweii
what super secret dvd is being released
PING PONG!!!!!! Way cheaper than the r2 release and this movie is AWESOME!!!!! Get it now
Old 03-03-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, sweet! I wanted this Ping Pong in R2. Okay everyone, let's see your preferred dates so we can all get ourselves a copy!

Jeremy
Old 03-06-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zerotl
PING PONG!!!!!! Way cheaper than the r2 release and this movie is AWESOME!!!!! Get it now
Okay, I narrowed the list of dates down to two. They are both in April, but it gives me some time to scout out the plan.

C'mon everyone, let's get some interest in this. Email me with your preferred date, and we can then get the ball rolling.

BTW, I want to know which shop you found Ping Pong, so I can add it to the list of stops for our gathering (and make sure they'll have enough copies!).

Jeremy
Old 03-07-03, 05:04 PM

That sounds cool... I'm sort of new to NYC (moved here a year ago) and still don't know very much about where to get those elusive "super secret" DVDs around here

I'll be free most Saturday afternoons.
Old 03-07-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just pick a date - April 5 or April 19.

Jeremy
Old 03-16-03, 06:25 AM
Mod Emeritus

OK this one has had a fair crack of the whip at the top of the page so I am now de-stickying for the time being.

No unnecessary bumping please: interested parties should instead now consider bookmarking/making it a "favorite". And how about giving jrutz some dates for his table!?

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.