DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Korean (R3) DVD question (ntsc???) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/268452-korean-r3-dvd-question-ntsc.html)

digitalfreaknyc 02-03-03 12:53 PM

Korean (R3) DVD question (ntsc???)

Hey all,

I just found a site that is selling R3 Korean DVD's. Under specifics, it says that it's widescreen 16:9, NTSC. Does this mean there will be no PAL speed up? Is this something that happens with all Korean DVD's? I thought the US was the only place that used NTSC.

Bill Geiger 02-03-03 01:31 PM

Nope! No PAL speed up! It is quite common. Most R3's are NTSC from what I have seen. I don't recall seeing any R3 PALS.

Pictures are great.. I say jump right in!

cinemaman 02-03-03 01:36 PM

what site, please?

eom

Josh Z 02-03-03 01:37 PM

I'm not sure specifically about Korea, but supposedly Hong Kong uses PAL for its television broadcasts and NTSC for home video. Every Hong Kong disc I've ever purchased has been NTSC.

Could be the same situation, or similar.

Japan (region 2) is an entirely NTSC country.

digitalfreaknyc 02-03-03 02:09 PM

Re: what site, please?

Originally posted by cinemaman
eom
eom???

axolotls return 02-03-03 04:09 PM

eom = end of message.
he wants to know where to buy the R3's ...

pro-bassoonist 02-03-03 08:02 PM

www.koreandvds.com

digitalfreaknyc 02-03-03 08:07 PM

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
www.koreandvds.com
It seems like this is the most well stocked place. Is it the best? How reliable are they?

pro-bassoonist 02-03-03 08:59 PM

pretty good I would say....though I am not into Korean dvds a lot....they do have the 1492 The Conquest of Paradise....which is widescreen and anamorphic!!

Trencher 02-04-03 04:46 AM

You can also try pokerindustries.com who are based in New Jersey.

digitalfreaknyc 02-04-03 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Trencher
You can also try pokerindustries.com who are based in New Jersey.
That would be great if they actually stocked american titles. I'd love to find someplace in the US that does and doesn't charge through the roof.

Civic2oo1 02-04-03 01:08 PM

Keep in mind that Koreandvds.com is located in Korea (I would assume) so shipping is not from the US.

I suggest DVDAsian.com

Now if only they had a preorder or even a release calendar. I hate having to be 'surprised' by a new release on their site.

digitalfreaknyc 02-04-03 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Civic2oo1
Keep in mind that Koreandvds.com is located in Korea (I would assume) so shipping is not from the US.

I suggest DVDAsian.com

Now if only they had a preorder or even a release calendar. I hate having to be 'surprised' by a new release on their site.

Shipping isn't actually that much.

And as i've stated before...i'm not looking for films that originate from other countries. I'm only looking for American films that get better releases.

DVDasian doesn't stock any american films as far as I can tell ;(

Thanks anyway...

Trencher 02-04-03 07:58 PM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
And as i've stated before...i'm not looking for films that originate from other countries. I'm only looking for American films that get better releases.
I don't know when you stated this before, but if you can put some examples of DVDs you are looking for it would be easier to find a retailer that has those titles.

moby 02-05-03 08:54 AM

www.dddhouse.com is also quite nice.

Thor 02-05-03 12:40 PM

I've bought some from dvdshelf.com. krdvd.com also carries some.

I have yet to figure out who's cheapest.

Bill Geiger 02-05-03 01:11 PM

Koreandvd.com is perfect! Do a search just locating dts and you will see plenty of US films.

digitalfreaknyc 02-05-03 01:19 PM

dvdshelf has some good prices...but it's hong kong...not Korea..as far as i know.

chucky7 02-06-03 02:17 AM

Can some post their shipping charges?
It's all in Korean.