Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hitchcock Collection R2 £8.99 Each

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 01-28-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www2.cd-wow.com/feat_hckdvd.php?affid=11750

I received an e-mail from CD Wow about these. They seem to be Special Editions with some great extras. I'm probably going to order the Birds and Rear Window. Anyone know anything about the quality?

Last edited by boc4ever; 01-28-03 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-28-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Isn't the R2 edition of The Birds 1.33:1?
Old 01-28-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Isn't the R2 edition of The Birds 1.33:1?
Yes, I noticed that too. Some of the others listed are widescreen. This might be a foolish question, but is it possible the R1 widescreen is matted and it was orignally framed full screen? I guess I won't be bothering with that one if 1.33:1 isn't the OAR.
Old 01-28-03, 04:43 PM

Cheaper at www.fbo.com.au...
Avoid The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain and Topaz (all MAR)
Old 02-01-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure if I'm splitting hairs here, but.... according to the IMDB the AR of the birds was 1.85:1 which would seem more appropriate for 1963. So if the DVD that is 4:3 is not panscan, wouldn't that make it Open matted rather than the widescreen DVD being Matted?.

I'm still not sure how I feel about open matting. I'd of course like to have the Theatrical OAR, but if the director also shot the film with 4:3 in mind, as lets say kubrick did, I guess I can deal with buying openmatted.

A good case in point is a Hard Days Night. I waited for so long to get this film, and avoided any of the early releases before miramax. After watching it, I feel the correct AR for the film is most likely 4:3. And after watching the extras, i'm pretty sure that was the indended ratio though the film was probably matted for theatrical release.

A slight diversion I suppose. I have the R1 Birds and it is anamorphic widescreen and looks great.
Old 02-01-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by FaustBos
Not sure if I'm splitting hairs here, but.... according to the IMDB the AR of the birds was 1.85:1 which would seem more appropriate for 1963. So if the DVD that is 4:3 is not panscan, wouldn't that make it Open matted rather than the widescreen DVD being Matted?.

I'm still not sure how I feel about open matting. I'd of course like to have the Theatrical OAR, but if the director also shot the film with 4:3 in mind, as lets say kubrick did, I guess I can deal with buying openmatted.

A good case in point is a Hard Days Night. I waited for so long to get this film, and avoided any of the early releases before miramax. After watching it, I feel the correct AR for the film is most likely 4:3. And after watching the extras, i'm pretty sure that was the indended ratio though the film was probably matted for theatrical release.

A slight diversion I suppose. I have the R1 Birds and it is anamorphic widescreen and looks great.
You conveyed what I was thinking in a much better way. Thanks! I'll probably hold off on these until I can confirm the aspect ratio. I don't understand why some of the R2s were letterbox and some weren't. That is why I thought the 4:3 theory may have been true. Thanks for your input...
Old 02-02-03, 08:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would it be possible for some of you guys who are actually buying these films to put together a list of the "definitive"/"best" version (i.e. by Region) of as much of the Hitchcock oeuvre as possible and post it initially in this thread?

It might provoke a few arguments but could be a great resource!
Old 02-02-03, 06:17 PM

Sorry for the confusion caused by my slackness. When I said MAR, I probably should have said that the modification in this case was to make them open matte (see here for more).

Preferred versions of Hitch's films (as best I can tell), where one version is favoured:

R1

Psycho (doco plus other extras, but not 16x9)
North By Northwest (additional Hitchcock trailer)
The Birds, Marnie, Topaz, Torn Curtain (anamorphic widescreen vs full frame in R2/R4)
The Lodger (forthcoming) (commentary)
Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, 39 Steps, Lady Vanishes (all SEs by Criterion)

R2 Europe

Blackmail (both versions of film, screen test, only Spain, Germany)
Suspicion (French edition reasonably good with extras in French)
Young and Innocent, Man Who Knew Too Much (1930s) (UK editions have apparently got better transfers)

R2/R4

Vertigo (anamorphic widescreen)

Last edited by samuelowens; 02-02-03 at 06:20 PM.