DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Hoop Dreams DVD out Jan 13! But in R2 only, apparently. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/261247-hoop-dreams-dvd-out-jan-13-but-r2-only-apparently.html)

andyh 01-03-03 11:12 AM

Hoop Dreams DVD out Jan 13! But ...

... a) it's over here only (R2, I'm in England) and b) it looks worse than bare bones.

Link to Hoop Dreams DVD on Play.com - beware, Play's server is very slow this afternoon but it IS the right link.

I taped HD from BBC2 onto video years ago, and my version's a good 2+ hours long ... this one is only 1hr 40 mins. Anyone know anything about it? And what a helluva pity that this doesn't feature any of the extras that previous posters have suggested (do a search for Hoop Dreams).

Bottom line: much as I love HD, I won't be buying this.
:-(

The Bus 01-03-03 12:42 PM

ARGH!

That's like the worst thing I've ever heard!

Reminds me of this:

From Simpsons Treehouse of Horror (Episode 9F04)

Homer rushes off to the nearest convenient `House of Evil' (your one-
stop Evil shop). He asks the very old Asian owner who appears out of
the shadows if he sells toys.

Owner: We sell forbidden objects from places men fear to tread.
We also sell frozen yogurt, which I call ``Frogurt''!

Homer tells the owner that he is looking for a present for his son's
birthday. The owner hands to him a talking Krusty doll.

Owner: Take this object, but beware it carries a terrible curse!
Homer: [worried] Ooooh, that's bad.
Owner: But it comes with a free Frogurt!
Homer: [relieved] That's good.
Owner: The Frogurt is also cursed.
Homer: [worried] That's bad.
Owner: But you get your choice of topping!
Homer: [relieved] That's good.
Owner: The toppings contains Potassium Benzoate.
Homer: [stares]
Owner: That's bad.

[snpp.com]
So we're getting one of my favorite movies, but edited, in Region 2, and with no features...

Gioman 01-03-03 12:52 PM

I'm sure Ebert would love to do a commentary on this one.

Gil Jawetz 01-03-03 01:02 PM

No reason to believe that play.com has the right running time. This was scheduled to come out in R1 years ago. I even had it preorded from CDNow. What happened? Who knows.

andyh 01-04-03 08:30 AM

Play.com are usually very reliable, and shortening Hoop Dreams to fit some budget-release target sounds like just the sort of stupid thing that happens over here these days (Blair remaining at No.10, firemen on strike for a 40% pay rise while nurses get sod all, the sun disappearing for most of the last six weeks).

This is probably real, and I'll wait until you Yanks do it properly with a fully-loaded R1 all-hands-on-deck Special Edition.

krisbee 01-06-03 09:17 AM

It takes more effort to edit it than not... Also, full frame video to transfer... My guess if they were cheaping out, they would use the regular version... have hope.

--krisbee

Static Cling 01-06-03 09:53 AM

Moving to International.