Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Malata and beyond: discussing Region-Free DVD player options [PART 6]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Malata and beyond: discussing Region-Free DVD player options [PART 6]

Old 08-06-03, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just FYI...

I have the 520 and it's VERY Picky as to which DVD-R's it plays. I have had to try a lot of different ones to figure out which ones it WILL play. I mostly use TDK's and Ritek (i think).
Old 08-08-03, 06:53 PM
hellboyy

Okay...since I did not get any response on my post, I bought the player from Amazon for 90 bucks to test it myself. The worst that could happen would be I'm out of 90.

It arrived today. Using the component out, progressive output on, and region-free hack with remote applied, I connected this baby to my Sony KV-34XBR800 widescreen TV. Oh, output on DVD was set to NTSC TV.

I only have two anamorphic R2 PAL discs so far---Drive and Cross of Iron. Both played and displayed perfectly on my set. Image was, to me, (and bear in mind that observations about PQ are very subjective in nature) flawless and the PAL to NTSC conversion was correct and true.

So, there's the answer if you are interested in a region-free player that does PAL to NTSC OOB for 90 bucks.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-08-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Just wondering, have you tried your anamorphic PAL discs on a non-widescreen set?

PAL => NTSC distortion only shows up with anamorphic pal discs on standard TVs. On widescreen sets, the picture will appear fine.
Old 08-08-03, 08:01 PM
hellboyy

Originally posted by philo
Just wondering, have you tried your anamorphic PAL discs on a non-widescreen set?

PAL => NTSC distortion only shows up with anamorphic pal discs on standard TVs. On widescreen sets, the picture will appear fine.
I will try to test this soon. I have a standard 27-inch Sony. I will post it here once I get the urge to lift a 200 pounds WS TV and disconnect the Philips.
Old 08-08-03, 09:02 PM

I have a JVC XV-S500 and was watching Flight on the Intruder. The subtitles would sporadically turn on durning the movie. It was quite odd behavior.
Old 08-09-03, 09:03 PM
hellboyy

Originally posted by hellboyy
I will try to test this soon. I have a standard 27-inch Sony. I will post it here once I get the urge to lift a 200 pounds WS TV and disconnect the Philips.
Tested today. Anamorphic geometry is correct in a standard 4:3 TV--no squezzing or anomalies. Letterboxed quite perfectly.
Old 08-24-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a specific version of JVC player that people are referring to in this thread. The only reference I could find was CJayBlair mentioning the JVC 900 series region free players.

Where is a good place to get this one?
Old 08-25-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shay
I have a JVC XV-S500 and was watching Flight on the Intruder. The subtitles would sporadically turn on durning the movie. It was quite odd behavior.
I have the XV-602 - and during Phenomenon subtitles come on (where they should) but they don't get turned off... Just one of the quirks of the player I suppose? Any firmware fixes available?
Old 12-17-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a JVC XV-SA602 that I'm running with progressive scan to a Sony 16:9 set. I've noticed that with non-Region 1 titles, it seems the image is stretched vertically. Is there a setting I've missed on the menu? I can play Region 1 titles correctly, but noticed it today while watching my Region 3 I, Robot.
Old 10-07-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread obviously hasn't seen much action lately ...

... but I thought I'd bump to highlight the Amazon deal:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=440516

A region-free player for $20. There's no excuse now to not be region free.
Old 10-07-05, 01:01 PM

DigitalFreakNYC - I'm surprised about your 520. I have one also and it's played anything I've put in it. I wonder if it's just a different firmware?

Malata's are great. I really wish they're release a player with a DVI connection. I have 3 Malata's now. I've had good luck with them all, except that 393 they make. It doesn't do proper PAL->NTSC conversion. I guess if I didn't have other players to compare I wouldn't know the difference I've actually come to find a few of the low end player do the PAL-NTSC, but not in the proper aspect ratio. There used to be a forum that compared aspect ratios across players dealing with conversion, but I don't recall what it was.
Old 10-07-05, 03:05 PM
Banned

Splattii,

What a difference a couple of years makes. It will now play almost everything I throw at it...including DL blanks. I probably won't ever get rid of it at this point and just keep trucking along until blu-ray comes out.