Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The CyberHome 500 Dvd player discussion thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The CyberHome 500 Dvd player discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-02, 10:38 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You get what you pay for, folks.
Old 12-21-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So far I've watched a Reg 2 Pal-nonanamorphic disc (SALO), Reg 3 NTSC anamorphic and non-anamorphic widescreen discs (The HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS and PULSE), not to mention reg 1 full-frame (Sunset Blvd & Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye) and numerous reg 1 & 0 anamorphic & non-anamorphic wide-screen discs all without problems.

I'm very happy with the CH-500!

cheers, Tony Block
Old 12-21-02, 12:19 PM

I've had my player for around 3 weeks now. No regrets, except that I paid 69.99 and not 49.99 for it.
Old 12-21-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think I got more than I paid for...

I have viewed one Region 2 PAL anamorphic widescreen set of discs (Tesis SE), one Region 1 NTSC full-frame (Wild Strawberries), and two Region 0 PAL full-frames (the Silence and Winter Light), as well as other various Region 1 anamorphic and non-anamorphic widescreen discs, and I am glad to report that all have played flawlessly.

I'm very happy with the CH-500!
Very happy here as well. Frankly, I would even venture to say that I got a hell of a lot more than what I paid for...
Old 12-21-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dleedlee
I've had my player for around 3 weeks now. No regrets, except that I paid 69.99 and not 49.99 for it.
If Best Buy is still selling it for $50.00, if you produce your receipt, you should get your $20 back if it has been less tha 30 days since you bought it.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 12-21-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Please PRINT this form and clearly write in the information for each blank. Note: Forms with typed-in responses WILL NOT be accepted.

NAME: ______________________________________
ADDRESS: ______________________________________
DAYTIME PHONE: ______________________________________

BRAND: Not Defined
MODEL: DVD-402
SKU: 4773356

REBATE: $20.00

OFFER DATE: 12/19/2002 TO 12/31/2002
POSTMARK DATE: 01/31/03

PROOF OF PURCHASE REQUIREMENTS: This Rebate Form
Copy of Receipt
Original UPC barcode cut from box

MAIL ALL OF THE ABOVE TO: Best Buy Rebate # 31690
PO Box 7600
Calais, ME 04619-7755

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Limit of one rebate per household or address. Make a photocopy of all materials submitted for your records. Receipts may not be duplicated in an attempt to obtain additional rebates. Any attempt to do so is considered a fraudulent claim. In-store rebates are valid on in-store purchases only. BestBuy.com rebates are valid with online purchases only. All eligible products purchased must be identified on one receipt. Multiple receipts are not acceptable as proof of purchase. All rebates must be mailed in separate envelopes with the appropriate materials to the address listed on the Rebate Form. Gift Receipts are not accepted as proof of purchase. Requests from Best Buy employees, groups, or organizations, will not be honored or acknowledged. Offer void where prohibited by law. Rebate checks are paid in U.S. funds. Product may not be returned for full purchase price once the rebate has been fulfilled. All rebate submissions are subject to purchase validation, returned products may no longer be eligible for rebate payment. Best Buy and their fulfillment companies are not responsible for late, lost, mutilated, misdirected or postage-due requests. Use of fictitious names or addresses could result in federal prosecution for U.S. Mail Fraud. Best Buy reserves the right to deny rebate claims if deemed to be fraudulent. Fraudulent claims will not be honored or acknowledged. By submitting this form, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of the information contained in it, together with any information you may subsequently provide to us, to any person or entity for the purposes of processing this form, responding to your requests and Best Buy promotional activities. BB 31690

YOU SHOULD RECEIVE YOUR REBATE WITHIN 8 WEEKS.

OR CALL THE BEST BUY REBATE CENTER AT 1-888-797-3956.
Old 12-21-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Please PRINT this form and clearly write in the information for each blank. Note: Forms with typed-in responses WILL NOT be accepted.

NAME: ______________________________________
ADDRESS: ______________________________________
DAYTIME PHONE: ______________________________________

BRAND: Not Defined
MODEL: DVD-402
SKU: 4773356

REBATE: $20.00

OFFER DATE: 12/19/2002 TO 12/31/2002
POSTMARK DATE: 01/31/03

PROOF OF PURCHASE REQUIREMENTS: This Rebate Form
Copy of Receipt
Original UPC barcode cut from box

MAIL ALL OF THE ABOVE TO: Best Buy Rebate # 31690
PO Box 7600
Calais, ME 04619-7755

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Limit of one rebate per household or address. Make a photocopy of all materials submitted for your records. Receipts may not be duplicated in an attempt to obtain additional rebates. Any attempt to do so is considered a fraudulent claim. In-store rebates are valid on in-store purchases only. BestBuy.com rebates are valid with online purchases only. All eligible products purchased must be identified on one receipt. Multiple receipts are not acceptable as proof of purchase. All rebates must be mailed in separate envelopes with the appropriate materials to the address listed on the Rebate Form. Gift Receipts are not accepted as proof of purchase. Requests from Best Buy employees, groups, or organizations, will not be honored or acknowledged. Offer void where prohibited by law. Rebate checks are paid in U.S. funds. Product may not be returned for full purchase price once the rebate has been fulfilled. All rebate submissions are subject to purchase validation, returned products may no longer be eligible for rebate payment. Best Buy and their fulfillment companies are not responsible for late, lost, mutilated, misdirected or postage-due requests. Use of fictitious names or addresses could result in federal prosecution for U.S. Mail Fraud. Best Buy reserves the right to deny rebate claims if deemed to be fraudulent. Fraudulent claims will not be honored or acknowledged. By submitting this form, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of the information contained in it, together with any information you may subsequently provide to us, to any person or entity for the purposes of processing this form, responding to your requests and Best Buy promotional activities. BB 31690

YOU SHOULD RECEIVE YOUR REBATE WITHIN 8 WEEKS.

OR CALL THE BEST BUY REBATE CENTER AT 1-888-797-3956.
I just picked a copy of this at Best Buy, but for my CH-500 that I bought a week or so ago.

Your, rebate appears to be for the CH-402?

cheers, mcb
Old 12-21-02, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
So what is this doom-laden warning supposed to mean exactly? Seems like nearly everybody, including myself, is pretty darn pleased with this machine. Have you seen this machine yourself or are you just getting some sort of kick out of chiming in with an uninformed opinion? I agree with Tom Reagan. For 50 bucks you're getting a lot more than what you pay for. It's easy to scoff at the player because of its price, but the ones scoffing are usually the ones who paid a hell of a lot more for a different player.

Btw, codefree, non-anamorphic ntsc discs look just fine on my friend's 16:9 set and fullframe images are not cropped unless you choose to zoom the picture. Maybe it's just something as simple as your tv/player settings. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the player on his set-up. For non-anamorphic discs he has the player set to 4:3 LB and the tv set to 4:3.

Last edited by Sartana; 12-22-02 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-21-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well for $50 I can finally watch 16x9 PAL discs via component cables in the proper aspect without:

overheating
sub-title problems
little or no customer support
problems with specific titles
crappy remote

that the Malata has and I get to do it for $200 cheaper and if it messes up I don't have ship it to Canada or China to get a replacement. The real question here is did you get what you paid for?
Old 12-22-02, 12:02 AM

i just went to best buy with my reciept and they just printed out the rebate form for me, but mine says

"BRAND: Not Defined"
"MODEL: Not Defined"
"SKU: 4773524"

"OFFER DATE: 12/19/2002 TO 12/21/2002 "

my mailing address is different too

"MAIL ALL THE ABOVE TO:
Best Buy Rebate # 31667
PO Box 8000
Calais, ME 04619-8117"

the rest is the same though.

[ants
Old 12-22-02, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by no pants
i just went to best buy with my reciept and they just printed out the rebate form for me, but mine says

"BRAND: Not Defined"
"MODEL: Not Defined"
"SKU: 4773524"

"OFFER DATE: 12/19/2002 TO 12/21/2002 "

my mailing address is different too

"MAIL ALL THE ABOVE TO:
Best Buy Rebate # 31667
PO Box 8000
Calais, ME 04619-8117"

the rest is the same though.

[ants

My rebate form is the same as yours. If you look at either your receipt, or your rebate receipt which I got because I had purchased component cables and an optical digital cable on my original receipt, 4773524 is the number that corresponds to the CH-500 player.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 12-22-02, 01:28 AM

Exactly like the information on my rebate receipt and rebate form, which I obtained Saturday evening. The built-in DTS decoder on the the Cyberhome 500's Cirrus logic chip is a big plus.
Old 12-22-02, 08:58 AM

Does it matter if I perform the region hack before doing all the firmware upgrades? Or should I wait until after? I don't have access to a CD-RW and are hoping cyberhome will just send me out the firmware fixes on a CD-R/DVD-R.
Old 12-22-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't have to wait to the hack, but I think you'll have to do it again after the firmware upgrade. I believe the upgrade resets all player settings to the default out of the box settings.
Old 12-22-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You do get what you pay for. And often times you don't get what you overpay for, like many of the overpriced region free players out there.

Here, and on other forums I've read a lot more praising and a lot less moaning about the CH 500 than I have about the Malata line.
Old 12-23-02, 01:03 AM

Re: CyberHome 500 Picture Problem

Originally posted by mapson
Those who have a problem with the picture on the top and top-left corner on some scenes like I do, I have some news.

I have been in contact with Argus and have arranged to do a swap with them. The tech support wants to take a look at my machine after I sent them videos of the described problem.

Once I receive the new machine, I will put it through the paces to see if the problem is still there. I will provide an update so others that have the same problem will know exactly if they should return or keep the 500.

If you have any problems, email Argus, they have been very receptive on listening to my issues (so far).
Here is my followup...(I also posted on Nerd-out)

Note...In our email exchanges, I described the problem, I described the dvds which showed the problem, and I sent videos of the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I got the new player, powered it up, same problem. Surprisingly my emails have not been returned since. Maybe they are on X-mas break?

Anyway, I decided to return my current player before X-mas to beat the rush. I'll get it again if they finally acknowledge and fix the problem.

Good luck to others that do not exhibit the problem. I would have kept it had it not been for that.
Old 12-23-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Video observations on a 16:9 TV

Originally posted by codefree
NTSC & PAL fullframe DVDs have the top and bottom of the picture completely cut off. They look like 1.85:1, thus filling my TV screen entirely. I tried changing the DVD player setting to 4:3 LBX and 4:3 PS to see if that would correct this problem, it did not.
Codefree:

I just received Alucarda PAL Region 0 full-frame in the mail today and it plays fine, without any apparent loss of info, as does Salo, my PAL reg 2 nonanamorphic widescreen. As I mentioned in a previous post, my Sunset BLVD NTSC Region 1 full-frame also plays fine.

I'd either get a new player or hopefully you'll be able to fix the problem.

cheers & happy holidays, Tony Block
Old 12-23-02, 04:23 PM

I'm having a problem with my CH DVD player. I'm using the regular RCA cables that came with the player, and I have them hooked up directly to the T.V. The problem is that there is these strange sort of lines, or "noise" across the screen. They don't really stand out at first glance but the picture doesn't have a perfectly solid look to it, as if the video cable wasn't connected all of the way. I asked a Best Buy clerk about this and he suggested that I get better RCA cables. He suggested Monster cables but I don't want to spend $30 on cables, so he said that Acoustic research is the nest best thing, so I bought them. So I tried them out and the picture was the exact same. When I tried playing the same DVDs on my X-Box the picture was solid, so I have no idea what's wrong with my CH-DVD-500 player. Can somebody help me?
Old 12-23-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd return it and get another one. If the XBox works fine hooked up exactly the same way, and you've tried different cables, then it's probably going to be the player.
Old 12-23-02, 06:59 PM

There's a new bios upgrade on the Cyberhome website. Anybody tried it yet?
Old 12-24-02, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Sartana
There's a new bios upgrade on the Cyberhome website. Anybody tried it yet?
Nerd-out has some people complaining about it, if you do upgrade, make sure you have the old new just in case.
Old 12-25-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DON'T USE THE NEW UPGRADE! It had a quirk in it that made DVD discs with computer content (like the Matrix) not play. To the maker's credit, they discovered the error immediately and put the old upgrade in its place.
Old 12-25-02, 05:28 PM

Re: Re: Video observations on a 16:9 TV

Originally posted by Tony Block
Codefree:

I just received Alucarda PAL Region 0 full-frame in the mail today and it plays fine, without any apparent loss of info, as does Salo, my PAL reg 2 nonanamorphic widescreen. As I mentioned in a previous post, my Sunset BLVD NTSC Region 1 full-frame also plays fine.
Do you have a widescreen TV? I tried changing settings on the player and the TV again a couple of days ago but got absolutely nowhere. I'll be taking the player back for a refund. The Malata does everything as it should w/o the hassle so I'm happy to just use it.
Old 12-25-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Video observations on a 16:9 TV

Originally posted by codefree
Do you have a widescreen TV?
I've got a 32" WEGA. It's not a widescreen TV, But it has 16x9 capabilities so it will properly present PAL & NTSC anamorphic DVDs when I go to the CH-500's setup screen and select 4:3 WS (16X9), and it gives a letterboxed image for nonanamorphic DVDs and full-frame image for DVDs shot in academy ratio (1.33:1 or 1.37:1), without any information loss at the top & bottom, when I select 4:3LB on the CH-500 setup screen.

cheers, Tony Block

Last edited by Tony Block; 12-25-02 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-26-02, 07:18 AM

Hello all,

Got this player for my baby girl and all is well, except when I play animated titles, text for the hearing impaired pops up on the screen. This happened with Lilo and Stitch and Ice Age, but not with any movie titles that I popped in. I tried everything to remove the text, but no luck. Anyone else have this problem> Any solutions? Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.