Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The CyberHome 500 Dvd player discussion thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The CyberHome 500 Dvd player discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good deal... I did read it.. just wanted more confirmation. I just sold my "region free" Apex Ad703 on ebay for 95 bucks..suckers... and want to replace it. I have a Sony that I use mainly for watching but want an all region as well so I am sold. Thanks guys/gals.
Old 12-12-02, 04:24 PM

Well I got the CH player last night and tried out my copies of Drive and Purple Storm, and I have to say that they looked even better than they did on my X-Box.
Old 12-12-02, 05:03 PM

i'm watched shaolin soccer last night, the universe dvd, and i paused it a couple times and got jumpy video on play back and when i watched the extra feature dance scene part, i'm getting some jumpy video for about a minute or so, it might have lasted longer but i either need to stop and start or fast forward then rewind to get it to stop. this is probably the 7-8 dvd i've watched on this unit and this is the first problem i've encoutered, the disc has always played well before, any one else getting problems like this with shaolin or with any other movies??

someone also mentioned here or on another forum about having roblems playing the spider man dvd, when playing the trailer, but i didn't encounter any issues with that disc.

just wondering.

pants
Old 12-12-02, 05:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by no pants
i'm watched shaolin soccer last night, the universe dvd, and i paused it a couple times and got jumpy video on play back and when i watched the extra feature dance scene part, i'm getting some jumpy video for about a minute or so, it might have lasted longer but i either need to stop and start or fast forward then rewind to get it to stop. this is probably the 7-8 dvd i've watched on this unit and this is the first problem i've encoutered, the disc has always played well before, any one else getting problems like this with shaolin or with any other movies??

someone also mentioned here or on another forum about having roblems playing the spider man dvd, when playing the trailer, but i didn't encounter any issues with that disc.

just wondering.

pants
I posted about the problem but not just with the spiderman dvd - that was just an example. My problems are just on the top of the picture right under the black bars on widescreen films.

I do not have Shaolin Soccer but the movies I have do not have any jumpy video. I have King of Comedy with Stephen Chow, if you have that, let me know if you have any problems and I can check mine.
Old 12-12-02, 05:58 PM

i'll try to check king of comedy tonight and see.

i really hope cyberhome's don't hate stephen chow. that would just suck. = )

pants
Old 12-12-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I just got my player BUT......after hooking up the s-cable and the audio everything is black and white...both region1 an 2.....am I missing something......

I feel like an idiot now.......
Old 12-12-02, 08:01 PM

That happened to me. It was because I put the video cable in the wrong slot.
Old 12-12-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

what do you mean....it is S-video in/out and Audio red-red/white-white.......what do I do wrong.....???

PLEASE someone help me out here....
Old 12-12-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

ok....got it......make sure that you set your player by using the NTSC code and after that if you're using an S-video input you have to switch/select the proper mode by going to the "main" video menu.

Hope this makes sense to anyone that might have any problems in the future.....
Old 12-13-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

One lasr question:

When you set up the video options from the main menu...do you guys pick the 4:3 option or do you pick the LTB(letterbox). In my case, I am watching my movies on 36 SONY but not the VEGA one.
Both times I get a widescreen presentation on my screen(which is what I am looking for) but am just curious.

I tried to compare last night bt I did not see any difference...maybe because I was tired....
Old 12-13-02, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
One lasr question:

When you set up the video options from the main menu...do you guys pick the 4:3 option or do you pick the LTB(letterbox). In my case, I am watching my movies on 36 SONY but not the VEGA one.
Both times I get a widescreen presentation on my screen(which is what I am looking for) but am just curious.

I tried to compare last night bt I did not see any difference...maybe because I was tired....
I use 4:3 LB, 4:3 Full stretches the picture top and bottom, on mine anyway.
Old 12-13-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist

You should use the "Letterbox" one. The other 4:3 option (often called 4:3 Standard on other DVD players) is meant to implement the pan-and-scan-on-the-fly feature on discs that are encoded with it. Very few discs have this encoding (Criterion 'Last Temptation of Christ', Canadian 'Brotherhood of the Wolf', etc), but on those few you will get a cropped picture.
Old 12-13-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank you for your post.

I will be using the Letterbox!!
Old 12-13-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I jumped on the bandwagon.... having it shipped to me. 74 bucks ain't nothing.
Old 12-13-02, 08:16 PM

the instruction book tells you how to reset everything to the original settings
Old 12-13-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

dyerjp is right....reset the player following the instructions in the book and then enter all the info all over again. This should do it!!
Old 12-13-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got my CH-500 Wednesday night, now I just need to get some of the hundreds of PAL and NTSC other region discs not available on Reg 1 or 0. There goes my budget.

I'm psyched!

cheers, Tony Block
Old 12-14-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

ha...Welcome to the Club:

Bliss for your soul, nightmare for your wallet!!!!
Old 12-14-02, 07:34 AM

i had a problem with one of my ch-dvd-500's a few days ago. when watchig a dvd, at the top i was getting some flickering and the picture looked funny at the top so i switched video cables instead of using the ones that i got with the player, i used ones from another player i had. it solved my problem. don't know if this will help anybody but it worked for me. i am using composite outputs on my other player on a 16x9 tv and it has been playing fine for about a 2 months now.
Old 12-14-02, 03:46 PM

CyberHome 500 Picture Problem

Those who have a problem with the picture on the top and top-left corner on some scenes like I do, I have some news.

I have been in contact with Argus and have arranged to do a swap with them. The tech support wants to take a look at my machine after I sent them videos of the described problem.

Once I receive the new machine, I will put it through the paces to see if the problem is still there. I will provide an update so others that have the same problem will know exactly if they should return or keep the 500.

If you have any problems, email Argus, they have been very receptive on listening to my issues (so far).
Old 12-14-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just ordered one from BB for $74 shipped for my sister. If the region free hack work, I'm gonna order my region 3 DVDs.
Old 12-14-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank's MAPSON....this is very kind of you.

Please, keep us posted sp we know what's going on.....
Old 12-14-02, 10:03 PM

I just picked this up from BB tonight after looking for a cheap DVD player. I was a little hesistant to buy it since I wasn't familar with the name and I didn't do my usual research before buying. But from what I've read so far, it looks to be good.

I was quite pleased with the performance and can't believe that it was only $69 plus tax. Loads of features and looks nice too.

I wasn't aware of the firmware. Is this necessary?
Old 12-15-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The firmware update is a good idea. It fixes a prob with SVCD playback, which might not be a big deal to you if you don't watch SVCD's. The 2nd part of the fix is for Dolby Digital 5.1, which more than likely is important to you.
Old 12-15-02, 11:26 AM

I have a few VCDs and only one DVD that I rented so I'm unable to see what this machine can do. I tried to view my digital camera pics and for some reason, it is always distorted on the top right corner of the screen. Any particular reason why?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.