Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Name of the Rose

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name of the Rose

I recently noticed a 5 minute running time difference in The name of the Rose. The laserdisc is 129 minutes and the reg 0 brazilian dvd is 124 minutes (although the label says 129 minutes). The dvd is ntsc NOT pal. Anyone know if it is a speed up issue or simply cut?
Old 11-15-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2 disc anamorphic sp ed due in December: http://www.dvd.it/index.cgi?sid=3367...s=Y&arti=24217
although for some reason it lists the RT as 100 mins. Hopefully this is just a mistake.
Old 12-19-02, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by jonathan.e
2 disc anamorphic sp ed due in December: http://www.dvd.it/index.cgi?sid=3367...s=Y&arti=24217
Has this edition been released yet? dvd.it lists it as available but dvdland.it does not. How reliable is dvd.it's on-line inventory status?

Last edited by cine; 12-19-02 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-20-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, been released. I got a couple of copies last week. Running time is 126 mins. Pic is decent without being spectacular although unfortunately the telecine work is poor in a couple of places where the frame rolls and/or judders in the gate. Quite shocking and something I’ve never seen on any other DVD. However it is only in a few places. Also some of the latin (I think) spoken in a few scenes is translated only into on-screen Italian subs. I don’t have any other version to check against so I can’t say for sure if these were originally translated on the English versions. Second disc contains a doco on the book and movie but is entirely in Italian with no subs.

It’s the best version currently available although there is room for improvement on a region one or UK region 2 version.
Old 12-24-02, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has an R1 been announced yet or should I pick up the R2?