DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Is there an all region version of Ringu? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/245816-there-all-region-version-ringu.html)

Gioman 10-24-02 01:10 PM

Is there an all region version of Ringu?

Just saw the remake (loved it!), and I think the original would make a good sight unseen addition to my collection.

For the record, I have a standard R1 Toshiba SD-3750, so I guess my only option is a R0 disc, right?

Are there any online sites that carry it, assuming I could play it that is?

-Gioman

-Shibs 10-24-02 03:45 PM

Well there are no Legit Region 1/0 NTSC versions that have english subs. You could import a Japanese version that doesn't have subs but you would have to be able to understand japanese.

There are however some Region 0 PAL releases you can get if your player converts the signal (although I don't think it does) or if you have something like a XBOX which does.

check out

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.2686/qx/details.htm

or

http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/detail...=7000000061312 (although this says region 2 I'm pretty sure its a region 0 disc, might want to double check with anyone thats ordered it from bensons before)

Here is another site with various merchants and info for you as well

http://ringworld.somrux.com/ringMerchandise.htm

Hope that helped :)

Gioman 10-24-02 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info!

Might be time to invest in a cheap DVD-ROM, since I'm pretty sure my player can't handle PAL.

-Shibs 10-24-02 04:14 PM

Yeah wouldn't be a bad idea, make sure the dvd-rom can be tweaked to region free though before you buy one.

I was going to do the same thing myself before I figured out Xbox converts PAL -> NTSC :)

Gioman 10-24-02 04:38 PM

Shibs, do you have to tweak the X-Box at all to convert the PAL signal?

Wow, I never thought I'd want to buy an X-Box. Forget the games, I can finally get Family Guy on DVD. :P

-Shibs 10-24-02 05:15 PM

No it converts the signal manually. I havn't tried it yet (my copies are being shipped) but I've asked here and had few people confirm that it does infact convert it.

Keep in mind though it only will play Region 1/0 if your in North America ..Not sure if Family Guy is Region 2 or not but yes its a nice thing to have, especially if your into gaming already.

Also if you hurry up theres a limited time bundle including 2 free games and a mail in rebate for full value of the DVD playback kit..Get out there and buy it quick :)

Edison 10-25-02 12:12 PM

Originally posted by -Shibs
No it converts the signal manually. I havn't tried it yet (my copies are being shipped) but I've asked here and had few people confirm that it does infact convert it.

<U>Keep in mind though it only will play Region 1/0 if your in North America</U> ..Not sure if Family Guy is Region 2 or not but yes its a nice thing to have, especially if your into gaming already.

Also if you hurry up theres a limited time bundle including 2 free games and a mail in rebate for full value of the DVD playback kit..Get out there and buy it quick :)

This has been noted in other threads, but the Xbox is not region set until you put a dvd remote dongle in the machine. So if you buy a brand new Xbox you can buy a region 2 dvd kit and your Xbox will be region 2 locked (Japan/Europe). Which is what I did because I already have plenty of region 1 players.

Trigger 10-27-02 06:43 PM

The UK Tartan releases of Ring and Ring 2 are Region 0 and PAL... if you have an Xbox - it will play them and properly convert the PAL signal to NTSC.

renaldow 10-28-02 07:09 AM

Or instead of spending $150 on an XBox, a $59 Apex DVD player will convert PAL/NTSC as well. Just an idea.

Trigger 10-29-02 12:21 AM

An Apex player doesn't convert PAL to NTSC as good as an Xbox does.

princessducky 10-29-02 01:53 AM

I'm sorry! I'm kinda confused. So, if I was to get a region code 3 DVD, I can play it on my XBOX? Do I need to do something to it first or is it I need to get a remote for it? TIA!

Trigger 10-29-02 04:56 AM

No - the Region 3 DVD will only play on a regionless player - AFAIK, the Region 3 version of Ring is the Korean release of the Japanese film and it doesn't have subtitles (but it's supposed to be really nice). The Xbox won't play DVDs from more than one region code... once you purchase and use a DVD Remote kit on the Xbox, it'll set the region.

The UK Tartan DVDs of Ring 1 and Ring 2 are supposed to be Region 2, but they are in fact Region 0 (Region 0 just means that it has no region coding and will play on any machine in any country). The UK uses a system called PAL for their TVs and it's different from NTSC like we use in the US. Most DVD players won't convert PAL to NTSC at all and any attempts will yield a colorless scrambled looking picture with a verticle hold problem. Some DVD players that have region free capabilities (cheapies like Apex, Sampo, Mintek etc...) will also do a PAL to NTSC conversion, but it's terrible at best... results are distorted in many cases. Your mileage may vary with the cheap players.

Now - the only players that will do a proper conversion of PAL to NTSC are DVD players with the mediamatics chip - like the Malata or certain JVC models, and the Xbox. As a DVD player, the Xbox is on par with a $200 or so unit in terms of quality. As for PAL to NTSC conversion, the Xbox is way better at it than the cheapie region free players like Apex, Raite, and Sampo. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could modify your Xbox so it could play DVDs from any region - this would void the warranty and reports say that Xbox Live won't work if you do this.

If you want your Xbox to play Region 3 DVDs, you have to buy a Region 3 dongle and remote kit from Asia... if you've already used a Region 1 DVD remote kit on it though, you're out of luck. Once the region is set, it's set.

If you want to play Region 3 DVDs in general, they're never PAL - so I'd just pop for a $60 Best Buy special cheapie DVD player. Keep your eyes on www.nerd-out.com forums to see what the newest cheap region free players are and where to get them and how to modify them. Not all $60 machines are region free, you have to find them, and some require codes punched in via the remote, some require a chip to be installed, while others require nothing and are region free out of the box like the Norcent from several months ago.

Player1327 10-29-02 11:44 AM

there's that one cheap player made by Classic that converts anamorphic PAL to NTSC pretty well. now only if i can find a place online to buy it.

renaldow 11-03-02 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
An Apex player doesn't convert PAL to NTSC as good as an Xbox does.
I've never seen any problems with a PAL conversion w/ the 600A. Like most of the players out there, it cannot convert PAL and anamorphic simultaneously (not a problem for me, as I've got a Wega w/ Anamorphic squeeze) are you saying the Xbox can do both simultaneously, like the JVC and Malata players?