DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   More AMAZON.FR trouble.....anyone know what's going on..... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/245618-more-amazon-fr-trouble-anyone-know-whats-going.html)

pro-bassoonist 10-23-02 07:07 PM

More AMAZON.FR trouble.....anyone know what's going on.....

I finally decided to order Le DOBERMANN, the double DVD set, from AMAZON.FR however am not sure what's the deal with it...

When I go to the DOBERMANN specs....the technical info clearly states that this is indeed the 2DVD Universal set....and yet the photo posted is from the painful TARTAN version. Anyone know if they indeed sell the Universal 2DVD set? The price is 32 Euro and that's how much almost every other store charges but then again...they have the single version photo posted......

Any help will be HIGHLY appreciated.......

adam barker 10-23-02 07:33 PM

The cover at Amazon.fr looks like the older single disk french edition, whereas the details on the page make it look more like the two disk version. (It's actually somewhat different to the Tartan UK cover).
Look where it says Plus d'images ! at amazon.fr and you see captures of screens with all the extras from the two disk set.
My guess is that its the two disk set but they've left the cover image from the old version.

See the two versions by doing a search for "dobermann" at www.dvdfr.com

Dazza 10-25-02 10:09 AM

I'd second what Adam just said. Amazon (& other etailers) sometimes have a different cover pictured on their site. I am pretty sure you'll be getting the 2-disc set.

So you finally took the plunge and ordered the French set? Good choice :)

Dazza.

pro-bassoonist 10-25-02 03:41 PM

Yes, I did DAZZA.....and was able to confirm that it is indeed the 2dvd set. For some reason they do have the old cover .....I dont know why....

I also ordered the L'Appartement (DTS) version.....as you could see, I am on my Bellucci/Cassel fix now.......

Hey......do you wanna recommend something else......similar to DOBERMANN......I am sure you have some good ideas/suggestions......it's gotta be French though....(I will be getting all of Cassel/Kasowitz/ movies that have english subs.....SOON.

Dazza 10-25-02 05:15 PM

Pro-bassoonist: Glad to hear that you got confirmation that it's the 2-disc edn. Be sure & post your thoughts on the film/discs once you receive it! :)

I can't think of anything else offhand that is that similar to "Dobermann" (it's a bit of a one-off!). Have you seen "Vidocq"? I think that this is a fine film, quite dark and fantastical (but not "Dobermann"-esque in terms of violence!). I enjoyed it very much, and think that you might like it if you haven't already seen it; it's atmospheric, and visually very stunning. And the good news for you is that the 2-disc French release has English subs...

Dazza.

roseart 10-25-02 05:20 PM

If you like Cassel, you should check out La Haine. I loved this movie.

pro-bassoonist 10-25-02 06:21 PM

...hmmm....no I have not seen Vidocq.....and if you recommend it then I should check it out.....it might be a sleeper.....but correct me if I am wrong....wasn't this a Full-screen only release? I am, quite sure that there was something "tricky" about this disc......

Nevertheless....though it is not a Dobermann-esque flick....I am definitely open for new siggestions....THANK'S!!

Dazza 10-26-02 01:01 PM

The French 2-disc "Vidocq" is presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic (well, the actual movie is - the 2nd disc is 1.33:1).
Perhaps the "tricky" release you're thinking of is the Hong Kong DVD? I've read that this is pretty bad - both ratio-wise & in terms of subs.

NB: Disc 2 contains 3 hours of extras, but no English subs on these features.

Dazza.

pro-bassoonist 10-26-02 02:07 PM

Thank's Dazza.....as always YOU'RE RIGHT!!!
So, I will be probably picking this one up....

Let me ask you another question......

Quite a few French sites list LA FIDELITE (s.marceau) as being repriced at 7.99EUR coming on 11/15/02....BESTDVD.COM has it for example.....but it lists another distributor-AVENTI..not...Gaumont.....Do you know anything about this? Are these guys legit....they are posted here but.....let me know your thoughts?

THANK YOU!!

Dazza 10-28-02 03:02 PM

"La Fidélité" - that's the one with Pascal Greggory, right? It was released on French DVD a couple of years ago but I think it is now OOP. Aventi must have picked up the rights for this new release.
Aventi are a UK-based company that deal in optical media, and they do have an interest in the market for French-language DVDs, so it sounds about right that they may have picked up this title. You can learn more about them here.

By the way, Guillaume Canet also stars in this film, and he also stars in "Vidocq"!

Dazza.

babka 10-29-02 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Dazza
Pro-bassoonist: Glad to hear that you got confirmation that it's the 2-disc edn. Be sure & post your thoughts on the film/discs once you receive it! :)

And the good news for you is that the 2-disc French release has English subs...

Dazza.

I have the 2-dvd set & it does not have English subs unfortunatley listed on the back nor specs on website. I have not played it but the cover says only french subs.

pro-bassoonist 10-29-02 10:42 PM

Dazza is this true?

Dazza 10-30-02 04:50 AM

My 2-disc "Vidocq" (R2 France, on the TF1 label) definitely has English subs (on the movie). However, I'm not doubting what babka says - I think that there is a 2-disc version available without English subs, but AFAIK it isn't the French release.
For more on this , read this thread, paying particular notice to the third (Hendrik's) post in the thread. Hopefully this will shed a little more light on this...

Dazza

pro-bassoonist 10-30-02 12:48 PM

Thank you....it's all clear now......AND FRENCH IT IS AGAIN!!!!

dleedlee 10-30-02 02:12 PM

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Thank's Dazza.....as always YOU'RE RIGHT!!!
So, I will be probably picking this one up....

Let me ask you another question......

Quite a few French sites list LA FIDELITE (s.marceau) as being repriced at 7.99EUR coming on 11/15/02....BESTDVD.COM has it for example.....but it lists another distributor-AVENTI..not...Gaumont.....Do you know anything about this? Are these guys legit....they are posted here but.....let me know your thoughts?

THANK YOU!!

I'm pretty sure there was a recent HK release of La Fidelite. Check dvdshelf.com or dddhouse.com

eXcentris 10-30-02 03:36 PM

To confirm the info from Dazza and Hendrik, DVDzone2 (the Belgium site) have BOTH the french and the dutch DVD available. If you check the specs, you will see that only the French DVD has English subs.

http://www.dvdzone2.com/cgi-bin/en/O...37&submit.y=20