International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Any comments about R4 "Underground"?

Old 10-12-02, 07:06 PM
BabyBuddha

Any comments about R4 "Underground"?

Here's a film I've been dying for on DVD -- I was hoping somebody would release Kusterica's 5 hour version (which I was fortunate enough to see here in NYC) but all I have found is a Region 4 release of the theatrical version. Before I plunk down the $$, was wondering if anybody has seen it, and could they comment on the quality. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of extras (read: none) but if the quality is good, I'd probably grab it.

HMV Australia has it for US$18!!

Anybody hear of plans of a R1 or R2 release?

Old 10-14-02, 01:04 PM

Not familar with Underground but now you've got me curious. I have been looking for Black Cat White Cat by this Director to no avail. Any clues there?
Old 10-14-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... look here... (of course, you need to understand spoken Serbian, or spoken French, or else understand written French, or written Dutch...)...

(nice movie, btw!)

. . . . . .
Old 10-15-02, 10:13 AM
BabyBuddha

Black Cat, White Cat was also fantastic, though much lighter than Underground. I've known about that French release and it really angers me that there are no subtitles.

Underground is a sort of history of Yugoslavia from the 40's to the present as seen through the eyes of two men. A group of people are being hidden from the Nazis in a large cellar. The man protecting them doesn't let them know that the war has ended (for reasons I won't spoil) and keeps them down there for over 40 years. But that is really only part of the story -- It's a film that has to be seen rather than told about. It manages to be both funny and extremely tragic -- it also has one of the greatest endings ever.

If you liked Black Cat, White Cat, you'll love this. (His earlier film Time of the Gypsies is also wonderful.)

Old 10-15-02, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the info! Afraid my Serbian is a tad rusty and my French has decompossed horribly into a seething mass of tendrils. I'll most definitly check these out.
Old 06-16-03, 04:05 AM
jla

Ok, so has anyone got the R4 release yet? Is the quality any good? For instance, are the subtitles removable?

As far as the movie goes, Underground is a shaking epic about Yugoslavia through three wars. I actually wouldn't say it's any similar to Black Cat, White Cat (which I found to be a quite disappointing goofy exercise in ethnic caricature).

Jesper
Old 06-16-03, 04:10 AM
jla

I just realized that there is another thread that answers my question. Sorry.