DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   What's the deal with the R2 Killer SE? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/242304-whats-deal-r2-killer-se.html)

boc4ever 10-09-02 11:12 AM

What's the deal with the R2 Killer SE?

I was thinking about ordering this from Bensons, but saw the run time was only 106 mins. Is this due to the PAL speedup? I also saw that the R2 French edition contains both the 110 minute cut, and also the 124 minute rare cut. Is this the one to get? Help!

Tyler_Durden 10-11-02 03:29 PM

The HKL disc is uncut, and the French release of the (apparently inferior) Taiwanese cut has a poor print and no English subtitles. I am confident that the HKL disc that is due out in a little over a week will deliver.

boc4ever 10-11-02 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
The HKL disc is uncut, and the French release of the (apparently inferior) Taiwanese cut has a poor print and no English subtitles. I am confident that the HKL disc that is due out in a little over a week will deliver.
Thanks for the confirmation on the HKL disc, so I guess the time was a result of the PAL speedup and not edits.

d2cheer 10-22-02 11:40 PM

Just wondering if anyone has gotten this DVD yet and has any opinions on it. Mine has shipped but not here yet....

axolotls return 10-22-02 11:44 PM

loveandbullets.com put up their review today

axolotls return 10-22-02 11:44 PM

http://loveandbullets.com/killerhkl.htm

Tyler_Durden 10-23-02 08:48 AM

Looks excellent... my copy should ship soon.

axolotls return 10-23-02 11:33 AM

I am pissed. Mine should've shipped today but stupid credit card company blocked the charge. Now instead of Friday, I'll have to wait until Monday. :(

eXcentris 10-23-02 06:49 PM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
The French release has no english subs on the Director's cut but it does have english subs on the longer Taiwanese cut. The French release also includes the original mono soundrack while the HKL version doesn't.

gabegarwick 10-23-02 08:35 PM

Ok, I'm sold. I now want to get this in addition to the Fox Lorber version I already have. But I'm confused...
On bensonsworld site I can only find a version released by MEDUSA COMMS. AND MKTG. LTD..... Is this the HKL version or what?

Thanks,
Gabe

d2cheer 10-23-02 09:41 PM

yes!!!!!!!!!!!

axolotls return 10-23-02 11:29 PM

medusa
/ \
hkl playboy

Keyser Soze 10-24-02 03:10 AM

Sounds intersting... but I think I'll hold onto my Criterion (even though it's not anamorphic) :(

-k
###

gabegarwick 10-24-02 05:42 PM

ah, thanks for the replies d2cheer & axolotl. I'll be getting mine soon :D

hey Keyser, I told your man Kobayashi that I'll trade you my HKL for your Criterion if it would make you happy. ;)

axolotls return 10-25-02 10:00 PM

There is one e-Bay right now, if you can't wait to import it. BTW, it looks real nice and the 5.1 is very subtle and not overcharged like those crappy HK versions.

Still, the best I've ever ever ever seen it!

Matt Stevens 10-28-02 03:19 PM

My comprehensive comparitive review of all the available DVD's for this film, including the new HKL release, is up at my website. Here is a sample capture comparitive...

http://www.deceptions.net/captures/compare4.jpg

Matt Stevens 11-01-02 11:14 AM

Just wanted to mention I am now positive that the Malata N996's newer firmware is not compatible with HKL's subtitles. They just flash by too quickly. So be advised... :(

axolotls return 11-01-02 12:36 PM

Is there a firmware newer than 11/2001? That's what I have and didn't notice a problem.

Matt Stevens 11-01-02 02:29 PM

No. It could be something that only happened with my player. I hope not.

Truffaut Fan 11-04-02 10:20 PM

I just received this today and have a question. I noticed the top line of the picture where the black border meets the picture is somewhat crooked on and off. It's really strange and I've never seen this on a PAL disc before. About 1/3 of the way over (going from left to right) the line is broken and seems to move up just a bit. It's a weird effect. If I pause the disc the line goes to normal. Any explanation for this? I'm using a JVC-500.

Also, I saw "combing" for the first time when I was scanning through the disc to check out the transfer quality. I rewound the segment and played it back and it was gone. I would've thought the combing effect would be consistent every time.

Jeff

axolotls return 11-04-02 11:28 PM

Change your filter setting. On the Malata, if this happens with a PAL DVD in Smart Mode. You have to switch to Still (but sometimes that screws up the interlacing if you are using an Interlaced TV).

I've only had that problem on the Tartan DVDs on my non-HD TV. If you watch the deleted scenes, on the Killer you probably go batty.

dvdfriendly 11-05-02 07:33 AM

My comprehensive comparitive review of all the available DVD's for this film ...
hey matt,
i don't want to be a pain in the a$$ but.... if you're talking about ALL available versions ......

.... where's the German DVD -wink-

zerotl 11-05-02 07:34 AM

Originally posted by axolotls return
Change your filter setting. On the Malata, if this happens with a PAL DVD in Smart Mode. You have to switch to Still (but sometimes that screws up the interlacing if you are using an Interlaced TV).

Tnx for the post. This actually worked, I have/had this problem with most of my HKL dvds. The crooked on/off finally stopped, but then it's still a little crooked and not perfect. Is there a way I can adjust another option to fix this? My TV is just a regular 27" going through svid. Any help would be appreciated and tnx again.

Oh and nice breakdown on the dvds Matt, proves that HKL is the best release of this Movie ever, well except the altering of the subs, this dvd is close to perfect.

axolotls return 11-05-02 10:30 AM

Some TVs offer a tilt adjustment (like a Sony WEGA). Glad to help.

Vanian 11-05-02 11:37 AM

Here's a link with all my KILLER DVD reviews as well as Matt Steven's.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/killerdvd.htm

Does the German release have English subtitles and is it still in print?

Vanian