Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Swordsman 2 - Mei Ah vs Tai Seng

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-03-02, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have thought that Mei Ah & Tai Seng had the same transfer but the reading of two reviews places the Tai Seng version at "surprisingly clean" and "image is crisp and contains a good level of detail, bringing out the best of the film’s beautiful and highly atmospheric cinematography".

The review of the Mei Ah version says "The picture quality of this DVD is only of average quality" and "contains too much grain and scratches"

Maybe it's just a different set of eyes, but I wanted to check with anyone who might have the Mei Ah version and ask them to weigh in.

Also, aspect ration? 1.85:1 or 2.35:1?

Thanks
Old 10-03-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Swordsman 2 - Mei Ah vs Tai Seng

Originally posted by elias
Also, aspect ration?
I do that too... "ration" my fingers always want to put an "n" after the "o" in ratio. I don't know why. Anyway - I haven't seen the Tai Seng version... I'd like to know if it's way better. I'm content with the Mei Ah version, but maybe I shouldn't be.
Old 10-03-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tai Seng has the habit of simply repackaging other discs with their label on it, so it would surprise me if there really is a difference. But if there is - oh well, I have the Mei Ah version and I'm satisfied with it. Not exactly stellar in terms of transfer, but unless they release this title anamorphically, I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

Cheers,

-matt
Old 10-04-02, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the replys.

I've got to work on that "ration", I do that way too often.

&, raithen, my thoughts exactly on Tai Seng's habits.

I'm going with Mei Ah.

Thanks again guys
Old 10-04-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Someone on the forum here reviewed the US version of this movie and didn't seem to like it much. I'm shocked cuz this movie is friggin great.
Old 10-04-02, 11:13 AM

The mei ah version is pretty grainy at times, but if your used to hk dvds of movies from teh early 90's you won't be in for a surprise.

Personally I thougth the movie was way too over-rated. Same with Draon Inn which had the same director. I found the story hard to follow, and the fight choreography was weak. I like wire work, but at least when woo-ping or other fight choreographers do wire work they mix in some real martial arts. The fight choreographer (his name is slipping my mind right now), just has people flying around and waving their arms around. Its pretty lame. Its definetely a wuxia/fantasy based martial arts flick.

Just my opinion though....a lot of others give htis movie alot of praise.
Old 10-04-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Side note:

Hurray for DVDReview:

The Legend Of The Swordsman review