Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

(Disney's) La Belle et la Bête [Version intégrale] - Édition Collector 2 DVD

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-01-02, 01:37 AM

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part but the listing of this on Amazon (France) only denotes one version, is this true, or is the worldwide release of this film on DVD have all three versions (IMAX, original, and work-in-progress) crammed on the first disc?
Four and half hours of video on a single disc has me insanely worried about compression. Amazon also denotes that the film has a Dolby Digital EX (English/French audio tracks), of course Amazon could be wrong, but it's not uncommon that the French releases of past (and future) releases have had superior audio tracks (i,e. "Sleeping Beauty"/"Hercules" - DTS)

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...345352-7260255
Old 10-01-02, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...don't know about the "IMAX version" - whatever that's supposed to mean - but this dvdfr fiche indeed mentions THREE versions, including the original, the "work in progress" - whatever that means - and the latest version (with added musical number, I suppose)...

...as for "Four and half hours of video on a single disc"... I suspect there will be no need for that: they will use seamless branching - one hopes...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 10-01-02 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-01-02, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Hendrik
...don't know about the "IMAX version" - whatever that's supposed to mean - but this dvdfr fiche indeed mentions THREE versions, including the original, the "work in progress" - whatever that means - and the latest version (with added musical number, I suppose)...

...as for "Four and half hours of video on a single disc"... I suspect there will be no need for that: they will use seamless branching - one hopes...

. . . . . .
What I meant by that is that I find it utterly amazing that 3 complete versions of the film are on one disc:

- Original theatrical version
- "Imax" Director's Cut
- Full length Storyboard Rough Animation "Work in Progress" version.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the folks at Disney are using all the space on a DVD to it's full limit. It's even surprising to note from your link Hendrik, that the French version somehow seems to manage squeezing a French DTS track as well. Disney should have done what Ghibli Studio does with it's 2 Disc releases and add the "Work in Progres" version on the the second supplements disc. This is one of few releases where a third disc would have made sense.

Last edited by Giles; 10-01-02 at 08:54 AM.