Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Need info on JVC Multicode, PAL/NTSC DVD players

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-02, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard there are 4 JVC DVD players which are supposedly multicode and convert PAL to NTSC so PAL DVD's can be played on U.S. NTSC TV's. I have an older APEX which is OK but won't play every PAL disc I've bought. I considered the Malata but with the long list of problems posted on this forum I'm hesitant to get one, especially with a new model just out (how many problems will this one have?). If anyone knows about these players (Matt?), I would like to know what they think of them (especially how well they convert PAL). The models are XV-S608K, XV-SA70, XV-F80, and XV-S500. Thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 06-01-02, 03:12 PM

I bought a JVC XV-S60BK from forum member Matt Stevens and I could not be happier. (Thanks Matt!). I am in Hong Kong Legends heaven .
Old 06-01-02, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the input jomalley2001!
So, does Matt Stevens recommend and /or sell this player?
Also, does it have the chip that converts PAL to NTSC so well (like the Malata)?
Old 06-01-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The JVCs do a great job converting PAL->NTSC.
Old 06-01-02, 07:25 PM

Thanks nekobus! Looks like I'll be getting a JVC player.
Mike
Old 06-03-02, 08:06 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

PM "CKNA" over at AVSforum.com about JVC units. I sold mine because I have so many region free players, it became absurd. The JVC should please just about everybody. It's a fine player. I have one left in my bedroom.
Old 06-03-02, 09:39 PM

Thanks Matt! You obviously know more about these players than most anyone. How does the JVC compare to the Malata when it comes to converting PAL to NTSC? Does it have the same chip as the Malata? Also. what about the XY (again like the Malata)? I want to know this to decide between the JVC and seeing how the new Malata pans out (new or different problems from the old model). Please let me know what you think about any difference between the two players Matt.
Mike
Old 06-03-02, 10:04 PM

the JVC has the same chip as the Malata, but it does not have the same XY functionality. This means the JVC will perform PAL-to-NTSC conversion perperly, but you cannot independently scale the X-Y axis. I belive the JVC does has the zoom funtion enabled. Features-wise, the Malata is still the best.

J.T.
Old 06-04-02, 09:29 AM
Banned

Re: Need info on JVC Multicode, PAL/NTSC DVD players

Originally posted by foxjam
I have heard there are 4 JVC DVD players which are supposedly multicode and convert PAL to NTSC so PAL DVD's can be played on U.S. NTSC TV's. I have an older APEX which is OK but won't play every PAL disc I've bought. I considered the Malata but with the long list of problems posted on this forum I'm hesitant to get one, especially with a new model just out (how many problems will this one have?). If anyone knows about these players (Matt?), I would like to know what they think of them (especially how well they convert PAL). The models are XV-S608K, XV-SA70, XV-F80, and XV-S500. Thanks in advance.
Mike
I'm confused. Do you have to buy these models already upgraded for codefree playing? or is there a way to just buy them and "crack" it?

Please let me know.
Old 06-04-02, 10:56 AM

the jvc's will convert pal to ntsc out of the box (I don't know about models 608 or 500 though). They have to be modified for multi-region. Lots of info at avsforum.com if you do a search. I have a jvc 75 and am generally quite happy with it. I chose the jvc over the malata because of the risk factor. Too many people with too many problems. Some people have had no problems. But the fact that one had to ship to Canada for repairs made my decision.

If you have a 16:9 widescreen tv you should get the malata for perfect xy scaling. The jvc has a zoom function but it is not the same. If you have a 4:3 tv with anamorphic capability, it does not matter.

The only other thing regarding the jvc is that I have seen some smearing in dark scenes - I don't know however if it is the player or the dvd encoding. I have also seen some weird coloration problems with some b/w dvd's - a splotchy magenta effect in certain parts of the frame. I brought this particular problem up before, but aside from CKNY @ avsforum no one else saw it. I have many bw movies and am very particular so go figure... But, it was easily 'fixed' by programming one of the user functions in the player to turn down the chroma saturation to a minimum.

Finally, regarding the malata, perhaps the quality control has been boosted with the new model that is being released. It is cheaper than the jvc (given that you have to spend a little xtra for the jvc mod) so that may make your decision. At the end of the day - if you get a good malata, then it seems like the two players are on par with each other, with the malata having the xtra advantage of xy scaling for widescreen tv owners.

That should answer every question and more.

Last edited by bhomatude; 06-04-02 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-04-02, 11:20 AM
Banned

wait...no i'm confused.

You said the JVC's do it out of the box...but you have to get them modified? How does that make sense???

What's the most economical AND best way to watch PAL videos.

The Malata???
Old 06-04-02, 04:16 PM

The JVC converts out of the box, but you have to get it modified to play non-R1 discs. I have the VX-S65 and it works perfectly fine. I don' t have a widescreen TV, so I can't comment on the xy-scaling, yet I wonder how critical that is since the 16:9 TV should play the image, but without minimizing the letterboxing (aren't we all used that by now anyway?).

I'm very happy with the JVC, so many cool European DVDs at your disposal. I guess HK films, too, but I'm not HK fanboy...
Old 06-05-02, 06:02 PM

These guys have already beaten me to the punch in explaning this, but here is the short story:

The JVC must be modified to play Region 2 and up DVD's. Out the box, it can play PAL signals and does the conversion properly, even zooming in non-anamorphic widescreen material for widescreen HDTV's. No HDTV = don't worry about that function.
Old 06-06-02, 08:54 AM
Banned

So basically what you're saying is that the JVC is an alternative to the malata...although you have to pay more for it to be modified and it will also take more time to get??? What's the deal with choosing it then?

Bottom line:

Is the Malata really the cheapest and best way to watch DVD's from other regions?
Old 06-06-02, 12:19 PM

Yes. It's been said time and time again and the answer is still the same.
Old 06-11-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let me get this straight. My JVC XV-SA70 that was bought here in the US, can be modified to play R2 discs, correct? I have a couple of R2 discs including Sleeping Beauty import.
So please tell me , can i do this myself? Who can i take it to? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-11-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you can modify it yourself but it requires some schematics, probably a new chip, and you need to be handy with a soldering iron. Doubt if JVC has a remote or CD-R hack.

You can also take it to someone, but since it's technically illegal to do this sort of thing commercially within the US (subject to debate), it might be hard to find someone who can or will do this for you unless you hear through word of mouth.

In either case, if you do intend to mod your machine, you should probably wait until the normal warranty has expired before modifying the machine.

Earthstations.com which is relatively nearby to you used to sell kits and upgrade chips, but looking at their website I don't see anything related to mods anymore. You may want to give them a call, perhaps they can recommend a person. In the Hardware Forum, I seemed to recall some people having mod experience as well...

After all of this, it's probably much much easier (and probably cheaper) to simply buy a modded JVC or Malata instead.
Old 06-11-02, 01:38 PM

I just bought the XV-S500 and found its picture quality to be very soft comparing to my Pioneer DV-414.

Does the Malata which also uses the Mediamatics chip also have the soft picture like the JVC XV-S500?

How is the picture quality when playing NTSC or PAL discs of Malata 520 comparing to Pioneer DV-414 and JVC XV-S500?
Old 06-11-02, 02:19 PM

I want to add more information.
I use an S-video cable to connect the Pioneer/JVC DVD player to a 24" Sony Wega monitor.

Therefore, I would like to know the comparison of the picture quality of Malata/JVC/Pioneer when connecting with S-video (480i mode).
Old 06-15-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I region-modded my JVC XV65GD, got the little bitty chip from "CKNA" from the AVS forum (cost around $65 including shipping - since I got the player for $130 delivered, I thought it was a good overall deal). The mod requires you to be quick and nimble with a low wattage (5W or so) soldering iron, and just following the instructions printed on a so-so color printer (the wires are color-coded and the exact solder points are pointed out in the schematic.

So if you're solder-iron-inclined, it's a good way to open up the other regions to you. I don't have any bad things to say about the JVC's PAL-to-NTSC conversion, works fine for me.
Old 06-16-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can someone mod my JVC XV-SA70 ? I live in California.
Old 06-18-02, 10:34 AM

AVSforum.com's CKNA is the man you need to talk to.
Old 06-18-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a JVC XV-SA70 from dvdoverseas.com (based in NW suburbs of Chicago) and I'm very happy with it. Easy region changes, and I chose this particular model for the progressive scan output. I'm component-connected to my widescreen TV. A marvelous machine all around, and proper aspect ratios even with PAL conversion.

Last edited by shill66; 08-08-02 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-18-02, 09:16 PM

I got my JVC XV-SA70 yesterday and I am very happy with it. It plays several PAL DVD's that my Apex wouldn't and my Hong Kong Legends DVD's finally look right. I would recommend this player to anyone wanting an all region player that converts PAL to NTSC.
Mike
Old 06-19-02, 03:34 AM

Does the JVC XV-S502SL have the same PAL/NTSC chip that the S70 has?

Jeff

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.