Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help with a recommendation for French or Italian love story

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-28-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could recommend to me and my girlfriend a serious(not comedy) love story, either a French or Italian production.

We saw 'Le Appartement with Monica Belucci and absolutely loved it. So if you could give us a hint what to look for this would be much appreciated. It does not matter if the DVD is region 2(we live in the States) as long as it is a good quality.....

I also saw another movie that was set in Paris, but can not recall the title....., it was about a very rich french couple....the plot went something like the new Count of Monte Cristo version.....two friends, one girl(however very rich) that kept harassing the guy she liked. She treated him like someone she was not interested in only because he was not rich enough(the issue was mostly due to the anger coming from her family). At the end, however, after a lot of twists and under a lot of personal attacks from her family they got together. So, anyway...I can not remember the title but it was a story line we both liked.....tragic, hurting a bit, but very romantic.

HENDRICK....perhaps you could recommend something...in the past I have asked you for some advise on foreign movies(European) and you have been absolutely great. Romantic story would be great if it involves something like the above-mentioned plot line.

European films is what we are interested in....in general.

Thank's for your assistannce in adavance!!
Old 09-28-02, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Camille Claudel, and L'Histoire d'Adele H, both with the astonishing Isabelle Adjani. And of course, Cyrano de Bergerac. And then there's also Indochine. All great historical dramas (except for Cyrano which is more of a tragi-comedy) with a strong element or romance/tragedy. All are available in R1.
Old 09-28-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I second "Adèle H" - of course!!!... also Régis Wargnier's "Indochine" and from the same director Est-Ouest (the French R2 disc has optional English subtitles)...

...my laptop is acting up dammit!... --- also I just stepped out of "Zardoz" after the first c.30 minutes - what were they thinking of when they made that idiotic mess?... so my mood is not good at the moment...

...you specified French and/or Italian movies... how about that relative rarity: a very good German movie? I'm thinking of Aimée & Jaguar (believe it's available on R1 DVD)... or a pretty damn good Dutch movie: The Fourth Man (on Anchor Bay, with commentary by the Director, Paul Verhoeven)... or a beautiful, very romantic Spanish movie: Julio Medem's The Lovers Of The Polar Circle (the Spanish R2 disc has optional English subtitles)... from Italy there's Bernardo Bertolucci's mostly English-language "Stealing Beauty"...

...from France I would recommend Diane Kurys' lovely-to-look-at period piece Les Enfants du siècle (the French DVD has optional English subs)...

...and what about Wong Kar-Wai's Hong Kong romance In The Mood For Love...?...

...how "good" are these movies?... well, IMNSHO every single one of them is - at the very least - interesting... and fwiw I didn't feel like turning off my DVD player even ONCE while watching them!...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-28-02 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-28-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank you so much eXcentis and esp. Hendrik!!

We however own almost all of these: American Beauty; The Story of Adele H; The 4th man, In the mood for Love.....

I have not seen yet Aimee and Jaguar...sounds very interesting...I will definitely take a look at it.

Perhaps, however, I did not make myself clear enough....I was looking for something that you guys(people that have access to international releases not available in the US) could recommend something more contemporary....say, from the last 3-5 years.

The reason why I am asking for this is because I know that Hendrik for example has a pretty sophisticated "Euro-taste" so to speak and knows about productions that not only are not available in the US ....but they are not even mentioned around here!! Example:
Me and my friend got Dobermann and Le Appartement....however we NEVER really heard anything about them before. Needless to say...they BLEW US AWAY!! Esp. Le Appartement!!!! Now...with this said we are not looking for the same movie under a different name. Simply French/Italian movies that we might have missed in the sea of Hollywood releases....more contemporary, urban style...so to speak....I hope this makes sense. AND...I am sure we have.

We also saw the trailer for IRREVERSABLE.....but here in the US there is not even a tiny bit of information available about it. Something like that would be perfect......

Thank you once again for the above-mentioned movies. They are absolutely great....AND WE OWN most of them.....for those we do not....I will be placing an order shortly....esp. Aimee and Jaguar.

Waiting for your suggestions.......many thanks!!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 09-28-02 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-28-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....forgot to ask.....though this is absolutely off-topic....

Is WASABI...the Jean Reno movie....available ANYWHERE with English subs.......does not matter if they are burnt......
Old 09-29-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...a contemporary French love story, eh?!... if you're a big fan of the delectable Sophie Marceau (I know I am!) I recommend La Fidélité... I can guarantee that the lady never looked lovelier - and the movie gives you almost three hours in which to admire her... the French DVD offers optional English subtitles...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-29-02 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-29-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

EXACTLY what I am looking for. ABSOLUTELY GREAT!!!

Thank's Hendrik!!

Now... anything else you might have like this movie just post.....

Perfect...this is what I wanted......

Now....off to preorder this puppy.....
Old 09-29-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.cesarducinema.com/editions.html

Start at 2001 and you can work your way back as far as you like.
Old 09-29-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank you....I did not know about the existence of this web page.

Very well done!!!
Old 09-29-02, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
....forgot to ask.....though this is absolutely off-topic....

Is WASABI...the Jean Reno movie....available ANYWHERE with English subs.......does not matter if they are burnt......
dddhouse and some other HK retailers have the Winson DVD of "Wasabi" with English subs. Marked Region 3 but actually all region.
Old 09-30-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...finally finished watching "Zardoz" - what a mess!... I now feel duty-bound to return to it in order to hear the Director's commentary... hard to believe the same man who made "Point Blank" and "Hell In The Pacific", both four-star movies in my book, came up with the sorry "Zardoz" - and even harder to believe that Sean Connery allowed himself to be outfitted with red diapers and thigh-high booties...

...ok - rant over... back to French love stories: seeing the delectable Charlotte Rampling being bitchy reminded me of her indelible performance in François Ozon's 2001 Sous le sable... the lady is one fine actress!

. . . . . .
Old 09-30-02, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yep....I could not agree more about Zardoz.......I have no idea like you what this was meant to be. It would have been very interesting to know!!!

Sous le sable.......it is region 1....and no I have not seen it. I have to find it and rent it now......

Thank you again!!