International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Initial D DVD Available?

Old 09-26-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Initial D DVD Available?

Anyone know if the anime Initial D (R1) is available for sale anywhere? Just finished watching the first eposide and loved it! I'm a fan of imports and racing.

I've seen some DVD's on ebay, but don't want to support the bootleggers (assuming these are bootlegs). Any information would be appreciated!

Edit: Some of you may notice that I post this same question in the DVD Talk forum. I tried to delete it, but don' t think it worked. If any of the mods can help me out I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-27-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tokyopop (www.tokyopop.com) will be releasing the DVDs in the US. I think they will also be getting the show on TV.
Old 09-27-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ellone,

Thanks for the info... I was looking for some info on Tokyopop and came across some disturbing info. It seems that Tokyopop is attempting to "mainstream" their release of Initial D. They will be "westernizing" the character names. In addition to that, they are also having Takumi delivering pizza rather than tofu.

If this is true, I'll be seriously disappointed. It's crap like this that sometimes make getting "bootlegs" appealing. So in the end, everyone loses. The company selling the DVD, because they butchered the release and the consumer because they have to resort to usual subpar bootlegs just to get the original stuff.
Old 09-27-02, 06:44 PM

Tokyopop will only be "mainstreaming" the english dub of Initial D that they will be showing on, presumably, Cartoon Network. The R1 dvds of Initial D will still contain a Japanese language track with the original names and setting. I would imagine that the dub track of the R1 dvd will be the same as the tv version though. If you like your anime subtitled and in its original language, you should be just fine.

And I can't wait for this series either...
Old 09-28-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info Siberian! This makes me feel much better and has only increased my anticipation for this title.

I am so stoked about this series finally coming to DVD (bootlegs excluded).
Old 09-28-02, 06:08 PM

But that's not all

Tokyopop has not confirmed that they have the original music that was so integral to Initial D though. And I don't believe that actually have a deal with any television network, much less CN. They claim that execs are hot for it but think about it: it's a tv show about illegal street racing and the only adults in it actually encourage it!

I hate what Tokyopop plans for the dub -- they've already butchered the Manga with the Western "nicknames" and their response to that name change was downright insulting to the fans. I like subs as well as any other anime fan, but I think it is wrong to alter the names on a dub, sort of like when they changed Wong Fei Hung to Freddy in the old Drunken Master dub.

I hope no network picks it up, then Tokyopop won't have an excuse to westernize the show.

Edit:

And those eBay sets are indeed boots if they have subtitles. There are legit releases in Hong Kong but they are unsubbed. The sound on them is echoey because it is a 5.1 conversion of a 2.0. The video is no better than VHS . The only thing that is surprising is that the subtitles are quite good. I would hold off until Tokyopop releases the discs to see what they actually do.

Last edited by Harlock415; 09-28-02 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-29-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info Harlock...

It's so tempting to pick up the series on ebay, but I don't want to support something that won't help me get future releases of titles I want.

I sincerely hope that TokyoPop does not butcher this title, but I have my doubts. Oh well, I haven't heard of any expected release date so I guess I shouldn't worry to much for the time being.
Old 08-12-03, 09:41 AM
Banned

Apparently the release date for this is Sept 16th...anyone checked anywhere for a good price on pre-orders???

haha I just saw the trailer for the Tokyopop version and I tell you the only reason I am considering geting the R1 release is for the video and audio quality of the original version that the bootlegs don't have...I think that the english eps are a waste of space...we could have 3 addition eps on each dvd!

It looks far too westernised for me but I would be interested to see how much they have actually altered in both audio and video...

I don't know but the 'bootlegs' for the entire series can be bought for ~$50-60USD where as Tokyopop will be ~$20USD per 3 eps...I dont know if its worth it...and it looks as though they will be releasing the First Stage over the span of 1 yr plus...I don't think I can be that patient as I want to see the Second Stage

Maybe I will just get the entire series first to watch then get one R1 dvd and compare the quality and see if it convinces me

anyone else planning to pre-order these dvds?? if so where???

EDIT: hey I was just looking through yesasia and I found this:http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...ection-videos/

Anyone know the contents of this?? If the versions are different to the original releases?? Maybe an addition of english subtitles maybe??(doubts it very much)

Last edited by motlking; 08-12-03 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-12-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DVDs from what I understand will be double-sided, with three episodes each. Once side will have the original Japanese versions, and the other side will have the same three episodes in their "tricked-out" versions (i.e., dubbed and altered for American audiences).

So if you buy the R1s, you'll have both versions.

Jeremy
Old 08-12-03, 03:48 PM

BIG warning to anyone planning on getting the R1 versions of this series...

Animeondvd.com just posted this review, and it doesn't look good: http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/alt_reviews/923.php

There are apparently severe edits even to the so-called "original" Japanese version in addition to incredibly lame edits to the "tricked-out" (ugh!) dub version. If there is an other-region, non-bootleg alternative to this, I think we should not buy this series in R1 and give Tokyopop a message that anime fans shouldn't have to put up with this kind of nonsense.
Old 08-12-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw that too...good post!

Jeremy
Old 08-12-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really disappointed that TokyoPop did not keep their word and butchered the "Classic" version.

This was so very high on my want list. However, with all the changes that have been made, I will probably pass on it until a later date.