Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Brief Reviews of R2 French DVDs: Hou Hsiao Hsien, Fruit Chan, Kiarostami

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-20-02, 03:38 PM

Some brief looks at just released French DVDs. I'm not going to review the movie content.

Millennium Mambo LE (2 DVD): beautiful packaging, similar to the ITMFL R2 Limited Edition set. Gorgeous 16:9 transfer w/ removeable english and french subs, average bit rate: 8.7MB, DD 5.1
Supplements Disc: subbed in French only, 40 min. interview with Hou, Deleted Scenes (13 min), and misc other stuff

Goodbye South, Goodbye: fantastic 16:9 transfer, puts the Winstar R1 DVD to shame. NO ENGLISH SUBS.

Made in Hong Kong: another great 16:9 transfer, and again no english subs.

The Wind Will Carry Us (2 DVD): very nice 16:9 transfer, supplements disc includes a lecture on filmmaking with Kiarostami (52 min), "A Week with Kiarostami" a documentary by Yuji Mohara (90 min), and trailers

Kiarostami, Hou Hsiao Hsien, and Fruit Chan.. cheers to the French!

I hope the French continue to release quality Asian cinema (with english subs!). They do a good job. Now I guess I will have to make timed scripts for the latter two. If the company (TF1) that produced the ITMFL and Millennium Mambo box sets releases more Wong Kar Wai, like.. ASHES OF TIME Edition Limitee, I will drool all over myself!
Old 09-20-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info. The big question, however, is: does the supplements disc on the Kiarostami DVD have English subs? I'd love to see that lecture on filmmaking with Kiarostami and the "A Week with Kiarostami" documentary, but my French is horrible.
Old 09-20-02, 05:04 PM

Oops, I forgot to mention that the Kiarostami set is completely subbed in English, even the supplements. This is the one to get, not the New Yorker version that came out in R1.