DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   One & only Malata [non-520] advice thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/232645-one-only-malata-%5Bnon-520%5D-advice-thread.html)

Bleddyn Williams 03-29-03 04:51 PM

Unless your player has the switch in the back, you will have to pay someone to do the upgrade for you. It does fix DTS dropouts.
I don't have this switch, and have started having periodic DTS dropouts. How does one go about having this upgrade done?

RichardW - did you ever get the work done?

RichardW 03-29-03 05:22 PM

Bleddyn,

I never got around to getting my Malata firmware upgraded. Since it's my only player, I'd have a hard time going without it for a period of time. I did get the name of someone from Matt Stevens. You can get his email address above in this thread.

At some point I will get this done, but I'll probably get another player before then. Since I don't have any non-R1 DTS discs, it's not really a big priority. Yet. :)

philo 03-29-03 10:48 PM

Is the firmware that fixes the DTS dropouts on the 996 still available? A post above mentioned HKFlix, but I wasn't able to find it.

Bleddyn Williams 04-21-03 01:54 PM

Crumbs, I'd forgotten I'd posted in this thread! Hi, Richard!

My DTS problem persists - and I keep stiffing when searching for discussion of this. I ended up in this thread again, which I guess I initially found when I last searched on this topic about a month ago.

Matt Stevens was certainly very helpful in the past, perhaps too much so - he's removed his email link from this site! That's too bad - he was the person who brought the Malata to my attention in the first place.

Maybe I'll just buy a new machine down the road - another Malata or a JVC. I'm comfy with the Malata and its X-Y scaling, but maybe this wonky DTS issue still exists with newer models. I have no idea!

I have noticed one other issue with my 996, and I've not read anyone else bringing this up...

For anime discs, where there is a lot of subtitle action (for example the "vid-notes" on the Excel Saga discs) there are often a number of subtitles onscreen at once. While on my upstairs Pioneer player the subtitles appear one after the other, slowly building up onscreen, on my Malata, every time another caption is added, the ones currently onscreen disappear and pop back into place, along with the new caption.

This makes watching discs like Excel or Neon Genesis Evangelion testing, as the subtitles are flashing on and off a fair bit. Does anyone who might have these discs know if this problem exists on the current JVC (or Malata) players?

Bleddyn Williams 04-23-03 03:20 PM

Oh NO!

Ol' Threadkiller strikes again!

Bleddyn Williams 05-02-03 08:45 AM

Malata N996 Upgrade

My Malata 996 has served me very well for a long time, but it has been developing DTS dropouts in the last couple of months.

I don't have the latest firmware, which I understand solves the problem. But how does one get this done?

If you have had this work done, or know who to contact, please post your info. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this forum who would benefit from this info.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Bleddyn

Trencher 05-04-03 09:38 AM

You might want to try your luck at the Malata forum at nerd-out.com

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewfo...p?forum=17&166

axolotls return 05-04-03 02:14 PM

Go to nerd.out and search the Malata forum for a german website that has all the firmware for you to download.

philo 05-04-03 06:12 PM

Does anyone know the exact date of this DTS firmware?

axolotls return 05-07-03 11:24 AM

November 2001

philo 05-07-03 06:00 PM

Thanks.

I expected it to be much more recent than the Nov 9th firmware. I thought it might have been one of the Chinese firmwares on Malata's site.

That Nov 9th firmware is available at the German site mentioned above. This is the site Just click the download section.

You can also find it here with full instructions for the upgrade.

Strange why certain discs would give people problems. Did they change the way DTS is encoded on newer discs or something?

axolotls return 05-08-03 12:33 AM

Yep. That's the page I was referring to. 11/9 was the firmware. Anything after that -might- for different N996 clones. So tread carefully. I had the Malata Site (Chinese) translated for me once (they had the firmwares on their site) and none were applicable to my machine past the 11/01 firmware.

speedy1961 06-07-03 12:26 PM

Need Help Changing Malata 996 To Play Other Regions

I just got a used 996 cheap and while it converts PAL automatically, it only plays region 1 and 0. I could find lots of stuff with geek talk about how great it but no one saying what the actual code was or how to make this machine play other regions.

(of course, unit came with no owners manual).

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Josh Z 06-07-03 01:08 PM

Once you've started up the player, hold down the CLEAR button until the picture goes out. Release, and then push the numerical button of the region # that you want. Release, and then push PLAY.

The DVD logo screensaver will come back up with a message that says "Welcome to DVD World". You can then play a disc from that region you have chosen.

If you turn off the player, it automatically resets to Region 1 the next time you turn it on.

speedy1961 06-07-03 01:09 PM

Thanks Josh!

You are da man.

cine 08-23-03 07:19 PM

Problem Playing Stuart Little 2 on Malata N996

I'm having problem playing SL-2 on the Malata N996: the disc doesn't play past the Main Menu. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there any work-around?