Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

2 versions of Joint Security Area

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-02, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that there are two versions of this available on DVD. One is Region 0, the other is Region 1 and is 2 discs.

Unless the suplements are incredible I don't really care for suplements(if they are great let me know).

I just want the disc with the best audio and video. They both seem to be 16x9 and DTS.

Is one better than the other?
Old 08-14-02, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one disc is the Hong Kong release by Modern. Not much in extras, but cheaper. Not anamophic, but the transfer is about equal to the Korean release (from what I've read).
I have the Korean release. Although a nice package, with extras to boot, they aren't stuff I'd really watch over and over. Most seem to be talking heads style interviews. The film is anamorphic and as a gimmick, the disc states that the film is presented as a superbit. The bitrate is pretty decent, but the image is only good in my opinion.
Still, it's your call. I'm happy with what I've got, but if you don't care and don't want to spend on extras you wont understand, go for the one disc from places such as dddhouse.com etc, etc...
Old 08-15-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am thoroughly satisified with the HK DVD. Usually I choose the Korean Versions. But not this time.
Old 08-15-02, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The HK version of JSA is great - one of the few Modern releases that's good at all. It's cheap too. Incidently, I don't think either disc is Region 1.
Old 08-15-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched the Modern release tonight on my brand new Hitachi 57SWX20B. Movie was excellent! Just wish I owned that anamorphic Korean release instead. Anybody want to trade? I could throw in another disk. Check out my trade list in the exchange forum.
Old 08-15-02, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by yangshouwen
... as a gimmick, the disc states that the film is presented as a superbit. The bitrate is pretty decent, but the image is only good in my opinion....
So it's not superbit?

I just bought the Korean version and was wondering if it was or not.

As for the image quality, I agree with yang and other reviews (in Korea) of JSA, that it's good, not great.
Old 04-08-05, 01:23 PM

Quick question about the ending:

the ending scene is that in the past, where all 4 seems to be in the same location. or is that the present? I suppose its the past and just a sentimental scene to end the movie?
Old 04-08-05, 02:04 PM

The Korean release is region 1 and 3

as to the ending, it could possibly be an alternate ending.
Spoiler:
Like instead of killing each other, they do defect to the North

Last edited by dhasegaw; 04-08-05 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-08-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ktan1
Quick question about the ending:

the ending scene is that in the past, where all 4 seems to be in the same location. or is that the present? I suppose its the past and just a sentimental scene to end the movie?
The last scene is actually a flashback (this time from a different camera angle) to a scene which occurs around the middle of the film. The scene in the middle is when some tourists are taking a tour of the guard post area and one of them has their hat blown off and the guard picks it up and hands it back.
Old 04-19-05, 05:25 PM

thanks flix, i thought it was a flashback.

alot of good korean movies out focusing on the north/south issue. double agent was another good one i recently saw.