Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Police Story questions/discussion

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Police Story questions/discussion

Old 10-05-01, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the best version of Jackie Chan's Police Story available?

I've heard there are quite a few version of it. What is the best one? This is what I've been told is the best so far. Is that correct?

edited to add: Also, is there a big difference between the US "Who am I?" and the original?

Last edited by cartman; 10-05-01 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-05-01, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re.

Cartman -

Here's a link to a review of POLICE STORY that will tell you all you could want to know about the various home releases.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/policestory.htm

For WHO AM I?, check out this link.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/whoami.htm

Vanian
Old 10-05-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many thanks for those links. Where would one purchase the HKL Police Story, and the Pioneer Japan Who am I? I've tried the online sites I know of, but couldn't find them (aside from on www.amazon.co.jp, they had the Who am I DTS).
Old 10-05-01, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For all HKL releases, I and many other people have had great luck with Bensonsworld. They probably have the best prices for orders outside Europe. As always, a region-free player and PAL->NTSC conversion is required.
Old 10-05-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts
Police Story is my 14th HKL disk. It just arrived yesterday, so I'll check it out this weekend. I second the recommendation of Bensons World, they have the best balance of prices and customer service.

I have also had fine experiences with blackstar.co.uk and amazon.co.uk.

Blackstar has awesome customer service with higher prices.

Amazon.co.uk may appear to have high prices on the surface, but they automatically deduct VAT (A British Sales tax approx 17%) from your order during checkout if you don't live in the UK.

Anyone interested in Hong Kong cinema should invest in a multi-region player. The HKL series is awesome!
Old 10-05-01, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just wanted to make sure this is the correct version before I purchase it (I can't find a HKL logo or anything):

Police Story

Also, where would one pick up the DTS version of "Who Am I?"? bensons world did not have it.
Old 10-05-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cartman
I just wanted to make sure this is the correct version before I purchase it (I can't find a HKL logo or anything):
Yep, that's it. The HKL logo is on the lower left.
Old 10-05-01, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cartman
Also, where would one pick up the DTS version of "Who Am I?"? bensons world did not have it.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PIBF-1221
Old 08-03-02, 04:22 PM
Cool New Member

Police Story and Five Star Laser question

Hello,

I've been lurking here for ages and have learned a lot.
I finally have a reason to post...

I would like to get a copy of Jackie Chan's Police Story. I can't seem to find it in stock anywhere in all the Hk and US sites listed in the HK movie help thread with the exception of Five Star Laser, who has it for $18.95 plus $5 shipping. Is this a good place to buy this DVD? Also, because it is nowhere else to be found, is a new version forthcoming? (I know the HKL disc is better, but I don't have the money for a new DVD player - wish I did).
Many Thanks!!
Old 08-04-02, 12:02 AM

comments

I have ordered a couple of times from Five Star Laser in the past. For those orders, I didn't have any problems.

I started ordering from elsehwere mainly due to pricing.

I can't comment on availability of Police Story or new version 'cause I don't know anything.

I do know that a while ago Disney, et al..were being jerks about trying to deny people the ability to get import (i.e. non hacked-n-slashed movies) titles.
Old 08-05-02, 05:08 AM

Police Story

Police Story is OOP in HK. Also, Disney only made a big stink about Police Story 3, not the other films in the series. You might try eBay. Just be careful.

Jeff ([email protected])
HKFLIX.com
Old 08-05-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and still we have no decent version of PS3
Old 08-06-02, 06:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DO NOT buy the Asian versions of POLIE STORY 1-3. They are complete crap. The only good version of POLICE STORY is from Great Britain. R2 PAL from Hong Kong Legends. See my review at http://www.loveandbullets.com/policestory.htm
Old 10-04-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 913 Likes on 645 Posts
Police Story question

I got the HKL Police Story DVD today in the mail. It's my first region 2 DVD. I started watching it on my PC and noticed the speed of the film seemed a little fast (action seemed artificially sped up). I've never seen Police Story before and I was just wondering if this is how the film was made or am I experiencing playback issues with my PC? I didn't think PAL/NTSC was an issue with playback on a PC monitor and I haven't noticed any similar problems with my r1 discs. That's why I thought it might just be the movie. Like I said this is my first r2 disc and I wasn't sure if there were just some hardware/software issues I hadn't properly dealt with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-05-02, 03:09 AM

I haven't seen the HKL version of Police Story but I believe some of the fight scenes were undercranked (sped up) a little bit, and the PAL/NTSC issue may still be present on your monitor...I'm not really the one to ask. More importantly, though, it was made back when Jackie Chan made GOOD action movies instead of playing second fiddle to no-talent flavors of the month like Chris Fu...oops, I mean Tucker.
Old 10-08-02, 02:26 AM
Cool New Member

i don't remember the movie itself being sped up, but it could've been. Movies in PAL format are also sped up slightly due to the nature of the format... so combining the 2 will probably make it seem even more sped up.
Old 10-08-02, 07:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The PAL speedup is an issue on any monitor, be it NTSC, PAL or a PC screen. It's transferred at 25 fps. Period.

The undercranking used by Chan to create the appearence of greater speed to the action doesn't help matters.
Old 10-09-02, 04:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
The only good version of POLICE STORY is from Great Britain. R2 PAL from Hong Kong Legends. See my review at http://www.loveandbullets.com/policestory.htm
And: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=146896

An interesting discussion - that wouldn't be helped by merging into this thread - developed here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=129587