DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Tom Tykwer's Heaven (help) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/226352-tom-tykwers-heaven-help.html)

Moon33 07-31-02 08:45 AM

Tom Tykwer's Heaven (help)

Tom Tykwer's Heaven will be available in Germany at the end of Aug.
Different dvd websites in germany seems provide different details of this dvd. Since part of the movie is in Italian, It is important that this dvd comes with eng subs.
Please provide more info on this dvd.

Hendrik 07-31-02 10:03 AM

...since this movie is a German/UK co-production, and since the disc you are talking about is a German DVD release, it seems entirely reasonable that the film will have a dubbed-into-German soundtrack only ... witness this <a href="http://dvd-station.de/product_body.asp/SKU=4524">site</a>...

...as I explained on this very Forum some time ago, unlike many French film fans, the average German (including German film fans!) will watch a German-subtitled release of a non-German-language movie only if forced at gunpoint... sad, but true!...

...my suggestion: curb your impatience to be the first on the block to own this <a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2002/07/24/heaven_2002_review.shtml">movie</a>... wait for a R2/UK release, or an eventual R1 release... or, at the very least, wait until someone else has bought the German disc and reported on it...

. . . :o . . .

Moon33 07-31-02 11:37 AM

Yes Hendrik, I see your point. However I found most of the new eng lang German releases now have eng track, sometimes also have eng subs. Of course we shoud wait for another two weeks to see the advance copy review. Let see what will happen.
I believe many Kieslowski fans down here are waiting for the good news.

JonTurner 08-25-02 05:43 PM

Any updates on this? I'm very, very much looking forward to it!

Lothem 08-25-02 11:09 PM

Amazon.de says it has:
• Sprachen: Deutsch (Dolby Digital 5.1) Englisch (Dolby Digital 5.1)
If you can't speak German, Englisch means English.

Brett

JonTurner 08-25-02 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Lothem
Amazon.de says it has:
• Sprachen: Deutsch (Dolby Digital 5.1) Englisch (Dolby Digital 5.1)
If you can't speak German, Englisch means English.

Brett

I can't speak German, but even I could figure that out ;)

I guess here's where I'm confused though... Twyker's other films are in German, but here we've got Ribisi and Blanchet as the stars. Am I to assume that the film is in English? Based on the imdb, it looks like it's in Italian and English. My guess is that this means the Italian parts would be naturally subtitled in German. Do we know whether or not when watching the original language track (assuming it's the English one on the DVD), that you can also get English subs for the rest of it? I guess this is just a confusing situation.

Basically, I want:

1) OAR (which amazon.de indicates that it is)
2) Original language (my guess is English / Italian)
3) The Italian parts to be subbed in English (or at least some option to do this on the DVD... presumably just like it will eventually be in theaters here in the US)

If it's all these things, then I can't wait to get my hot little hands on it... and I'm sure others will be too :)

Hendrik 08-26-02 12:17 AM

...ahh... afaik the movie is entirely in English (afaik story takes place in Milan, Italy / afaik Ribisi & Paltrow both play Italians)...

...anyway... the German Fröschl site has this to say about the DVD:

° Technik-Infos
. . .Ausgabeformat 16:9
. . .Aufnahmeformat 1,85:1
. . .Ländercode 2
. . .Sprachformat Deutsch Dolby Digital 5.1 (= LANGUAGE: GERMAN)
. . .Untertitel Keine (= SUBTITLES: NONE)
Unquote

alsoknownasx 08-26-02 12:22 AM

http://www.abc-dvd.de/
lists HEAVEN as having German AND English subtitles, but
http://www.dvd-station.de/product_body.asp/SKU=4524
lists only German subtitles.....

I remember almost buying THE PRINCESS AND THE WARRIOR from Amazon.de back when it came out, but held off knowing that the Region 1 release had almost all of the same special features....anyone know if we can expect the same (from Miramax) this time?

However, the U.S. THEATRICAL release date is listed on IMDB as October 4th of this year, so I guess the Region 1 DVD won't be out for quite awile???

Hendrik 08-26-02 12:34 AM

...so... we're back to square one: WAIT UNTIL THE GERMAN DVD HAS BEEN RELEASED AND SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE WRITES A REVIEW...

ola_t 08-26-02 03:48 AM

Just wanted to say that I can confirm -- having seen the film theatrically a couple of weeks ago -- that the original language is indeed a mixture of English and Italian. Those of us who don't understand Italian will need subtitles for large portions of the film.

Ola

fortinbras 08-28-02 09:40 AM

THe DVD will be released by Warner Bros. and X-Films. Like all DVDs before 'Heaven' will also Feature 'English' Subtitles and an English language Track.

abandoned 08-29-02 03:42 AM

Okay, just checked it.
There is an English DD 5.1 Track with non- removable German subs, BUT the parts spoken in Italian got only the German subs. No English subs.
Not to mention that the commentary track is also in German
@Fortinbras Where did you find English Subs ??

Summerwine 08-29-02 04:06 AM

I will receive my copy next week - but I guess "abandoned" already took care of everything.

To HENDRIK:

1) You may have an aversion against German filmfans, but please don't generalize like this! I probably know some more German filmfans than you do, and we all enjoy the original audio tracks - with subtitles, if necessary.

2) Things are not much different over in France, for example - films are dubbed, that's what happens everywhere - even in the US.

3) I admit the majority, or "the masses" have problems watching films in their original language, but just because Switzerland doesn't really produce a whole lot of DVDs, this doesn't mean they would do it differently... .

4) Apparently, you were wrong with your assumptions, so please a little more careful there in the future - thank you!

Seb

Hendrik 08-29-02 07:05 AM

"1) You may have an aversion against German filmfans, but please don't generalize like this! I probably know some more German filmfans than you do, and we all enjoy the original audio tracks - with subtitles, if necessary."

Summerwine: ...undoubtedly you do know more German filmfans than I do (I don't know ANY - BUT I've visited Cologne, Frankfurt a.M., Hamburg, Dresden, Munich and Berlin, many times)... I challenge you to go to ANY big city in Germany (and, for all I know, Austria, too) and find even ONE American blockbuster movie (or the two French "Astérix" movies) playing in a local movie THEATER with the ORIGINAL sound and German subtitles...

...whereas in FRANCE, or at least in PARIS (where I lived for several years), one can ALWAYS see American blockbusters in a movie THEATER with ORIGINAL sound and French subtitles... simultaneously, that same movie will ALSO be playing in at least one other THEATER in a FRENCH-DUBBED version, for the French J6Ps...

...incidentally, I lived in the USA, too, although that was a looong time ago ... and I saw many 'foreign' movies there ('discovered' then-contemporary Bergman, Ray, Antonioni in Los Angeles, respectively San Francisco) and, offhand, can recall only TWO imported movies that were ever shown in dubbed-into-English versions: "Ballad Of a Soldier" and Malle's "A Very Private Affair/Vie privée"... all the others (the Bergmans, the "Apu" trilogy, "L'Avventura", "La dolce vita", Kinugasa's "Gate Of Hell", "Last Year at Marienbad", "Ivan The Terrible" - Parts I & II in one -seemingly lasting-for-days- session, even the 1930s Marcel Pagnol trilogy "Fanny"/"Marius"/"César") were always shown with more-or-less literate English subtitles...

...in the bigger cities in the Swiss-German-speaking part of Switzerland - fortunately - foreign movies are ALWAYS shown in the original language, with German and French subtitles... sometimes an American blockbuster (or the French "Astérix") will ALSO play in a dubbed-into-German version - but that is NEVER the ONLY way that movie can be seen - the OV is ALWAYS shown...

...of course, my strong and abiding aversion to 'dubbed' versions of ANY movies comes from having grown up a movie fan in a country - the Netherlands - where, with the exception of Disney feature-length cartoons - movies were NEVER[§] 'dubbed' (too expensive a process for such a small market) but were always shown subtitled...
([§]...one other exception comes to mind: George Steven's plodding - and, oddly enough, filmed-in-CinemaScope - "The Diary Of Anne Frank" was dubbed into Dutch... but, hey! this is a story that takes place in Amsterdam, the characters (some played by Dutch actors) are Dutch...)

"Apparently, you were wrong with your assumptions, so please a little more careful there in the future - thank you!"

...mea culpa!... I did - erroneously - assume that all the characters in "Heaven" were Italians... it turns out the heroine is an English teacher (I assume she's British, the review didn't say)... which, entirely without wishing to cast aspersions on <a href="http://us.imdb.com/Name?Ribisi,+Giovanni">Giovanni Ribisi</a>'s acting chops, does make me wonder: why not have an (English-speaking) Italian actor play the part of the hero, instead of using an actor whose name, admittedly, looks and sounds genuinely Italian, but who I assume (there you go again Hendrik!) is as genuinely American as apple-pie-à-la-mode, and who therefore has to 'learn', i.e. be coached(!) to speak English with an Italian accent - something he did none too convincingly, as at least one reviewer of the movie noted ...?...

...Peace!...

JonTurner 08-30-02 12:59 AM

Well damn... all petty arguing aside ;) - it looks like this DVD version won't do (unless you speak Italian or German that is). So does anyone know when the next R2 version comes out (or any region)... I'd assume perhaps a French or British version not far down the road - a British would would bound to be right for us dumb Americans.

abandoned 08-30-02 03:01 AM

Originally posted by JonTurner
I'd assume perhaps a French or British version not far down the road - a British would would bound to be right for us dumb Americans.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I guess you'll have to wait a few month. In GB the movie just started in the cinemas ( 8/9 ), and the French people will even have to wait till Nov. ( 11/20 ) for the Cinema release. For the DVD...well add five to six months :(