DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Are these region free DVDs official? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/224460-these-region-free-dvds-official.html)

bigdaddy1980 07-23-02 11:32 AM

Are these region free DVDs official?

I wanted to get Ichi the Killer and Drunken Master 2 but DDDHouse only has region 3 versions.

I have seen region free versions on Ebay, I wanted to know if these are official or most likely bootlegs. I only ask because DDDHouse usually has a region free version if there is one.

thanks

Yellow Hammer 07-23-02 11:42 AM

For DM 2, there is a Thakral region-free version, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is not a bootleg. Hard to tell sometimes unless you have it in your hand and even then it may be difficult. First thing you'll want to do is to compare the cover with the cover as supplied in the AsianDVDGuide.

axolotls return 07-23-02 12:10 PM

I know for a fact there are more boots of DM2 and FOL out now. In fact, you'd be hard pressed (pun intended) to find a legitimate one. Caveat Emptor

Trigger 07-23-02 03:06 PM

Never ever buy anything off ebay - nobody is honest or legit there anymore.

codefree 07-23-02 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Never ever buy anything off ebay - nobody is honest or legit there anymore.
It's not quite that bad... maybe 1 in 10 is honest. :p

axolotls return 07-23-02 04:05 PM

Originally posted by codefree

It's not quite that bad... maybe 1 in 10 is honest. :p

Nah. Maybe in the Asian DVD area. Overall, I think it really is over 90% honest sellers and bidders.

You get into niche / hobbyists / collector's items / sports.... where there is $$$$ to be made off bootleg crap then that's where I'd be careful.

bigdaddy1980 07-23-02 04:16 PM

where would I be able to find region free versions of these dvds that are legit other than Ebay, are there legit region free versions even available ( for Ichi)?

axolotls return 07-23-02 04:38 PM

hkflix.com (dvdtalk sponsor)
pokerindustries.com

bigdaddy1980 07-23-02 05:31 PM

Originally posted by axolotls return
hkflix.com (dvdtalk sponsor)
pokerindustries.com

Neither has a region free Ichi, so I'm assuming an official one doesn't exist

sexygal910 07-23-02 08:34 PM

Region Free

Nope. There are no "legit" copies of Ichi the Killer that is Region free. The Region 0 Thakral release of DM2 is uncut, but the picture looks pretty terrible. Aznfilms.com has a Region 3 animorphic version, but I don't know if it's cut or not. I didn't check, but Ichi the Killer they sell is the same as HKFlix or Poker.

1ArmedSwordsMan 07-26-02 07:19 AM

Re: Region Free

Originally posted by sexygal910
Nope. There are no "legit" copies of Ichi the Killer that is Region free. The Region 0 Thakral release of DM2 is uncut, but the picture looks pretty terrible. Aznfilms.com has a Region 3 animorphic version, but I don't know if it's cut or not. I didn't check, but Ichi the Killer they sell is the same as HKFlix or Poker.
Actually the Thakral picture isn't too bad though it's in the wrong aspect ratio - cropped to 1:85:1.