International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Some thoughts on the Amélie:SE R2 release (Momentum)

Old 07-18-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some thoughts on the Amélie:SE R2 release (Momentum)

I got this from bensonsworld for about $31US shipped, and got it on the R2 release date (7/15). Packaging is nice and colorful, with a 2 disc digipak (that folds out into 3 panels in a case (and no "awards" or "quotes" on the cover - something I appreciated). I briefly looked over the included booklet which listed the characters and cast.

Next, to the heart of the matter - Disc 1 - the film... The reputation/hype that preceded this film was/is unusual for an international film. Some say it is a great work of art, and others that it's a contrived film with enough saccharine for all the sweet tooths in the world. I think I fall somewhere in the middle, but leaning toward the art side.

Jeunet sets the mood with the opening narration/sequence. Flippant, and full of joie de vivre the characters are introduced in a voiced over narration, listing their likes and dislikes. As they come up in the film, interestingly, I remembered their likes/dislikes more than their names. But I found them to be likeable characters (with one or two exceptions) so that I wanted to see how their lives played out.

One question though for those who have seen the film:
Spoiler:
While most stories have their loose ends tied up, I feel that the relationship between the tape recorder guy and the hypochondriac was, unlike the other characters' quests, heading toward dissolution and such runs contrary to the general flow of the film. Did anyone else feel this way?

The Parisian fairy tale is helped along by Jeunet's use of color - concentrating on yellows, reds and greens to make a unique palette that makes it clear while the story takes place in our world/our time - the color scheme lends an unreality or fantastic element to the mix. The musical score follows suit - lending surrealistic quality to the proceedings and placing it further into the realm of fantasy.

I very much enjoyed the film - the acting was great, the script and setting, with some unusual happenings (e.g. the gnome) that place it in the above average range of films. Is it a masterpiece? It didn't feel like it to me, though perhaps with repeated viewings my opinion may change. Right now though I think it's quite a stylish, well-done film that made me think of the interconnectedness of things, and the value of doing something good for someone else.

The video and audio on the disc were great - very clean, crisp and deep colors(soundstage). I used the dts soundtrack for this viewing, and I felt it was very good.

Subtitling was legible, and I did not notice any major errors. There were one or two very small parts where the subtitles flashed quickly and then were gone, but they were few and far between.

The menuing follows the same color scheme as the cover, and has some dynamic content as well as some neat indicators for the different selections. Control for the 4 selections (Play Movie, Scene Selections, Audio Setup and Subtitles) was slightly counter-intuitive, but certainly manageable.

While I have not gotten to Disc 2, I can say right now that I think my purchase was worth it. Amélie would be a great addition to all but the most curmudgeonly collections.

Last edited by stingo; 07-18-02 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-21-02, 01:42 AM
Banned by request

Here's a question moved over from the main DVDTalk section for you. In the R1 release, chapter 7 (I don't know if the chapter stops are the same for R2) ends at 57:15 with Rufus (the dad) saying "Je ne comprends pas" ("I don't understand it") and the next chapter, chapter 8, starts at 01:05:00, with Amelie running to the train station as it is closing. We think this is just a glitch in the timer, and no footage is missing, but can you tell us if A) there is that glitch in the R2 disc, and B) is there any footage in between the two parts I described?
Old 07-21-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll have a look and post what I find, which is the following:

There is no jump in the timer on the R2 version - the scene ends as you described ("Je ne comprends pas"), and cuts to a far overhead shot inside the train station. Does this help?

Last edited by stingo; 07-21-02 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-22-02, 03:37 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by stingo
I'll have a look and post what I find, which is the following:

There is no jump in the timer on the R2 version - the scene ends as you described ("Je ne comprends pas"), and cuts to a far overhead shot inside the train station. Does this help?
Yes, that is helpful, thank you for taking the time to check it.