DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Source for apparently OOP RKO oldies? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/219914-source-apparently-oop-rko-oldies.html)

BRIAN12345 07-03-02 07:09 PM

Portable zone free players & RKO oldies

Are there are PORTABLE zone free players available. Thank you. Also, does anyone know if the 1968 RUSSIAN film WAR AND PEACE is available. I know of a Japanese version on SAZUMA website. I am new to this excellent website. I did order some RKO oldies from AMAZON.FR but note that ANGEL FACE, I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE and OUT OF THE PAST are no longer listed as available. Are there other sources?
Thank you.

gabegarwick 07-03-02 11:36 PM

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum! :)
Check out this previous thread & explore the links in it for additional info.

"Thread: Best portable DVD player for imported discs?"

Cheers,
Gabe

shill66 07-04-02 01:27 AM

I scoured all the French retailers last week for those titles. It seems they are all out of print and unavailable. Dang!

BRIAN12345 07-04-02 06:17 PM

If you are referring to the old RKO titles. One source told me they are available but only to a French address!!!!!

adam barker 07-05-02 07:46 PM

The russian War and Peace will be coming eventually from ruscico

If those RKO pictures have gone OOP in france, that's a shame . as i've got some of them , but was intending to get more.

adam barker 07-05-02 08:06 PM

well, i just ordered three RKO titles from cinestore in france, and the ones mentioned above were all in stock - or they were before i ordered ;-)
i don't know if they deliver to where you are, but they do to the UK, though its expensive shipping.

BRIAN12345 07-05-02 08:33 PM

Yes. I also ordered, or attempted to do so, from Cinestore. I think it was the distributor who said they could not ship to U.S.thanks!

samuelowens 07-06-02 01:21 AM

I got mine from www.amazon.fr

Gypo66 07-06-02 05:44 AM

Are the French subtitles removeable on these?
(btw, Cinestore does claim they have these titles in stock, but I've ordered "in stock" items from them before only to discover they really weren't)

adam barker 07-06-02 08:04 AM

Subtitles are removable on the ones i have already (Cat People, Bodysnatcher, Angel Face) so there's no reason to think the others would be different.
Cinestore said one of them had non-removable subs, but they are often wrong about subtitles - though not as bad as Amazon.fr.
I've not had problems with Cinestore not having stuff in stock that they claimed they did, and their delivery to the uk is pretty quick and reliable.

BRIAN12345 07-06-02 08:59 AM

I note the following on the description of features for a DVD at cinestore. I believe it is I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (VAUDOU):
FRANCAIS, OBLIGATORIES AVEC LA VO.

My disappointment is the Gabin MAIGRET films state no subtitles. Ditto Bardot's UNE PARISIENNE.

adam barker 07-06-02 01:35 PM

I saw that on cinestore's description of Vaudou but i ordered it anyway, since i can't believe it's true. All the other's that i own of similar films, from the same company, in the same series (the menus and covers are in the same style) have removable subtitles - so i'm willing to bet this is just one of cinestore's mistakes.

La Parisienne has french subtitles for the hard of hearing, which is enough for me to get by on, but far to many french films have no subs at all, which is unfortunate because they produce some very nice disks.

samuelowens 07-06-02 08:16 PM

My copy of Suspicion definitely has removable subs, despite Cinestore's description to the contrary. www.dvdfr.com has reviews that indicate if the subs are forced.

BRIAN12345 07-06-02 08:22 PM

EN CAS DE MALHEUR, one of the best looking black and white DVDs I have seen, has English subtitles. But, yes, sadly many of the French films in the RENE CHATEAU do not have any according to the descriptions. STUDIO CANALs vary, also.

adam barker 07-07-02 04:57 AM

I hadn't spotted EN CAS DE MALHEUR , i might have to get that. Another Rene Chateau disk with english subtitles is Le Samouraļ .
The Studio Canal Classique series is really frustrating - excellent disks of very good films, but subtitling seems pretty random; sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not.

BRIAN12345 07-07-02 01:24 PM

Adam: I note on your impressive list of DVDs: ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM. I wonder what company put that disc together as the rights are split here in the states between ISLAND being MCA and MYSTERY being MGM/UA or TURNER. CONSIDER IT VERY RARE unless a bootleg.

Is ALL THAT JAZZ cut??? Ditto HELLO DOLLY and THE ROSE? I cannot AMAZON.UK to respond to my question. thank you very much.

adam barker 07-07-02 05:57 PM

Having watched it a couple of days ago, there's no reason to believe that All that Jazz is cut. If Amazon.co.uk list a slightly shorter running time than you expected it may be to do with PAL speed-up.

My Island / Mystery disk was made by "Visionary" in the UK (no, i've never heard of them either) and i believe it is now OOP.
The picture quality is pretty bad on both films and if better versions ever appear i'll probably get them - especially ISLAND OF LOST SOULS which is amazing.

BRIAN12345 07-07-02 08:03 PM

does anyone know if the subtitles for FAHRENHEIT 451, newly released in France are removable.
The description says
SOUS TITRES IMPOSES SURE LA VO...
IMPOSSIBLE DE CHANGER DE LANGUE/SOUS-TITRE A LA VOLEE.

I assume it is "impossible" to change the titles???

If anything else, this entire DVD thing might send me back to school to finish French lessons.

Does anyone with an industry insight have any idea, though, why FOX releases HELLO DOLLY, ALL THAT JAZZ, THE ROSE on DVD in the United Kingdom and not the States where they are also popular. I assume THE AFRICAN QUEEN is a copyright issue. Just curious. Thanks for all the work applied to this website.

P.S. thank you for the recommendation of DVD.FR But what is the "time bomb" looking symbol for next to some titles.

ivantod 07-08-02 02:38 PM

does anyone know if the subtitles for FAHRENHEIT 451, newly released in France are removable.
The description says
SOUS TITRES IMPOSES SURE LA VO...
IMPOSSIBLE DE CHANGER DE LANGUE/SOUS-TITRE A LA VOLEE.

I assume it is "impossible" to change the titles???
Ok... I have the new Fahrenheit 451 SE, and here's the deal. The only choices are:<ul><li>French language or<li>English language with French subtitles.</ul>It is not possible to change the audio track or subtitles during the movie. So the subtitles are non-removable.

I

late_but_earnest 07-08-02 07:26 PM

My copy of OUT OF THE PAST arrived from Cinestore today. It took about a month to get here but it did get here.

ScreachingWeasel 07-08-02 08:16 PM

Originally posted by ivantod

Ok... I have the new Fahrenheit 451 SE, and here's the deal. The only choices are:<ul><li>French language or<li>English language with French subtitles.</ul>It is not possible to change the audio track or subtitles during the movie. So the subtitles are non-removable.

I

How are the extras on the dvd and are they in English or French with subs? Also how is the picture quality and are the French subs below the picture or on it?

Thank's for any answers.

ivantod 07-10-02 03:55 PM

How are the extras on the dvd and are they in English or French with subs? Also how is the picture quality and are the French subs below the picture or on it?
The extras include a 75 min documentary and a couple of short interviews plus the usual trailers. Everything is in French only except for the Ray Bradbury interview which is in English wih French subtitles. In her interview, Julie Christie actually speaks French and not English...

Since the dvd is anamorphic and the aspect ratio is 1.85:1 I'm afraid that subtitles are on the picture.

As far as picture quality goes, I would say it's pretty good for a 35 year old movie--most of the movie has a slightly faded look, but it may be intentional since colors do become more vivid on certain ocassions.

Hope this helps.

I