DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Ichi the Killer-DVD cut? How about the VCD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/219753-ichi-killer-dvd-cut-how-about-vcd.html)

smokedragon 07-03-02 01:59 AM

Ichi the Killer-DVD cut? How about the VCD?

I read that Ichi the Killer Reg3 DVD has been cut.

First, is this true?

Second, is the VCD also cut? Anyone seen the full uncut version?

I mean I heard that almost 18 minutes have been cut out of the movie. If so, I definitely do not want to order it.

Someone else stated that Hong Kong DVD's always cut out extremely graphic scenes of violence and sex from Cat 3 movies.

Is this true? Is Red To Kill more graphic than it is?

If anyone has answers to any of the questions, I would love to hear your response.

Slumbering Fist 07-03-02 01:41 PM

Media Blasters version should be uncut. They usually dont handle/release anything but uncut versions. I think I can wait 6+ months for it uncut, rather than buy a hack job I'm just going to dump or use as a coaster once an uncut version is released.

roseart 07-03-02 01:57 PM

If your interested, here is a vague list of cuts from Chemical Lemon over at The Asian DVD Guide Forum:

****SPOILERS****
Spoiler:
My dvd arrived yesterday afternoon, and I checked it out last night (in the god aweful heat). I was pleasantly surprised, the cuts may hurt Ichi as a piece of "art", but they actually helped it's entertainment value, I found the cut version alot more enjoyable to watch. The over the top scenes are important but really make the movie difficult to enjoy, they also tended to distract you from the plot and characters. I'm not saying this version is a better movie, it's just better entertainment. It's still way too violent and disgusting for the average person.

Here's a really poor list of cuts, it's been about 5 months since I saw the uncut, and I was eating dinner during the dvd, and I have an all around bad memory. I also don't remember most of the characters names, so bear with me.

********Spoilers***********

CUTS (these are mostly "no duh"s)

hot oil torture scene - There are definitely some cuts here, they hardly show the oil part at all, I think there was some face poking they cut too.

sadist boss beats hooker - I think both of these scenes are cut, the second is definitely cut (when Ichi kills the hooker), the first seemed shorter and more tolerable than I remember, but maybe I've just become desensitized to watching women get beat up (yeeesh), the semen scene (or most of it) is still intact.

Ichi cuts off tongue - Almost all this scene is here, but there is definitely something missing.

Ichi tortures guy in tv - I actually can't remember what happened on the dvd (or really in the movie), but I think this was cut.

Interrogating/killing Long's hooker - I think this is where the longest (of the violent) cuts are, maybe even a couple minutes worth. I remember these parts going on way too long. The nipple scene is cut. Lots of just plain beating is gone. The scene where the ex-cop gangster beats her to death is cut.

Torturing Long - The scene where the interogator tries to break and bend Long into pieces is cut. I think there may be cuts when Ichi is torturing him also.

Karen dies - I think just the neck slash is missing from this.

Plot/Character Development cuts - I was surprised there were alot of these, they are blurred together in my memory so they are tough to pinpoint. There is alot of character development between Ichi, the ex-cop gangster, his son, and maybe Jijii. Most of that is missing, none of it had anything vile in it, I think it was just cut to help the pacing (and it did, with the only loss of character dev to the ex-cop). In particular there is a scene where the ex-cop relates information about how a gangster (the one who gets manhandled by Jijii) helped him when he was getting bullied (he may have been telling this story to Ichi, I think I remember him protecting Ichi at one point, maybe a restaurant, but this has mostly faded from memory). I think the majority of the cuts are from this section.

Ichi cuts? - I also thought I remembered there being scene after unbearable scene of Ichi remembering fake memories and being all around annoying. These scenes are mostly the same, so I can't pinpoint if any of them are missing. It's possible I was just prepared for it this time, so it was as annoying. I thought there was alot more interaction between Ichi and Jijii.

I think those were the only things I noticed, but there are probably more.

I think the scene with the naked gangster running down the street was just that way in the movie, supposed to be cute, not really important to the plot.

I ordered mine, and should get it next week. I think it will be good to see this version, to see if I even want to see the uncut one. Sounds like a pretty messed up flick.

Should be getting Dead or Alive anyday now too. :D

eXcentris 07-03-02 06:35 PM

roseart, is this the Dead or Alive version (R2 PAL) that I should get?

http://www.pokerindustries.com/acata...aliveUKdvd.htm

Dazza 07-04-02 08:56 AM

In case it helps anyone, the DoA that eXcentris has linked to is actually a R0 disc. This is the Metro Tartan release that came out in the UK last week, and is uncut. Just thought I'd mention it's R0 as some places have listed it as R2 and I know this can put people without multi-region players off buying it.

d2cheer 07-04-02 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Dazza
In case it helps anyone, the DoA that eXcentris has linked to is actually a R0 disc. This is the Metro Tartan release that came out in the UK last week, and is uncut. Just thought I'd mention it's R0 as some places have listed it as R2 and I know this can put people without multi-region players off buying it.
But... it is still PAL though so that could be misleading to them also. They will have to be able to conver the signal or have a player like the Malata that will.

ScreachingWeasel 07-04-02 10:57 AM

Originally posted by d2cheer

But... it is still PAL though so that could be misleading to them also. They will have to be able to conver the signal or have a player like the Malata that will.

Some people with X-Box's and and PC players are PAL capable, but not all region.

Trigger 07-04-02 06:45 PM

yup - Xbox does a perfect PAL conversion.

roseart 07-05-02 09:55 AM

Originally posted by eXcentris
roseart, is this the Dead or Alive version (R2 PAL) that I should get?

http://www.pokerindustries.com/acata...aliveUKdvd.htm

Yeah, that is the same one that I got at Amazon.uk here. It must be marked R2, but is actually R0? The Tartan release is the only one I know of.

I watched the begining of it yeasterday, and the interview with Miike. This movie looks awesome, can't wait to get through it all...

roseart 07-12-02 04:04 PM

I have to say, I really enjoyed this movie. I'm not really sure why, but it had something to it. I really liked the Kakihara character, he had something to him. I'm not into sadomasochism or S&M, not much into pain at all really, but it was a interesting movie to watch. There were actually allot of funny moments in the film. I can't even begin to imagine some of the cuts; cause what was left was still pretty brutal.

The cuts were very obvious, like watching Scarface on Fox, but it didn't really hurt the flow of the movie.

Did anyone else notice the runtime was actually 111 minutes to the end of the credits???

I was a little ticked to read this over at HKFlix:

Five stars for shock/gore/gross-out/offensiveness. Zero stars because it's so infuriatingly retarded. Highly recommended if you're just looking for something offensive, not recommended if you have a brain.
Thanks HKFlix, guess I don't have a brain...

Did anyone else like this movie, or am I an odd one out???

Furious 07-14-02 01:03 AM

Brains?

I enjoyed it, and yes thank you I do have a brain, more so than some people I guess. The entire point is the comic excessiveness, much like early 80's splatter movies. The excess is the essence. Does it push the envelope? Not really, it's hard to take serious as Miike muscles in so much comic relief. Shame it really flies over everyone's heads and we get everyone looking for some divine substance other than the obvious goal of the film. I'm not calling it art, but it's certainly not infuriatingly retarded. Calling potential customers braindead on the otherhand, is infuriatingly retarded.

HKFlix 07-15-02 02:54 PM

Why does everyone here take everything so seriously?

funkydjmcescher 07-15-02 03:22 PM

Originally posted by HKFlix
Why does everyone here take everything so seriously?
HKF-
Ya know I ask myself the same question from time to time.
The best analogy that I can come up with is that DVDTALK
has morphed into some sort of HS environment & the Habitues (if you will) of the international NG are like the D&D guys taking over the esperanto club.
Better yet, people who are on the fringe tend to be more
(um) passsionate & lacking in a few people skills- like having someone take the piss outta them or having a go @ some little fetish that they have cultured.
I'll have a better opinion when I meet some in Vegas next month.

sexygal910 07-17-02 12:32 AM

Ichi is good

Okay, my husband and I just finished watching the film and boy is it great. This is my first Miike Takashi film and I am not disappointed. After reading tons of reviews from other sites about the movie, we finally got a Miike title (and Dead or Alive is on the way!). Ichi is pretty violent despite the cuts. I didn't see the uncut version, but this version (the Hong Kong Universe one) is still pretty gruesome. Or maybe it's because I'm a woman? Anyways, the characters are very well written and the film as a whole reminds me of an anime.

About HKFlix comments on films, I never really read them so it does not bother me. They are often wrong on their reviews, but we must understand that they are just a retailer who is selling movies for profits. If you wanted to read a review, go to the KFC Cinema site or to the Asian DVD Guide and post a review request or something. HKFlix is often wrong with their reviews of films and I only use them to purchase products and nothing else (but not anymore lately).

Giles 07-17-02 08:50 AM

So anyone have any idea when the Reg. 1 Media Blaster edition might come out?

Furious 07-17-02 08:11 PM

Cuts

Having just finished subtitling the uncut version, I can say there are a number of cuts to the film. There is still a fair bit of gore, but alot of the most intense scenes and prolonged violence has been cut to pieces. More disturbingly, quite a number of dialouge scenes have been cut wholesale...if for no other reason than to allow a few HK theaters to get in more showings in a day. It's a shame as some of these scenes do flesh out the characters a bit, such as the cop who loses his gun and becomes a Yakuza. His character is basically written out of the film in the cut version. All together EMG did an incredibly piss poor job of editing the film. If its going to be edited for violence, thats one thing, but alot of the cuts are not to violent scenes. Stranger still some of the violence they left in is equally as bad as what was taken out. A very curious job and totally unprofessional job. As for comparisons to anime, well it is based on a manga after all. As for seriousness? Well when comments are made like that in a business to customer environment what do you expect? If a clerk told me I was braindead for purchasing a movie I'd be on their managers case.