International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Miyazaki's Spirited Away coming to R3 DVD

Old 06-25-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Miyazaki's Spirited Away coming to R3 DVD

I just was checking out DDDhouse and on their front page they are listing Spirited Away coming to Region 3 DVD on 7/19. Strangely this is the same day as the R2 release, but it is going to cost a LOT less than the R2 DVD.
Looks like I will be buying the R3.
Old 06-26-02, 09:02 AM

That's right. And I'm buying it.

I live in Taiwan and I'm buying it. Buenva Vista of Taiwan has done a lot towards Miyazaki releases in Taiwan; including same day releases whenever possible. The region 3 edition will be exactly the same as the JPN edition: authored in Japan, etc, but at a much lower price point!
Old 06-26-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sounds like a winner to me. i was interested in getting this from amazon.jp but couldn't afford the $38 or so. are the R3 miyazaki releases good quality? i saw that dddhouse had some others as well and if they were reccommended i might pick up a couple of them as well.
Old 06-26-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kevin75
are the R3 miyazaki releases good quality?
When Kiki and Totoro first came out there were some video issues, but IVL has fixed it and their current pressings are fine. Totoro might have a better subtitle script than the R2 - the R2 has dubtitles, so it doesn't exactly follow the Japanese track.
Old 06-29-02, 09:01 AM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

except R2 and R3 has different extras. But maybe u should wait for R1 or R4. they are coming out soon later part of the year.
Old 06-29-02, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ntuc
except R2 and R3 has different extras. But maybe u should wait for R1 or R4. they are coming out soon later part of the year.
do you have any specific details on this (ie, titles, dates, specs)?
Old 06-29-02, 12:11 PM

R2 Japan has 22 trailers, storyboard, introducing Studio Ghibli film "Neko no Ongaeshi".

R3 has Comic Version Feature of Spirited Away, Making of Spirited Away.

R2 UK and R1 has no news yet except has rumours saying they will be out later this year.

R4 released date is tentatively set at Sep.
Old 06-29-02, 01:36 PM
Cool New Member

i believe spirited away is getting some sort of theatrical release in america, so i'd expect the r1 dvd a little later.
Old 06-29-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Player1327
i believe spirited away is getting some sort of theatrical release in america, so i'd expect the r1 dvd a little later.
you would think so but then again, we are dealing with buena vista here.
Old 07-01-02, 08:25 AM

R3 has Comic Version Feature of Spirited Away, Making of Spirited Away.
This is, if I understand right, Hong Kong version. But what about Taiwanese?
http://bvhe.bvi.com.tw/event/ghibli_spiritedaway.htm

I have Taiwanese versions of
Kiki and
Totoro
and the DVD-s look much nicer than Hong Kong versions.

As John Lasseter is working on English adaption of "Spirited Away", I think I will wait for US DVD. But as there is also "Porco Rosso" out in Taiwan and soon also "Laputa", I don't think I want to wait for them too long...
Old 07-01-02, 10:16 AM
Cool New Member

Unfortunately, it looks like BVHE Taiwan is no longer including English subtitles on Ghibli DVD's. The Taiwanese DVD of Spirited Away is almost an exact port of the R2, except it only has Japanese subtitles, Chinese literal subtitles, and Chinese dubtitles. The same is true for the upcoming Taiwan DVD release of Whisper of the Heart.
Old 07-01-02, 12:02 PM

I'd be very surprised if the Region 1 Disney/Buena Vista release will include the DTS-ES 6.1 soundmix that the R2 and R3 promise to include.
Old 07-02-02, 10:39 AM

where to get the taiwnese version?
Old 07-20-02, 12:22 PM
Cool New Member

Buy now!

get code 3 now, is out.......and this is the best anime dvd i ever get. it only selling at $29.90(sin)....2 disc.
Old 07-20-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Buy now!

Originally posted by Dayneson
get code 3 now, is out.......and this is the best anime dvd i ever get. it only selling at $29.90(sin)....2 disc.
am i correct to assume that he is referring to the region 3 version. as for 29.90, which currancy is that i wonder? dddhouse had a pretty good deal on this along with a couple of other miyazaki titles. has anyone gotten this from them and if so how is the quality?
Old 07-20-02, 10:51 PM

Re: Re: Buy now!

Originally posted by kevin75

am i correct to assume that he is referring to the region 3 version. as for 29.90, which currancy is that i wonder? dddhouse had a pretty good deal on this along with a couple of other miyazaki titles. has anyone gotten this from them and if so how is the quality?
he has stated singapore dollar. As I read from some places, the R3 version is not as good as R2. But with the cheap price, it is hard to complain.

Last edited by ntuc; 07-20-02 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-21-02, 10:37 PM

Here are some pix that I took of my copy

OK.
I just can't get it right. Don't know how to post pictures. Can anyone volunteer to host my pix for me?

I bought mine (region 3, Taiwan) yesterday and it is indeed DTS ES. Loaded with features including an interview with the master himself. JPN 2.0, Chinese 2.0 and JPN DTS 6.1. Paid NT$525 for it, US$16.40, approximately.

Last edited by jeffhhsu; 07-23-02 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-21-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Shutterfly to develop my digital pictures, and as a by-product they store (host) my pictures. I believe that you can open up an account for free. Then you can simply upload pictures there. Probably will be slightly cropped though and the resolution slightly changed.

This is a cheap and fast option.
Old 07-22-02, 01:02 AM

Just picked up the R3 Taiwanese version of the Spirited Away disc for $NT 509, which is roughly $15 and change. A little frustrated that it doesn't have any English subs, but it still seems like a pretty worthwhile bang for the buck. If I'm impressed by this disc, I'm gonna pick up the rest of the Studio Ghibli titles at the same price. I bought the bootleg Ghibli collection off of eBay a while back, but I do feel that these Miyazaki titles are worth repurchasing for presentation alone, with extras thrown in as an added bonus. And at these prices, I'm willing to eat the cost also.
Old 07-22-02, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Taiwanese edition is said to have a very visible red push:

http://home.kimo.com.tw/mycai97/sa/s...d_away/01s.htm
Old 07-22-02, 03:29 AM

any online taiwan store to recommend?