Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Comparing versions/Costing out "Battle Royale" DVD

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Comparing versions/Costing out "Battle Royale" DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Mine was confirmed nine days ago and I still don't have it. I hope it didn't get lost in the mail. I'm in Arizona - maybe tomorrow? Every UK store I have experience with takes forever to arrive here and they package their stuff weird and it all gets squished.
Old 07-13-02, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a good region free edition of Battle Royale?

I don't have a region free player. I went to

Amazon UK

and this says it is region 2 but under edition details it says region 0, which is it???

Last edited by bigdaddy1980; 07-13-02 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-13-02, 11:01 AM

Trigger,
Mine took about a week and a half to arrive after my notice, and I'm in Canada. You'll prabably get it by mid of next week...

bigdaddyt,
The DVD is confirmed to be R0 NTSC.
Just some errors at Amazon.UK's web site...
I guess they are used to R2/PAL DVDs....

J.T.
Old 07-13-02, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by jtkv
Trigger,
Mine took about a week and a half to arrive after my notice, and I'm in Canada. You'll prabably get it by mid of next week...

bigdaddyt,
The DVD is confirmed to be R0 NTSC.
Just some errors at Amazon.UK's web site...
I guess they are used to R2/PAL DVDs....

J.T.
thanks J.T., did you get hit by customs BTW?
Old 07-13-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine arrived today... I popped it in to watch side-by-side with the R3 version. I have to say that I prefer the R3 version to this. I'm a little disappointed.

Cuts - I only watched side-by-side for about 30 or 40 minutes and there didn't seem to be any speed-up or slow-down. The Tartan release is listed as being 109 minutes and the R3 version is listed as being 114 minutes - 5 minutes longer. I can only assume that some footage is cut somewhere. I will have to watch em both side-by-side to see if there are any cuts and I'll report back.

Sound - The R3 version has DTS and sounds fantastic. The Tartan says that it is 5.1, but all I could get was 2.0. Very disappointing.

Video - The Tartan release is a little sharper and darker, but even though it's anamorphic, there is a little bit of picture cut off on the sides. Not much so that you would notice, but a little bit. The R3 version just looks a little hazy or cloudy, but it's a clean print and if you adjust your TV settings you can make it look as good as the Tartan version. I have a 61" High-Def TV and the difference isn't enough to warrant purchasing the R0 if you already have the R3.

Subtitles - are the same. One instance, the Tartan subtitled writing on the chalkboard when the R3 didn't. The rest is all the same except slight differences in timing. I think the R3 version handles it better though.

Extras - Uh... nothing worth mentioning on either disc.

Price - The Tartan release can be picked up for under 25 bucks and the R3 version can be picked up for under 10 bucks. You do the math.

Verdict - If you own the R3 version, keep it. If you can play DVDs from any region, get the R3 version. If you don't have a region free player or you own a widescreen TV, then get the Tartan R0 version. I prefer the R3 version since it has the DTS advantage over the 2.0 stereo.
Old 07-13-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Verdict - If you own the R3 version, keep it. If you can play DVDs from any region, get the R3 version. If you don't have a region free player or you own a widescreen TV, then get the Tartan R0 version. I prefer the R3 version since it has the DTS advantage over the 2.0 stereo.
Are you sure you got the Tartan NTSC region 0 ot Tartan PAL region 0 DVD. Here's bulets and Babes review of the 4 versions of Battle Royale, roseart previously posted this, and the NTSC region is suppposed to have a very good 5.1 audio track.

cheers, Tony Block

http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/mod...rder=0&thold=0
Old 07-13-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tony Block

Are you sure you got the Tartan NTSC region 0 ot Tartan PAL region 0 DVD. Here's bulets and Babes review of the 4 versions of Battle Royale, roseart previously posted this, and the NTSC region is suppposed to have a very good 5.1 audio track.

cheers, Tony Block

Positive... it's not coming up as 5.1, only in stereo. I'll try it in other players... right now I'm going through side by side comparison (playing both simultaneously using picture in picture to see if there are any cuts) - once I'm done with that I'll see if I can't get the Tartan to play in 5.1. My setup is correct, and everything else plays in 5.1 on that player, so I have to assume it's only 2.0.
Old 07-13-02, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Tony Block

cheers, Tony Block

Sounds like you may be right, the PAL version only has the 2.0 track
Old 07-13-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well - I'm done - it's not cut - it's just the PAL speedup... only speeds up by a few seconds. Looks like Tartan just took their PAL version and made an NTSC version from it. I tried to get it in 5.1 and could not... it's stereo only. Pretty weak. Should I start a new thread with this info so everyone can be made aware of it in case they miss this thread?
Old 07-13-02, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again - I'm sure I don't have the R0 PAL version - it says NTSC 5.1 on the cover and I played it in my NTSC only DVD player. If it was PAL it would've looked all scrambled.
Old 07-13-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay - I got the 5.1 to work... sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-13-02, 09:19 PM

what was the problem?
Old 07-13-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find the Tartan version in EVERY way superior to the R3 version. That DTS mix has really crappy artificial sounding bass, which is better on the Tartan version.
Old 07-13-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bigdaddy1980

what was the problem?
I don't know what the problem was... it's weird. It wouldn't go 5.1 with any of 3 DVD players and then I tried another 5.1 disc and it worked so I tried BR again and it worked. Strange. Plus - when it first started working in 5.1, the left channel was all scratchy and sounded like crap... that corrected itself after I messed around with it.

I guess the Tartan release is pretty decent. I prefer the DTS track and the subtitles on the R3 version
Old 07-14-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good! I've only got a region 1 player and I've got this on order from Amazon.com/uk.

Cheers, Tony Block
Old 07-17-02, 02:02 PM

Battle Royal version at DDDhouse uncut?

Grateful for quick respons.

Best Regards
Kim
Old 07-17-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It's the original version. Okay picture quality but sound in DTS is good. Only version with DTS. There is the extended cut from Toei in Japan but no English subs.
Old 07-19-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by inri222
I think my Visa did not charge me for the conversion. When I placed the order, there was a hold for $23.13 placed on my card. When I looked today at my online statement, there is a charge for $23.81 from Amazon.co.uk. Either the extra 68 cents is the exchange charge or it could be that the pound value increased from the time I placed the order to the time my credit card was actually charged. This is still a bargain (at $23.81) compared to what other places are charging for this Region 0 release.
Mine shipped last Monday, hopefull I'll have it manana, and I was charged $24.49 by amazon.com.uk on my MC card, so either way it beats the 33.95 that HK.Flix is charging.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 07-23-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bastards - I suppose I'll have to buy this one too... grrr...

Plus - there's supposed to be a sequel coming out... $ cha-ching $ ouch.
Old 07-24-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That will be 5 releases now?

Someone should start a new thread about this new release. To keep up with all the updates....

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the classroom, now comes the much-anticipated directors version of the cult movie. Released in cinemas in Japan, but never before seen in the UK, the Battle Royale Directors Cut DVD features an extra 8 minutes, including an alternative ending, presented in anamorphic widescreen.

This limited edition two-disc set also features a Making Of documentary, interviews with director Kinju Fukasaku and Beat Takashi Kitano, and original theatrical trailer.

In addition, the boxed set will include a poster art collectors card and a unique film frame card and a 4-page booklet. Choose your weapon and fight for your copy now before the new term begins.
Old 07-26-02, 01:46 PM

Check out the price for the special edition being released on 9/23 at Amazon.com.uk.
65% discount
Old 07-26-02, 01:54 PM

My order is in; I would have probably ordered the new version of BR from them anyway, but we'll see if the 65% off price stands. I somehow doubt it.
Old 07-26-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet - Grand Total: 11.92 (including Shipping) Nice find. Hope it's the correct thing - looks like a misprice to me.
Old 07-26-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

definite misprice. cross your fingers. i know amazon.us used to honor misprices (they cancel them now or give you the option to go with the repricing). not sure about amazon.uk. anyone?
Old 07-26-02, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered this too. I wonder how long it will stay at this price if it is(which I'm sure it is) a misprice. I hope they honor the price if it is a mistake.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.