Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen "The Company", Hindi gangster film? Seeking opinions befor purchase.

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Anyone seen "The Company", Hindi gangster film? Seeking opinions befor purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I did a search for "the company", and unfortunately that brings up way too many results to check out.

Anyway, I saw this title promoted in a recent ad from PokerIndustries, and it seemed intriguing. It's described as a great ganster film from India.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have this dvd & the movie is slick & stylish the 2nd male lead, vivek oberoy did a great job in his role & the 1st male lead, ajay devgan really got under the skin of his role - it's that good

after watching this movie, you might wanna check out other movies that the director, ram gopal varma, did - especially 'sathya', a hard-hitting, gritty portrayal of one man's life in the underworld.
Old 06-23-02, 11:04 PM

Radio Sargam and IndianDVDFilms.com both have informative reviews of Company, and if you are interested in a more detailed review of the DVD itself, look no further than Zulm.

For whatever it is worth, I have this DVD for trade at the DVDtalk.com exchange forum.

Last edited by dvdsarecool; 06-26-02 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-24-02, 04:12 AM

company and satya are both badass movies. plus the girl that plays vivek oberoi's wife in COMPANY is really hot, damn hot. the picture is anamorphic and the sound is decent for 5.1 the picture can be really grainy at times and has lots of defects obviously due to the source material, but nonetheless, this movie rocks.

Last edited by dyerjp; 06-24-02 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-24-02, 07:08 AM

How's the video quality of the DVD?
Old 06-25-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I placed an order today at PokerIndustries and got "The Company", "Satya", and the HK "Dummy Mommy", all for $44.17 shipped. Not too bad for a domestic order.

Thanks again for the feedback, and the info about Satya. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-25-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Based on this thread, and the discounts that Poker is doing, I picked Company up with Organized Crime & Triad Bureau. Plus a 9.4 rating on IMDB is pretty damn good, and I like gangster flicks.

Poker discounts: PBOLLY02 for 10% off. Add an Indian film, get an extra 5% off, for a total of 15% off. Plus if over $50, free shipping. Not bad, not bad at all...

Good through July 05, 2002.
Old 06-26-02, 12:20 AM

hey guys, here's a thread about Company at Asian DVD Guide Forums: http://pub5.ezboard.com/fhongkongdvd...cID=3182.topic

And here's a thread about the DVD at the forums from www.zulm.net: http://www.zulm.net/cgi-bin/ikonboar...328;hl=company

Many people consider this to be a modern classic, and yes it does live up to the hype.

Poker Industries is a great place to buy, but if you guys want better deals you should really consider other places. For HK stuff, you should really be looking at www.dddhouse.com

However for Indian movies, you guys should really be buying them at www.indiaweekly.com

they're based in the US, and sell Bollywood dvds for really cheap prices, Company is about $12.99 while Satya may even go as low as $5.99

Here's the direct link for Company: http://216.122.236.174/datacart/prod...ProductId=4472
Old 06-26-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darius25
However for Indian movies, you guys should really be buying them at www.indiaweekly.com

they're based in the US, and sell Bollywood dvds for really cheap prices, Company is about $12.99 while Satya may even go as low as $5.99

Here's the direct link for Company: http://216.122.236.174/datacart/prod...ProductId=4472
Damn, they are cheap... How are the shipping charges? I can't get Satya to go in the cart ($6.99)???

This is the error I get:
ADODB.Recordset error '800a0cc1'

Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

/datacart/products/check_out.asp, line 357
Old 06-26-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nevermind: $2.98 for shipping. Damn, this place rocks!! Now, if I could just get Satya in my cart....
Old 06-26-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

darius25,
Thanks for the info about indiaweekly, looks like a great place. Their prices are very good. They do appear to be out of stock of "The Company" at the moment.
I've just inquired there about whether they have the longer version of Sholay available, another title I'm interested in. If they do, that's definitely where I'll buy it.
Old 06-26-02, 12:18 PM

hey dvd2001. According to another thread in the DVDtalk General forum, Indiaweekly DOES have the longer B4U version of Sholay.

What you have to do is email the company first and ask them to ship it to you, or place an order then reply immediately to your order confirmation message and ask them to send you the director's cut version (the Eros B4U version), and not the Eros DEI version (which is the standard cut).

There is about 15-20 min difference between the two, including a radically different ending. And not that the DEI version is 2.20:1 widescreen version (almost OAR) while the director's cut is full-frame (which is how it was shown in the theatres, so I guess this one is OAR too). the normal version is stereo or Dolby surround while the director's cut is in mono (which is understandable for a nearly 30-year old film).

For a good comparison between the 2 versions, click here: http://www.zulm.net/modules.php?op=m...&mode=&order=0

The review is a bit hard on both versions, but according to people in the General talk forum, both DVDs are acceptable quality.

Oh and I can vouch for Indiaweekly's great customer service - they're an AWESOME place to buy Bollywood dvds!
Old 07-07-02, 04:09 AM

Nehaflix.com carries the longer/B4U version of Sholay. I got mine from there a week ago. It was 5.99 + 1.98 shipping.

I have also used Indiaweekly and highly recommend them.

Jeff
Old 07-07-02, 11:59 PM

Anyone know anything about the DVD magazine "Bollywood Calling"? Is it a DVD or a magazine? I'm looking for good introductory stuff about Indian movies, and wondered if this would be good to get.
Old 07-12-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to all who encouraged me to take a chance with The Company. It's a keeper for me.

I watched it last night, and really enjoyed it. I thought the story and acting was generally superb. The widescreen transfer had a few flaws, but mostly fine.
Now looking forward to watching Satya.

If I'm in the mood for any more crime/drug movies, I think I'm about ready to rewatch the great BBC series, TRAFFIK, which just blew away the highly touted American remake, in my opinion.

I also got a confirmation from indiaweekly that they do have the longer version of Sholay available, as discussed above.
Old 07-12-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvd2001
Thanks to all who encouraged me to take a chance with The Company. It's a keeper for me.

I watched it last night, and really enjoyed it. I thought the story and acting was generally superb. The widescreen transfer had a few flaws, but mostly fine.
Now looking forward to watching Satya.
I too, really enjoyed this movie. The acting was great, and the theme song was cathy. Satya is next on my list.