DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Just got the new Battle Royale from Amazon UK (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/216607-just-got-new-battle-royale-amazon-uk.html)

Animezine 06-19-02 07:36 PM

Just got the new Battle Royale from Amazon UK

I just finished watching the new NTSC version of Battle Royale from Tartan. What an amazing transfer compared to the previous Tartan release. I'm in such a good mood, I've got an extra Amazon UK promotional GC. It's a 5 off 7.50 coupon.

Restrictions:
Must be first time Amazon UK customer
Expires June 24, 2002

Code:
REU5-K7QHJ5-K9EXUJ

Please post here once you've redeemed it.

Hannibal 06-19-02 08:02 PM

I didn't get mine from Amazon but I agree the transfer way better than the R3 although I miss the DTS track. Nice, correct, player generated subtitles as well. If you're a BIG fan of the film, its worth the upgrade. Now only if a subtitled Gaiden were part of a 2 disc set.

jtkv 06-19-02 08:02 PM

Thanks for the coupon.
I will use it to buy Tartan's Battle Royale NTSC version!

Thanks!!
J.T.

iskandam 06-20-02 04:19 AM

how much did it cost you with the coupon?

Hendrik 06-20-02 10:24 AM

"...Nice, correct, player generated subtitles as well..."

(fuming) ...I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the player oesn't 'generate' anything! it merely reads the bitstreams that are encoded on the disc...

(strangely enough, nobody would ever dream of writing "...Nice player generated DTS soundtrack..." - I wonder why?)

. . . :o . . .

jtkv 06-21-02 06:29 PM

Did someone already use the coupon??

I get this message:
*** This gift certificate has already been applied to your account. If you wish to use this balance towards your purchase, please leave this field blank. If you wish to apply another gift certificate to your account, please enter the new claim code number below. ***

But there is no discount in the final checkout....

J.T.

Klotera 06-21-02 09:30 PM

how much did it cost you with the coupon?
I can't say with a coupon, since I didn't use one. But, it came out to the equivalent of about $28 USD when I got it from Amazon UK. That includes shipping.

"...Nice, correct, player generated subtitles as well..."

(fuming) ...I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the player oesn't 'generate' anything! it merely reads the bitstreams that are encoded on the disc...
We know that, but its a simple way of conveying that the subtitles - rather than being on the print are actually seperately placed over the image by the player. I'm sure you realize that this is what people mean and that "generate" can be used in this sense (it generates the subs FROM the bitstream encoded on the disc), so I don't see what's to get all worked up over. Helluva lot easier than saying "Nice correct subtitles that are read by the player from the bitstreams encoded on the disc and decoded and then placed over the image," isn't it?

(strangely enough, nobody would ever dream of writing "...Nice player generated DTS soundtrack..." - I wonder why?)
Because you don't have to worry about something like the DTS track being "on the print" (heh - that'd be an interesting sight/sound/whatever). On the other hand, there is a need to distinguish when it comes to subtitles, especially when you are exposed to a number of sub-par Asian film DVDs that do, in fact, have subs on the print.

jtkv 06-22-02 10:46 AM

"nice, correct, removable subtitles" will do...
Player generated sounds so.... pretentious....

J.T.

Furious 06-22-02 05:53 PM

Well..

Then again Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks are actually a physical part of the print... :)

HyPyke 06-22-02 09:18 PM

Then again Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks are actually a physical part of the print...
Negatory good buddy. In the theater the Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio comes from CDR media and is synced to the film with a timecode track. So it isn't really PART of the print.

:)

Trigger 06-23-02 12:04 AM

I wish Benedict would come in and move all this syntax discussion to the Home Theater Hardware forum... I keep coming in here looking for new info on Battle Royale R2 and get all this mishmosh.

Skorp 06-23-02 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
I keep coming in here looking for new info on Battle Royale R2 and get all this mishmosh.
Well, as soon as I get mine from Amazon.co.uk, I'll have something to contribute -- other than the fact that this is apparently not an R2 disc. It's R0.

There's an excellent comparision review up at http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/

benedict 06-23-02 06:27 PM

<small>

Originally posted by Skorp
Well, as soon as I get mine from Amazon.co.uk, I'll have something to contribute [....]
</small>As this thread doesn't really seem to be going anywhere, perhaps you can start a nnew one [;)] as and when - or bump the Waco cinema screening <A HREF="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=217394" target="_blank">thread</a>!

Benedict