DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   The "24" DVD pre-release tips/discussion/speculation thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/216065-24-dvd-pre-release-tips-discussion-speculation-thread.html)

kevin75 06-17-02 08:53 PM

has anyone been able to find "24" on amazon.uk?

i have tried to and cannot find it. i was hoping it would be up for preorder before the 3 off 15 coupon expires.

NavinJohnson 06-17-02 09:26 PM

Are you looking for this one kevin75?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...682648-9022200

Starring: Kiefer Sutherland, Leslie Hope, et al.
Director: Jon Cassar, Davis Guggenheim

kevin75 06-18-02 06:52 PM

that would be the one. many thanks!

NotAnIssue 06-19-02 08:31 AM

FYI - Region 1 release possible soon

A couple people here have already contacted Fox and claim that a Region 1 release is set for September.

thedigitalbits.com also has a link to an article that hints at a confirmation.

Just a note in case you can wait the extra month and get the Region 1 release or at least compare the special features before committing to one or the other.

kevin75 06-19-02 07:13 PM

well i ordered it mainly because i don't see the R1 release going for as cheap as this is. under $50 is a good deal for this. however, if when it is announced, there are some substantial differences and the price is comparable then i can always cancel the order--amazon is pretty good about that.

PacMan2006 06-23-02 02:18 PM

Kevin,

I'm thinking about ordering the UK boxset of "24" too. I'm real familiar with amazon.com, but not their pre-orders. Is the price for the set now only if you act now via pre-ordering, or will this price remain the same even when the show is out?

Also, when will we hear about the special features? Maybe a month?

kevin75 06-23-02 04:58 PM

pacman,

i have had very good experiences with amazon.uk preorders and them in general. the preorder price is pretty much about what they price will be when it comes out but once the actual release date hits, i think it goes up a bit but not by much i don't think. also keep in mind that if you live in the states, that the price listed on their website will be discounted by about 15% once you get it in your cart because amazon actually deducts the VAT from your order. combine that with the 3 off 15 coupon in this thread....
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=208617

and you have a pretty good deal. the total for my set of 24 was 30.71 British which works out to about $46 shipped which is probably alot cheaper than what it will be in the states. i hope that i have been helpful to you.

NotAnIssue 06-25-02 12:12 PM

FYI: More R1 "24" info

From thedigitalbits.com

6/24/02

We've got some good Fox news for you today. We've been able to confirm with our sources that the studio is working on a DVD release of the first season of 24. Look for it to hit stores in time for the broadcast debut of season two. Fox is also working to bring Malcolm in the Middle and NYPD Blue to DVD in complete season sets.

PacMan2006 06-26-02 03:28 PM

Hey guys,

Does anyone think that watching "24" (R2) will be a problem due to the PAL speed up? I have a Malata region free player. I've had no problems watching Futurama or Family Guy. Never noticed any speed up. But I read at another forum that this may be a problem? Anyone else think it will? I have "24" preordered at amazon UK so any help would be great.

Josh Z 06-26-02 03:56 PM

Originally posted by PacMan2006
Does anyone think that watching "24" (R2) will be a problem due to the PAL speed up?
Ha! I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it...

No, actually, I don't think it will be too much of a problem. The show's "real time" gimmick was never precisely accurate anyway. It was always off by a minute or two in either direction. Plus on video there will be no commercial breaks, which will just disrupt the time flow anyway. I'm pretty sure you'll get over it fairly quickly.

PacMan2006 06-26-02 07:41 PM

Thanks Josh, but thats not what I meant. I've heard with PAL, there's a 4% increase in speed. So, although that is very minimal, will the picture on the screen be noticeably quicker in pace, or will it look fine as my Futurama or Family Guy dvd's in my region free player? Thanks.

Josh Z 06-27-02 08:55 AM

Thanks Josh, but thats not what I meant. I've heard with PAL, there's a 4% increase in speed. So, although that is very minimal, will the picture on the screen be noticeably quicker in pace, or will it look fine as my Futurama or Family Guy dvd's in my region free player? Thanks.
The 4% speedup is hardly ever noticeable visually. You might notice a slight pitch increase in the audio, but many times even this is adjusted for in the PAL sound mix.

If you don't notice a problem on the two PAL discs you have now, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

kevin75 06-27-02 06:10 PM

has anyone got the specs on this set yet? just curious....BTW here is some artwork from amazon...
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

PacMan2006 06-27-02 06:46 PM

Kevin,

It actually seems like R1 will have more features than R2. Here's a quote from DVDFILE.com

"Here´s a cool one.. did you catch last year´s most unique and original series premiere, the "real time" adventure show 24? (You should have) In what is another sure sign that the studios are embracing TV programming on DVD, even something as recent as only a few months old, Fox has just announced a 9/17 street date for 24: 1: a box set of the entire first season. Presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen and 5.1 surround extras include commentary on select episodes, 2 featurettes, episode details, hidden surprises, and more to be announced."

The link is: www.dvdfile.com

kevin75 06-27-02 07:51 PM

yeah i noticed that. i hope that the R1 will have the alternate endings. if i could find out what the R2 specs are, then i could make up my mind as to which version to get. the R1 one sounds pretty sweet,

kenbuzz 06-29-02 04:07 PM

So here's the basic quandary:
R1 - Loaded with extras, unknown price
R2 - Reasonably priced (w/VAT removed plus coupon), unknown extras.

Arrgh! :whofart:

Here's what dvdtimes.co.uk has to say:

According to information direct from Fox Home Entertainment, hit US TV series 24 will be released on DVD in the UK this summer. The series, which stars Kiefer Sutherland, is unique as the 24-episode season makes up the 24 hours of a single day. Hence each episode takes place in "real-time", as it were. Or at least, that's the idea, but being a US show allowance is obviously made for advert breaks. In the absence of these adverts (on UK TV and on any DVD or VHS releases), each episode only lasts about 45 minutes.

According to our information, the entire season will be released in a 6-disc box set on 19 August. As yet we have no details regarding extra features, although there is a rumour circulating that the set could include five different endings to the season (which were shot to try and avoid spoiler-leakage).

Perhaps most interesting is that fact that several retailers including Blackstar are listing this set for pre-order for a very low price (£34.99 in Blackstar's case). Given the £80 recommended price of other 6-disc TV boxsets (e.g. Buffy the Vampire Slayer), this is suspisciously cheap. More information when we have it.

I just hope we learn more before the GBP 3 coupon goes bad on 7/31

kevin75 06-29-02 04:20 PM

actually the R1 version price is known. amazon has it for around $45. here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...126855-1342204

i ended up cancelling my amazon.uk order because the price for R1 was about the same and the extras seem to be lots more on R1 as opposed to R2.

PacMan2006 07-02-02 02:26 PM

Some Bad News Regarding "24" on DVD...?",

Well, the news isn't horrible. It's not delayed or anything. But, acording to this URL, they say the specs for the R1 release will be exactly the same as R2, which means no featurettes and no commentary among others. Same sound quality as well. Does anyone know how reliable this site is?

Here's the link:
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4337

At the same site, there's a link to some menu shots of "24" on dvd in the UK this August: http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4332

Well, so far, I'm happy I kept that R2 pre-order.

kenbuzz 07-05-02 03:33 PM

Originally posted by kevin75
i ended up cancelling my amazon.uk order because the price for R1 was about the same and the extras seem to be lots more on R1 as opposed to R2.
So, let's see:
R1 = $44.99 + s/h(FREE*) = $44.99
R2 = GBP35.99 - VAT(GBP5.36) - Coupon(GBP3 off 15) + s/h(GBP3.08) = GBP30.71 = $46.75 (www.xe.com GBP1 = $1.52216)

Yup, slightly cheaper in R1, and if an Amazon coupon appears soon, cheaper still.

*This title is elgible for free shipping on orders over $49, so you need to combine it with a $4.01 item

PacMan2006 07-05-02 05:46 PM

Yes, but if the extras turn out to be the same then R2 is the way to go.

kenbuzz 07-06-02 11:07 AM

Yes, but if the extras turn out to be the same then R2 is the way to go.
Why do you say that? The R1 release is less expensive, possibly even moreso with a possible coupon. The only R2 advantage I could see would be an earlier release date.

PacMan2006 07-06-02 09:55 PM

I have both the R1 and R2 version on pre-order (still thinking on which to cancel). They both shake out to $45.00 though amazon.com and amazon.com (UK).

PacMan2006 07-08-02 02:16 PM

So...is it 100% confirmed that the R2 release will be identical to the R1 as far as extras? I haven't seen any R1 sites disproving the statement made by some UK site a week back.

If so, which release do you plan on buying?

PacMan2006 07-10-02 04:49 PM

Hey guys,

Will the R2 version of "24" have any cuts? I have seen some R2 releases, especially things broadcasted on the BBC, have cuts once they get released onto DVD?

Is there anyway we can find this out before it's released? If it has cuts, I'll just get the R1 version. Anyone know? Thanks.

PacMan2006 07-15-02 04:50 PM

Here's an article about "24" on DVD. With this new info on the extras, will anyone be getting "24" in R2 instead of R1 so they can have it a month earlier?

------------------------------------

Fox out front with '24' DVD

Execs feared early release could hurt syndie chances

By JOSEF ADALIAN

In a move that could significantly change the way studios view the backend potential for primetime series, the entire first season of Fox's action drama "24" will be released on DVD Sept. 17.
Decision by 20th Century Fox TV and Fox Home Entertainment reps the first time a full season of a Big Six skein has been offered for sale on DVD before the series has been either sold into syndication or canceled.

Execs have worried that selling complete seasons on DVD so early in a show's run would hurt its chances of snagging big auds in syndication -- and therefore diminish the amount of coin a studio could collect in off-net sales.

HBO has found success selling DVDs of signature skeins "The Sopranos," "Sex and the City" and "Oz" -- but because of content issues, and HBO's tendency to multiplex repeats of its series, none of those shows is deemed to have the same sort of backend potential as a network skein.

But execs at 20th and Imagine, which produce "24," ultimately decided that releasing a DVD now wouldn't significantly damage the skein's backend potential -- particularly because of the show's unusual real-time format.

"We saw a unique opportunity with '24,' " said 20th Century Fox TV prexy Gary Newman. "The tremendous buzz, the serialized nature of the storytelling and the demand from fans to see these episodes in-depth and over and over as they follow the clues to 'the mole' really made it worth taking a shot."

A lure for auds

What's more, execs believe the release will serve as a powerful promotional tool for luring new auds to season two.

"We wanted to get this DVD out there before season two started and really give the audience out there a chance to find this show," said Peter Staddon, senior veep for Fox Home Entertainment marketing. "The DVD is going to be a way to solidify and build on its core audience."

Co-creator/exec producer Robert Cochran-- who's also a profit participant in the series -- said he's "thrilled" his show is coming out on DVD so soon.

"Our show has a different kind of format, and you have to get people used to that format," he said. "Hopefully, people who buy the DVD might tune in for the next season."

Whether "24" will lead to earlier DVD releases of network shows remains to be seen, but Staddon believes "24" will be the first of many early DVD rollouts.

"People are seeing the backend value of DVD and that there's a real revenue stream there that doesn't have to impact syndication," he said. "The units (of DVDs) sold is a tiny fraction of the available audience for syndication."

Collector's edition

Fox Home Entertainment will release "24" as a six-disc collector's edition, with four letterboxed episodes per disc and a retail pricetag of $59.98. Because of the short amount of prep time for the set -- about 2½ months vs. the usual six months -- the DVD collection will feature only a handful of extras.

Bonus material highlights include an alternate ending for May's pivotal season-ender, in which a main character was killed. Exec producers Joel Surnow and Cochran will offer an alternate audio commentary for the never-broadcast scenes.

The DVD set will also include a preview of season two and will come packaged with a so-called impact card featuring the second season premiere date.

Staddon said Fox Home Entertainment plans to release full season collections of "24" every year the show is on the air.

"You can't release season one now and hold back season two for six years (after the show is in syndication)," he said.

Staddon said Fox Home Entertainment is already working with "24" producers on potential extras for a season two DVD release.

"Going forward, our objective is to add a lot more value to each release," he said.