Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One-And-Only Malata Advice Thread [Part Five]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

One-And-Only Malata Advice Thread [Part Five]

Old 07-17-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jtkv
Trigger,
The new firmware fixes the DTS drop, and makes your system all-region. No more button pressing to switch regions...

The negative is having to manually solder the motherboard components to enable and disable the firmware flash function.

J.T.
Aww crap. Someone want to do it for me? I'm afraid to mess with it. Which firmware upgrade do I get? I found multiple instructions at AVDeals, which ones to I use? Too bad it's not like a processor where I can use a lead pencil instead of a solder gun.
Old 07-18-02, 12:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trigger, go to the AVSforum.com and send a message to CKNA. He can do the upgrade. Not for free, of course. He did mine. If he's too busy, you might have to wait.

What exactly was on the Expert menu that you wanted?
That menu has adjustments for audio to choose DTS output, subtitle choices, as well as the Filters, which are absolutely neccessary. I would imagine the filters have been moved...?
Old 07-23-02, 06:25 PM

yeah but i don't understand what that has to do with my cable box. Im getting nothing from that not even the background/sound effects
Old 08-03-02, 09:50 AM

A preemptive FYI for the person who asked about replacing their Malata remote below. You can call Bob at Malata Canada at 905-738-0998. I dropped my remote and had it replaced.
Old 08-06-02, 05:22 PM

I have the N996 and my All In One Remote simply doesn't want to work with the Malata. My only real complaint about the player.
Old 08-14-02, 04:05 PM

I have a N996, so I am not sure if my player is 100% like yours, but here are my settings for a 16X9 TV plus Dolby Digital/DTS equipment (I have Coax to receiver). This should work for you...

USER MENU:

TV Signal System: NTSC
TV Type: 16:9
Audio Mode: 5.1
Video Mode: CVBS Y Cb Cr
Scan Type: Progressive

EXPERT MENU

Video: DAC Progressive - Y, Y Pr Pr
...........Signal Type: - 525 lines
...........Video Filter - Smart (use Movie for animation; Still for PAL)

Subpicture: Always

Audio: CDDA S/PDIF BYPASS - Off
...........DECODER SETUP - DTS (this passes through all signals to your receiver)
Old 08-14-02, 10:36 PM

Matt, I have a question about the decoder setup. Mine was set on Dolby. I changed it to DTS , then it goes to another screen with two subheadings, Digital Output and Bass Target. What should those two be set on? Mine were already set on PCM on Digital Output and Auto on Bass Target. Is that correct? I have a Pioneer VSX-D810S Receiver , so I do have DTS capability. What are some of your other audio settings? Thanks.

Clint
Old 08-15-02, 04:31 PM

Clint, I am not sure. That's a change from the N996. PCM sounds wrong, since that is for stereo surround. I think you need to give Malata Canada a call. I wish I had access to one of these decks.
Old 08-15-02, 10:30 PM

No Matt. I have a N996. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. Does yours not do anything after you click on the DTS setting under Decoder Setup? I have one of the ones with the newer firmware and I got it not long before they discontinued the 996 so maybe mine is a little different I don't know. PCM sounded wrong to me too. Let me go look at the other choices. Ok here is what it looks like.

Decoder Setup ( click on that )
DTS ( number 4 choice , click on that )
then it goes to another screen that looks like this
(1) Digital Output
(2) Bass Target
I click on Digital Output and here are the options
(1) Original
(2) PCM
(3) Orginal S/PDIF Only ( that's the way original is spelled on screen hehe )

There is an arrow by PCM , so PCM is the current setting

Here are the options under Bass Target

(1) None
(2) Auto
(3) Sub Woofer
(4) Front

My arrow is currently at Auto, so Auto is the current setting. I am thinking that since I haven't been able to afford to buy a subwoofer yet it might should be on Front but I am not sure. I do have the setting of the Malata on 5.0 instead of 5.1. I also have the LFE set to Off on the Malata. Is that right?

Another question I have for you Matt. You say to set the CDDA S/PDIF Bypass to Off. I have done that several times but it never seems to hold it for very long. It holds all of my other settings but for some reason that one will go back to On. What does that setting do? I am not sure what it means. I really wish I knew more about audio and the terminology. Thanks for all of your help Matt.

Clint
Old 08-16-02, 08:09 PM

N996 Malata DVD player PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have a malata n996 dvd player I went through the set up and changed the player to progressive scan and all of a sudden the screen went blank. I can still hear everything but I can't see anything I have a NTSC TV can some one tell me the setup layout so maybe I can count the arrows on the remote control to take it off progressive scan Im worried because I cant see anything please HELP!!!!
Old 08-16-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: N996 Malata DVD player PLEASE HELP!!!!

Originally posted by Omshanti Green
I have a malata n996 dvd player I went through the set up and changed the player to progressive scan and all of a sudden the screen went blank. I can still hear everything but I can't see anything I have a NTSC TV can some one tell me the setup layout so maybe I can count the arrows on the remote control to take it off progressive scan Im worried because I cant see anything please HELP!!!!
Do you have a TV capable of displaying progressive scan? If not, then that's the problem. Also you can only view progressive scan if you connect your dvd player to your TV with component video cables; u can't use s-video or rca cables.
Old 08-16-02, 09:34 PM

Thanks for your fast response I don't have a Progressive Scan TV I want to change it back but I can't see the setup menu hopefully someone can post it so I can look at it and count using the arrows on the remote to change it back HELP
Old 08-16-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for your fast response I don't have a Progressive Scan TV I want to change it back but I can't see the setup menu hopefully someone can post it so I can look at it and count using the arrows on the remote to change it back HELP
U can probably find it through your manual. I had the same problem and I just counted the number of options given in the manual and got myself back to interlaced.
Old 08-17-02, 01:06 AM

You were right it was in the manuel thank you again
Old 08-17-02, 09:26 PM

Help! I just was the latest victim of the Malata blue screen of death!
Everything is working fine, I had a R3 PAL disc in the p996 & then the display on my TV went blue!
The sound still works,but the picture has gone blank!
I tired all of the usual plugs/lines & everything is as it should be.
When I turned off the power switch & started up the player, I get the "welcome" graphic & then nothing.
Fried laser ? Did I hit some button on the controll that caused this? Bad karma?
I need some imput here!
Thanks.
Old 08-17-02, 10:39 PM

funkydjmcescher

I have the malata N996 when i had that problem I held the subpicture button down for 5 seconds and that made the picture go back to normal see if it works
Old 08-17-02, 10:44 PM

Re: funkydjmcescher

I have the malata N996 when i had that problem I held the subpicture button down for 5 seconds and that made the picture go back to normal see if it works
Hmm.. I tried that 1st & it worked for a few seconds. Then back to the "BSOD". I think part of the problem may lie in the remote & some sort of odd combo of buttons that I pushed.
Old 08-19-02, 02:43 AM
Banned

I have a Malata n996 and the problem I have is having Dolby Digital come out. DTS is no problem. I have everything set the way it should be, but no DD. What is the solution?
Old 08-19-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by Rocky_Raccoon
No Matt. I have a N996. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. Does yours not do anything after you click on the DTS setting under Decoder Setup? I have one of the ones with the newer firmware and I got it not long before they discontinued the 996 so maybe mine is a little different I don't know. PCM sounded wrong to me too. Let me go look at the other choices. Ok here is what it looks like.

Decoder Setup ( click on that )
DTS ( number 4 choice , click on that )
then it goes to another screen that looks like this
(1) Digital Output
(2) Bass Target
I click on Digital Output and here are the options
(1) Original
(2) PCM
(3) Orginal S/PDIF Only ( that's the way original is spelled on screen hehe )
My 996's menu structure is the same way, and I've always wondered why people were just saying to set the audio for DTS when it's not as simple as that. I suppose a different firmware would explain the different menus.

Anyway, you should set the Digital Output for Original if you want to pass the signal straight through the DVD player and allow your receiver to do the decoding. You will have to do this for both the DTS and Dolby Digital settings under Decoder Setup. That should get you straightened out.
Old 08-19-02, 09:47 PM

Thanks Josh. I messed with my settings after I posted my message and kinda figured out what was wrong. I set it to Original S/PDIF Only tho. What does the S/PDIF mean? I guess I should change it to Original. I was getting Dolby Digital and DTS with both settings tho. Damn it is so awesome to finally hear DTS sound. I feel like a complete idiot for not getting it to work until now. I always wondered why the DTS symbol was not lighting up on my receiver. I was getting sound tho so I thought it was putting out the DTS sound. I guess I was just getting a pro-logic signal. I can really tell the difference now. Today I put in Gladiator, Seven, Terminator 2, Twin Peaks, and Battle Royale. It was like hearing these movies for the first time. DTS rocks. Thanks guys for helping me out again. Y'all have saved my stupid redneck ass more times than I can count .

Clint
Old 08-22-02, 01:33 AM
Banned

Now I'm getting DTS dropouts on my March 2002 Malata n996 with the Region 4 Back to the Future. Codefree or Matt, are you getting that too?
Old 08-22-02, 07:35 AM

God I hope I don't have a problem but I haven't actually received mine yet. It shipped from EzyDVD last week so it darn well should arrive any day now. I'm hoping to watch it this weekend. Is it just part 1 that's having the dropouts? Man I'll be pissed if that happens.
Old 08-22-02, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: funkydjmcescher

That happened to me when I first got mine and was playing around with it. Found the solution (yours) in the manual. I think the solution should be more prominently displayed in the manual as anyone without a progressive scan TV may still want to put the player into progressive scan mode "just to see what happens."

BTW, it's at the bottom of Page 16 (for the 996).

Last edited by movielib; 08-22-02 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-22-02, 08:13 AM
Banned

Wow! I can't believe it. I bought my n996 in March 2002 with the upgrade switch. I assumed it had the November 9 upgrade. To my utter shock after checking it today as a last resort it does not. Where can I get the upgrade for my player? Codefree, I think my problem with droputs will go away once I upgrade.
Old 08-22-02, 11:34 AM

Re: Re: funkydjmcescher

Originally posted by movielib

That happened to me when I first got mine and was playing around with it. Found the solution (yours) in the manual. I think the solution should be more prominently displayed in the manual as anyone without a progressive scan TV may still want to put the player into progressive scan mode "just to see what happens."

BTW, it's at the bottom of Page 16 (for the 996).
Turns out that the problem was something that I never would have looked for: static from dust!
When I turned on the player, I noticed that on the powerstrip
a small spark would emit under the power converter. The plug was out of the socket by (maybe) 1/8 of an inch. I turned off the player & the powerstrip, then used some compressed air to clean out the socket.Turned it back on & it loaded a DVD just fine!
However, point well taken re: holding the "subpicture" button.
I think that (collectively) we should put togther a Malata FAQ & post it perhaps sometime in the near future.
BTW: I watched Suriyothai & enjoyed it quite a bit!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.