Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Malata and beyond: discussing Region-Free DVD player options [PART3]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Malata and beyond: discussing Region-Free DVD player options [PART3]

Old 05-24-02, 02:55 PM

Hi All,

I need to buy a code free DVD player, which would essentially need to play DVDs from Region 1,2 and 5 as well. I have read lot of threads here and Malata N 996 or the newer Malata DVP 520 seem to be everybody's choice. Is there a DVD player (should play VCDs and MP3 Cds as well), which has a 3 or 5 disc changer and similar features as the Malata ? Any recommendations are welcome......

Thanx
Jessie

Last edited by benedict; 06-12-02 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-27-02, 03:22 PM
Banned

Does anyone recommend getting a player modified to play all regions and if so, where would be a good place to have this done?

Or should I just sell my current player and buy a Malata?

Last edited by Chuckopolis; 05-27-02 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-12-02, 09:31 AM

Grrr! I just want a DVD player!!

This is so frustrating! I spent several hours on-line last night trying to choose a DVD player. I searched this forum much of the time and just ended up more confused. I'm sorry if this is a really common nuissance question, but I hope some of you can take a moment to give your recommendations. (Please tell me why you like them or where I can get technical details.)

Here's basically what I'm looking for:
Plays all-regions
Plays PAL discs on NTSC TVs and NTSC discs on PAL TVs
Plays REA and RCE Discs
Sturdy piece of machinery that won't break when I ship it around the world.
Prefer macrovision disabled, but not if it will interfere with playback quality in any way.

Of course, the usual, great picture.

A lot of people seem to think highly of Malata, but I've never heard of them before.

Anyone know anything about the Sony DVP-NS300E or Pioneer DV-233/533?

Thanks!!!
-Brian*
[email protected]
Old 06-12-02, 10:21 AM

Well, I'm planning to upgrade to a Malata soon as my primary all region player. I don't think you'll hear any other recommendations especially if you want good PAL conversion.

I went the cheapy route with my first all region player and got a Daewoo 5700 for around $100. It's not bad for the cost, and it gave me a good taste of all-region goodness. However, I'm starting to get that hungry look for some good PAL conversion.

Hence, the upgrade to a Malata soon
Old 06-12-02, 11:11 AM

Re: Grrr! I just want a DVD player!!

Originally posted by Buraian
A lot of people seem to think highly of Malata, but I've never heard of them before.
A year ago I hadn't heard of a Malata either. Now for a few months I've been the happy owner of one. The player isn't perfect but it far exceeds the quality PAL-->NTSC conversion of any other player on the market. For a mere $300 this player does just about anything you could possibly want and it does a great job of it. Don't delay, buy one today!
Old 06-12-02, 11:48 AM

If you're looking for a name brand player that does perfect PAL to NTSC conversion, look at the modded JVC players. I just bought the JVC XV-S500BK for about the same as Malata. It uses the same Mediamatics chip and the PAL conversion looks great. It does require a manual region change, but it's no major operation and balances some of the quirks the Malata has. Good luck!

Ted
Old 06-12-02, 05:44 PM

I recently purchased the JVC XV-S500BK. However, the JVC's picture quality (from NTSC discs) seems to be softer than Pioneer DV-414 that I also own.

How is the picture quality of JVC XV-S500BK comparing to the Malata when playing NTSC/PAL discs? Does the Malata also have the soft picture like the JVC since both of them use the Mediamatics chip?
Old 06-12-02, 05:48 PM

Ted, since the JVC XV-S500BK does not have the STILL filter like the Malata, have you ever had any shimmering problem on some PAL discs with the JVC?

Because I heard that they have to use the STILL filter to eliminate/reduce the shimmering problem on the Malata.

I don't have a PAL disc to test with my JVC.

Thank you.
Old 06-12-02, 08:04 PM
Cool New Member

Get a Malata. Never had a problem with anything. It's your best option...
Old 06-13-02, 09:39 AM

Jojo,

I've sampled some PAL discs and haven't noticed any shimmering. Is this like a jitter or the moire effect on non-anamorphic discs? At any rate, "Amelie", "Three Colors", "Great Escape SE" all look wonderful.

Ted
Old 06-13-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are some PAL movies, go back to the previous thread that do convert properly on the Malata. But, don't let that stop you from acquiring one and don't sell your dedicated R1 NTSC player
Old 06-14-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I'd like to get a region free player too...but I'm not willing to spend over 100 bucks on one.
The only reason I want one is to be able to play the occasional DVD that never comes out here in the states, or is offered as a souped up SE somewhere besides here (read: Predator).

Any suggestions? What's this about a Daewoo? Also, does the Apex still do all region?
Do I HAVE to do PAL conversion if i'm just getting a disc from the UK or Australia?
Old 06-14-02, 04:52 PM

Ted, look at this thread. This is the problem I was referring to. Did you ever encounter any problems as described in the thread?

Thank you.
Old 06-14-02, 05:08 PM

Sorry forgot to post the thread.
Here it is http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=215336
Old 06-14-02, 09:42 PM

Jojo,

I can't say that I've noticed anything like that described in your referenced thread, but I plan to do some serious PAL watching this weekend, so I'll post my impressions in a couple of days. BTW, I'm viewing on a 27" Sony Wega w/anamorphic mode, so I don't know if the shimmering (if it exists) will be as evident as it might be on your screens (if they're larger).
Old 06-18-02, 11:31 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Zodo, why don't you just demand we buy you one for free, because that's pretty much what you are asking. You cannot find any decent player for under a hundred, let alone a region free one. Even the crapola Apex/Sampo/Raite/Shinco/Digitron/etc. etc line of players cost more than $100 and they SUCK, converting the PAL discs into geometry challenged NTSC.

You get what you pay for and the only options are the Malata and the hacked JVC's. Sorry. And yes, PAL is PAL and you can't just turn an NTSC player into a magical beat that converts PAL to NTSC. The chip that runs the player has to have that ability built in.

Somebody said...
Here's basically what I'm looking for:
Plays all-regions
Plays PAL discs on NTSC TVs and NTSC discs on PAL TVs
Plays REA and RCE Discs
Sturdy piece of machinery that won't break when I ship it around the world.
Prefer macrovision disabled, but not if it will interfere with playback quality in any way.
No such player exists. The Malata and the JVC's do pretty much all of the above, but they are not Macrovision disabled. It is getting harder and harder to disable Macrovision, so "VCR friendly" decks will soon be a thing of the past.
Old 06-23-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need info for Newbie to Code Free DVD

After seeing nice SEs of certain movies I want being released in other regions while barebones (if that) editions are released here in the US, Ive finally decided I want to get a region-free DVD player. The thing is, I dont know where to begin.

Ive seen people speak good things about the Malata. It sounds like the one to get, but where can I get the best deal? I need some good links to the best retailers of codefree players.

Also, I saw that someone in another thread suggested that you shouldnt get rid of your region 1 player. Will I need this to fall back on, or could I possibly experience problems with any region1 discs on the Malata? The thing is, Im expecting this player to cost me around $300, so the $70 I could probably get for my old DVD player would definitely help out, but I dont want to get rid of it if I find I will regret it later.
Old 06-23-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And right after posting that, i found this:

http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/dvdorig.htm

Is this a good buy? $169 is a very good price, but will I be happy with this player? They make it sound very nice, but you can never tell.
Old 06-24-02, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ENDContra
And right after posting that, i found this:

http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/dvdorig.htm

Is this a good buy? $169 is a very good price, but will I be happy with this player? They make it sound very nice, but you can never tell.
You might want to try using the forum search feature to see if the player is mentioned anywhere.

The Malata N996 has gotten a lot of talk here - and quite a few people seem to have it. My guess would be that most (including me) are quite happy with it. Although it has been discontinued, it is still one of the more popular all region players. Perhaps you should consider this one also.
Old 06-24-02, 06:36 PM

It will not do the proper conversion, so save your $169 and put it towards a Malata or modded JVC.
Old 06-25-02, 06:48 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not sure about this place but I just found this Malata DVD-310 for $159.95

http://www.lfvw.com/malata300.html

I personally have a Sampo DVE-611. I have downloaded the instructions on how to make it Region Free, I guess I'm going to try this first when the BTTF Region 4 trilogy comes in. If it doesn't work, guess I'll get me a Malata.
Old 06-25-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by wiz
Not sure about this place but I just found this Malata DVD-310 for $159.95

http://www.lfvw.com/malata300.html

I personally have a Sampo DVE-611. I have downloaded the instructions on how to make it Region Free, I guess I'm going to try this first when the BTTF Region 4 trilogy comes in. If it doesn't work, guess I'll get me a Malata.
This warning from your link would keep me away from this one:

NOTICE: THIS PLAYER WILL STREACH [sic] 16X9 PAL DVD TO FULL SCREEN. ONLY THE MALATA DVG-520 [they mean DVP-520] WILL SHOW THEM IN THE RIGHT RATIO.
It looks like Malata is putting out a cheaper unit to compete with the Sampos, Daewoos, Apexes etc. You still have to pay more than this to get proper PAL to NTSC conversion.

Last edited by movielib; 06-25-02 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-25-02, 01:48 PM

People always want to pay less.
Old 06-25-02, 04:31 PM

It is getting harder and harder to disable Macrovision, so "VCR friendly" decks will soon be a thing of the past.
Matt,

Do you mean this from a technical or legal standpoint? I've always found it mysterious why DVD enthusiasts should care about macrovision (other than getting rid of it as a matter of principal), but never mind.

Question: is there any reason for me not to recommend the Malata 520 to a friend?

Thanks,
Ted
Old 06-25-02, 08:34 PM

Technical. Removing it is near impossible now.

As long as your friend gets the model with updated firnware, the new Malata is a killer machine.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.