Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Buying Hiroyuki "Sabu" Tanaka's movies on DVD? [+ Tom&Jerry questions]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Buying Hiroyuki "Sabu" Tanaka's movies on DVD? [+ Tom&Jerry questions]

Old 06-09-02, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I'm new and I need some help

Does anyone know where I can get any of Hiroyuki "Sabu" Tanaka's movies on DVD? I've requested one from CD Japan but it's a tad expensive. I'm currently awaiting a response from AMO Tokyo about a request. I'm looking for Postman Blues in particular. Any help/advice is very appreciated. I’d actually prefer the Hong Kong VHS release with English subs. Any info on that?

Also, I love Tom & Jerry and I want to pick up the R2 DVDs. I read the recent related thread and the big one that it has a link to. I'd just like confirmation on the following things before I order:

-The only edited thing on ANY version of the sets is the Mammy voice, correct?
-There are NO Cinemascope versions on the discs?

The only releases with Cinemascope are the Laserdiscs, right? There are auctions for both boxes on eBay right now. Very expensive though.

Can someone tell me all of the episodes on the Academy Collection please?

One last thing, could someone break down all of the different versions on CD Japan's site? There are a lot of releases. For example, what's the difference between the Academy Collection and the other disc that doesn't have a title but claims to come with all the Oscar winning/nominated shorts PLUS a stuffed Tom doll?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks a lot!

~Zenigata
Old 06-09-02, 09:51 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Hi. I'm new and I need some help

Originally posted by Zenigata
Does anyone know where I can get any of Hiroyuki "Sabu" Tanaka's movies on DVD? I've requested one from CD Japan but it's a tad expensive. I'm currently awaiting a response from AMO Tokyo about a request. I'm looking for Postman Blues in particular. Any help/advice is very appreciated. I’d actually prefer the Hong Kong VHS release with English subs. Any info on that?

Don't know about a HK VHS, but there is a HK VCD of Postman Blues with chinese/english subs. There's a subbed HK VCD of Dangan Runner available too.

Postman Blues, Dangan Runner, Unlucky Monkey & Monday are all available on DVD in Japan. No subs on any of them, but there are timed scripts available for all.

Asian Film Network are supposed to be releasing Unlucky Monkey in Germany sometime in the future. If it's anything like their other discs, it'll have english subs.
Old 06-09-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I picked up both Postman Blues and Dangan Runner on VCD, but have yet to watch either.

Goemon - do you know of any timed scripts for Sleazy Dizzy?
Old 06-10-02, 01:32 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Trigger
Goemon - do you know of any timed scripts for Sleazy Dizzy?
No, I'm almost certain that there isn't a script for Sleazy Dizzy floating around. DVDShelf list the VCD as having english subs...I take it this isn't the case?