DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   What's smarter: Buying a region free dvd player or buying a PAL to NTSC converter? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/212892-whats-smarter-buying-region-free-dvd-player-buying-pal-ntsc-converter.html)

PacMan2006 06-04-02 04:21 PM

What's smarter: Buying a region free dvd player or buying a PAL to NTSC converter?

Hy guys/gals,

I'm pretty new to this. I've been doing my best to find the best region free dvd player for the best price. I want a good one that is reliable and won't have playback problems.

The main reason I would get one is so I can play ALL kinds of dvd's regardless of region. Sure, disabled macrovision sounds good, and progressive scan dvd players are great, but I just want to be able to play a DVD from the UK or Hong Kong in good quality.

I've looked up Apex, Daewoo, Malata, Sampo, etc, and they all have their pro's and con's. Everytime I read a review or a message board post with something saying they love, for example, the Apex AD 600A, I read someone saying it overheats and the picture is questionable. I just don't know what to do regarding a region free dvd player. I want a very good one, but I don't want to break the bank either and everytime I read something good, I read one or two things about a player that is bad.

So it brings me to my question: Should I just try and buy a Sampo, Daewoo, Apex, etc and hope it works, or should I buy a converter? I'm know nothing about these PAL to NTSC converters, but if they deliver what they are supposed to do, it could be worth considering. But, I'd love to have your opinions here first!

Thanks in advance.

UAIOE 06-04-02 04:38 PM

From my limited research i have found that a stand alone PAL to NTSC converter costs more than a DVD player with one included in it.

I think the price of the few i saw was like $600+.

ScreachingWeasel 06-04-02 05:08 PM

I had a convertor previously(Actually I still do) to go with my region free Pioneer and it was alright. The Malata is much better for PAL playback though. Also as someone else pointed out it is cheaper to go with a DVD player that has the convertor in it as opposed to using the convertor. Convertors are about the same price as a Malata all the up to the thousands I think.

Hendrik 06-04-02 06:25 PM

...even if you had a suitable converter, you would still need an all-region player... so I'd say getting a good all-in-one unit would be the smarter move... just MNSHO, of course!

. . . :o . . .

deathboy 06-04-02 06:46 PM

A Malata DVD Player would be the right option...

RichardW 06-04-02 07:09 PM

I researched converters and region-free players last year. Then I heard about the Malata and saved hundreds of dollars by getting one. :D

aeron 06-04-02 08:25 PM

Yeah, the answer is probably both...such as the Malata.

PacMan2006 06-04-02 08:47 PM

Well the Malata is just too expensive for me for a dvd player. I'm thinking about getting a Daewoo. Anyone have any experience with this region free player?

ScreachingWeasel 06-04-02 08:54 PM

Originally posted by PacMan2006
Well the Malata is just too expensive for me for a dvd player. I'm thinking about getting a Daewoo. Anyone have any experience with this region free player?
It will stretch out anamorphic PAL movies and I think Matt Stevens said it will squish non anamorphic a little bit as well.

codefree 06-04-02 09:19 PM

Stand alone video converters suck! I had one with my previous codefree Pioneer DVD player and the PAL pictures looked like $hit! Dark scenes in movies would like very splotchy... really nasty! Thank God for the Malata which does near perfection conversion.

late_but_earnest 06-04-02 11:28 PM

Although I am not completely happy with my Malata, I can't imagine life without it. ;)

PacMan2006 06-04-02 11:30 PM

Autumn,

When you say adjust my settings so the dvd will look stretched out, what exactly do you mean? Do you just mean zoom in all the way? Zoom in just a little bit? Something different?

And is 16X9 mean anamorphic, or does something else mean anamorphic too?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Stevens 06-05-02 05:59 PM

Stand alone converters make PAL DVD look very soft. We are talking about VHS resolution.

The APEX and clones (any non Malata or JVC) make PAL DVD's look funny, as mentioned above. Anamorphic or not, the aspect ratio will be distorted. If you absolutely must spend less than $200, then you also must be aware of the cheap player's shortcomings.

I've had my Malata for almost a year now. I love it. It is, hands down, the best item I have ever purchased.

ScreachingWeasel 06-05-02 06:58 PM

Autumn,

When you say adjust my settings so the dvd will look stretched out, what exactly do you mean? Do you just mean zoom in all the way? Zoom in just a little bit? Something different?

And is 16X9 mean anamorphic, or does something else mean anamorphic too?

Thanks in advance.

Set your dvd player to 16:9 mode instead of widescreen/letterbox with an anamorphic dvd from the US in the player and that's pretty much what Pal anamorphic movies will look like on an Apex/Sampo/Daewoo . Movies with a 1:85 aspect ratio will be stretched out to fullscreen and movies with a 2:35 aspect ratio will look like they are 1:85.

PacMan2006 06-05-02 10:15 PM

Everyone talks about the Malata dvd players, but where do you get them? I know they aren't being sold on ebay...

slymer 06-05-02 10:48 PM

Everyone talks about the Malata dvd players, but where do you get them? I know they aren't being sold on ebay...
Try here - www.nbtelectronics.com

They have the Malata DVP-520 for about $280.00 USD shipped.

benedict 06-06-02 05:29 AM

Originally posted by AutumnNights
Well, for whatever it's worth, here are my $.02 [good advice/analysis snipped]

:up: As usual, very wise words!

<small><font color=white>;) Can I close this thread yet?</small></font>

movielib 06-06-02 10:33 AM

Actually, there is a guy who sells them on eBay. He sold the old model DVD-N996 for a little less than most of the etaliers. He is selling the new DVP-520 and although there are none on now, here is one that he sold recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1356333050

But for now, his price is $320 shipped which is about $40 more than NBT.

I've got the DVD-N996 and it's one of the best consumer electronics purchases I've ever made.

PacMan2006 06-06-02 01:15 PM

Movielib,

What did you purchase the Malata for? Macrovision free? Plays ALL kinds of dvd's regardles of region? Connects to VCR for DVD copies?

What kind of other region dvd's do you have?

I've heard anamorphic widescreen on region free players comes in odd? With your Malata, is that still a problem? Thanks.

movielib 06-06-02 02:02 PM

Movielib,

What did you purchase the Malata for? Macrovision free? Plays ALL kinds of dvd's regardles of region? Connects to VCR for DVD copies?

What kind of other region dvd's do you have?

I've heard anamorphic widescreen on region free players comes in odd? With your Malata, is that still a problem? Thanks.

My 996 and the 520 are not Macrovision free. However, I do have an Apex which is Macrovision free but has the poor PAL --> NTSC conversions we all know about. I also have a Go Video VCR and an old Magnovox (11 years old or so) that defeat Macrovision from that end.

The Malata does the PAL to NTSC conversion with no distortion. All aspect ratios, whether or not anamorphic, are done correctly.

I purchased the 996 so I could get OAR versions of films from any region when Region 1 did not have them. Also, to get some films which aren't out in Region 1 at all. I didn't get it for anime or Hong Kong stuff as I don't care for it. Mostly just to get standard English language films not available or not done right in Region 1 (although I would get Brotherhood of the Wolf from France,
except that it doesn't have English subtitles).

Examples:

Paris, Texas
Charly
The Final Countdown
All That Jazz
The Last Seduction
The Sting
The Karate Kid
Anatomy of a Murder
The Delta Force
Moonstruck
more I can't think of right now

jhansla 06-07-02 12:38 PM

just had a search around the net and foundthis
Don't know whether its any good but it sounds like its just what ur looking for cause its in your price range and it has the converter built in

movielib 06-07-02 04:26 PM

Originally posted by jhansla
just had a search around the net and foundthis
Don't know whether its any good but it sounds like its just what ur looking for cause its in your price range and it has the converter built in

I'd make damn sure it did the PAL to NTSC conversion properly before I bought it.

It says it replaces Apex, Raite, Daewoo and Pioneer. I notice it doesn't say that it replaces Malata!

livewiretoo 06-08-02 02:28 AM

www.nerd-out.com also has a rundown on the Malatas

nekobus 06-09-02 09:57 PM

Originally posted by movielib

I'd make damn sure it did the PAL to NTSC conversion properly before I bought it.

It doesn't. It has the same problems the other cheap Chinese players do with PAL->NTSC conversion.

nodeerforamonth 06-10-02 05:19 PM

I bought a Daewoo 5800 a couple months ago. I like it. Every once in awhile, if there is sudden movement after not much movement on the screen, I see a little bit of unnatural movement. Not a trail or anything like that, but a jerkyness. I am guessing this is because the PAL to NTSC may have to do more processing when there is more or sudden movement on the screen.

But, I watched 5 hours of the Family Guy yesterday and it didn't really bother me. I only use the Daewoo to watch UK DVDs that are full screen (Futurama, Family Guy, ECW PPVs) and besides the little minor "weirdness" mentioned above, I love it!