International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Stephen Chow's next one

Old 05-31-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stephen Chow's next one

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ong_chiau_dc_1

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Stephen Chiau, actor and director of Asian blockbuster "Shaolin Soccer," is planning an even bigger-scale action comedy for the international market.

"I'll write and direct another film. It will be related to action. A story that happened in Hong Kong in the 1940s, 1950s," Chiau, who has been dubbed as Hong Kong's answer to Hollywood's rubber-faced Jim Carrey, told Reuters in a recent interview.

He said a script was in the works for the production but gave few other details other than to say that he intended to take one of the roles.
Old 05-31-02, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that's cool - at least he's doing another film... I wish he'd do like 4 or 5 movies a year like most actors in HK. I can't get enough Stephen Chow.
Old 06-01-02, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool... He used to do a lot of films in the past. I wonder why he does so few now.
Old 06-01-02, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by khieng
Cool... He used to do a lot of films in the past. I wonder why he does so few now.
Probably because he has made enough money now, where he doesn't have to make 3 or 4 movies a year. He can just do projects now that he is really into and have a some sort of message he supports, instead of doing films just for money.
Old 06-01-02, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel

Probably because he has made enough money now, where he doesn't have to make 3 or 4 movies a year. He can just do projects now that he is really into and have a some sort of message he supports, instead of doing films just for money.
In HK that's called "lazy"... even big stars over there do more than a few movies a year - hell, big stars here will do like 3 or 4 in a year. I don't know why he's not doing more movies... I wanna see more. Perhaps he's a primadonna and wants total control of his pictures like writing and starring and producing and he probably tells the director what to do so he is too busy working on just the one film with so many jobs. Or maybe he's just busy writing scripts. Or maybe he's just busy at massage parlors or hanging around with club girls living like a rock star.
Old 06-01-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He's co-written and directed his last couple of features, which is more work than just starring in a film. Also, I think he started his own production company to finance the films. Not to mention that Shaolin Soccer had a very big budget for a HK film with intensive FX, all of which take longer.

Sure, Stephen Chow could choose to simply just star in a film like other HK stars, and produce 3-4 films a year of varying quality. Instead he's chosen to make the movies he wants to make, and has been better for it. Is it any wonder that the films he co-wrote and directed (Shaolin Soccer, God of Cookery, King of Comedy, From Bejing with Love) are considered some of his best?
Old 06-01-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not gonna argue with that. I know he's busy wearing so many hats, I just want to see more of him. I'm greedy. Whine whine whine...
Old 06-01-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I'm not gonna argue with that. I know he's busy wearing so many hats, I just want to see more of him. I'm greedy. Whine whine whine...
I agree. I want to see more too! I would also like to see him in a movie with a theatrical release in the states. But I guess that's hoping too much.