Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What international movies did you watch over the weekend?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-20-02, 09:10 AM

Quite a few for me:

-Chinese Odyssey 2002
-The Quiet Family
-Mr Wai-Go
-Color Of Pain (DTS)
-Sino-Dutch War 1661

My reviews for: Quiet Family,Mr.Wai-Go,Color Of Pain,Chinese Odyssey2002
Best of the bunch would be Quiet Family & Mr. Wai-Go...
Look for reviews to be up soon...

Also watched, but in R1:
-Operation Condor 2 (Armor of the Gods)
-Ninja Scroll

Cheers,
Gabe

Last edited by gabegarwick; 05-24-02 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-20-02, 09:18 AM

theaters fr me

I saw Monsoon Weding as i was out of town all weekend, the flick really wasnt too good, it tried to tackle too many stories in not enough time, or the time wasnt divided up well enough for each story. I also got the impression they were really trying to cater to too many audiences, if htere are any Indian people on this board that have seen it also i would really like your opinion on the way your culture was represented. thanks
Old 05-20-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

VIDOCQ - I really enjoyed this. Kind of a mind trip, but a good story and visually stunning. The DTS rocked!!!
Old 05-20-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Son's Room- Excellent
Vidocq - Not very good. Yes I watched it on R3 on full screen, but the action made it look ridiculous. The way it was shot and the colours made it look unrealistic.
The Bicycle Thief - A classic that everyone should watch.
Old 05-20-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Cirque du Soleil's Quidam this weekend live. Have yet to view the DVD I got of it though. If you have the opportunity, see it live - the show is amazing.
Old 05-20-02, 12:47 PM

MUSA ,JSA ,Hitman, Game of Death
Old 05-20-02, 12:57 PM

Cure
Fireworks
Throne of Blood
Old 05-20-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Battle Royale with some friends
Old 05-20-02, 03:50 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched:
Funny Games by Haneke (sp?). It was on IFC.

And, most of Metropolis on DVD.
Old 05-20-02, 04:23 PM

Grandma and Her Ghosts - kids animation from TW, Law Lan on the Cantonese track voicing grandma, recommended. Lots of ghosts and sprits on the loose. Very cute, big demon battle at the end. Sort of like a Miyazaki (Totoro) film.

Seventeen Years (vcd) - d.Zhang Yuan, drama from "sixth generation" mainland director, recommended, Li Bingbing's a cutie, even in uniform. Story: sister kills stepsister, 17 years later she gets a weekend pass to go home for New Year's.

Crazy English , also vcd, also d. Zhang Yuan - documentary about Li Yang's attempt to teach English all over China. He's kind of like a Tony Robbins type guy. Okay film, wears thin after awhile.

Ghostly Vixen another vcd - Amy Yip, 'nuff said? Actually, very good, mix of wizards, Wong Jing comedy (anal rape and a four foot woodie) and Amy Yip.

Last edited by dleedlee; 05-20-02 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-20-02, 06:36 PM

Amélie

Amélie from Montmartre (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie poulain, original french title) by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

The original Z2 DVD collector edition for france is a masterpiece.
It's a two disc set with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 version.

http://amazon.fr
Old 05-21-02, 03:40 AM

No Man's Land

Interesting movie reviewed here.
Not quite an action blockbuster, but the interaction between a Serb and a Bosnian stuck in a trench was interesting nevertheless, especially the portrayal of the UN Peacekeepers in the conflict. With the exception of an act of one peacekeeper, the military portrayal seemed to be realistic, e.g., reporting what's happening to higher ups, the lack of volunteers for a mission, the ostracism of newbies . . . .

I guess that with all the international awards, including Cannes, on the dvd jacket, I shouldn't have expected an action blockbuster thriller.
Old 05-21-02, 09:10 AM
Banned

out of ***** :

(tv):

Cure ** - so derivative of American slasher-pop. Stylishly atmospheric with paper thin characters. As slight B-horror with pretentions it's ok fun.

(dvd):

Aar Paar **** - entertaining classic Bollywood romance crime thriller mostly notable for the amazing songs... especially Bubuji Dheere Chalna, a favorite
Old 05-21-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Amélie

Originally posted by Up and Down
Amélie from Montmartre (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie poulain, original french title) by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

The original Z2 DVD collector edition for france is a masterpiece.
It's a two disc set with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 version.
No Anglais subtitles though.
Old 05-21-02, 10:18 AM

Shower - for some reason, I thought this was directed by Zhang Yimou. It's a good movie.

My Life As McDull - WOW! Loved this fun little movie!
Especially loved the "trip to the Maldives" sequence, as it reminded of my visit to Hong Kong.

J.T.
Old 05-21-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not this weekend, but I watched La Haine yesterday. I really liked this movie. Vincent Cassel was great.

I'd have to say, after Crimson Rivers and this film, I really like this director (Mathieu Kassovitz).

Has anyone seen Assassin(s) and know if it will be coming to DVD anytime soon with English subtitles?
Old 05-21-02, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by roseart
Not this weekend, but I watched La Haine yesterday. I really liked this movie. Vincent Cassel was great.
Whatcha got? The R2?

Cheers,
Gabe
Old 05-21-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gabegarwick

Whatcha got? The R2?
Yep, got it from Amazon.fr along with VIDOCQ. It's a pretty packed disc, with documentaries, and a heap of extras. Didn't have a chance to check them out though, so I don't know if they’re subbed or not. I will check tonight. There is a commentary too, but I really doubt it is subtitled.

Edit... Oh yeah, the sound and picture were great. It's B&W, and very crisp looking.
Old 05-21-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Busy weekend. Only watched one DVD..

Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 (Zombi 3).

Great Zombie movie. Same feeling as Woodoo (Zombi 2 / Zombie / Zombie Flesh Eaters) except for these zombies are agile, fast and smart.
Old 05-21-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a pretty packed disc, with documentaries, and a heap of extras. Didn't have a chance to check them out though, so I don't know if they’re subbed or not. I will check tonight. There is a commentary too, but I really doubt it is subtitled.
Thinking about learning French, and moving to France. They know how to put out DVDs.

La Haine's extras have no subtitles:

- 2 Making of's
- Short Film
- International Posters
- Commentary
- Color Contrast

Other cases in point:

- Amelie (Commentary that's missing in the R1)
- Brotherhood of the Wolf (3 disc)
- Dobermann (2 disc)

and many more loaded DVDs. Why God WHY!!!!

Another note on La Haine, and the Color Contrast. The movie was filmed in color, then made into B&W, to give it a really crisp look to it. Very cool... The short was even in DD5.1....
Old 05-23-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone seen Assassin(s) and know if it will be coming to DVD anytime soon with English subtitles?
Does anyone know? I don't want to start another thread for it, but wonder if anyone knew if there was a DVD version of this film with English subtitles, or if there are any plans for one?

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-23-02, 09:04 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know? I don't want to start another thread for it, but wonder if anyone knew if there was a DVD version of this film with English subtitles, or if there are any plans for one?

Thanks in advance...
Dunno... Maybe we should call for Hendrik? (I've heard if you say his name 3 times he will appear..)

-sigh, been a busy week for me, reviews of the movies I watched last weekend will be up this weekend.
Cheers,
Gabe
Old 05-24-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gabegarwick

Dunno... Maybe we should call for Hendrik? (I've heard if you say his name 3 times he will appear..)
"Hendrik, Hendrik, Hendrik"

On another note, gabegarwick, I like that you started this thread. Maybe we could do it every week. It gives a chance for some of us that don't post lengthy reviews, to post our opinions about movies we have just watched. There were allot of good posts, and I am interested to here what people have to say.

Tuesday should be a good day after the holiday weekend. I'm sure lots of movies will be watched.

I have 21 movies now to watch, and no time to watch them. Maybe this weekend I can knock a few down. I was going to watch Public Enemy last night, until I saw it was 138min.
Old 05-24-02, 10:41 AM

Just watched the Hong Kong movie July Rhapsody last night:

The recent DVDs of new Hong Kong movies as been great!
If this is what we are to expect coming out of HK Cinema, we are in for a treat!

Chinese Odyssey, Love Undercover, My Life As McDull, and now July Rhapsody. Hopefully the trend will continue...

July Rhapsody is a drama. Slow, and very understated, along the lines of an art film, but not Wong Kar-Wai art. More a general drama art.... if you know what I mean.
Very well written story, and excellent dialogue. Watch this movie without reading about the story, and you will be surprised. This is also why I will not write a synopsis (unless there is a request for one)

Universe DVD:
DVD-5 (this could have used DVD-9 for better image detail)
runtime: 103 mins
All region
1.85:1 Letterbox (boo, hiss)
Universe needs to follow Mei Ah's lead and start releasing all new movies in Anamorphic mode!

Image is very nice, but not perfect. It is somewhat grainy, and may not hold up well on a very large projection displays.
There are some instances of tiny scratches appearing throughout the runtime of the movie, but not too distracting.
Good details and shadow details.

DD5.1 audio is very good, filling the ambiance with music.

Subtitles are excellent. They translate the dialogue into English very well, which unfortunately leaves out the Chinese slangs being spoken.
example:
Anita: pulling a buffalo up a tree
Subtitles: It's slow
Chinese have a neat way to express themselves, which most of the time, cannot be literally translated into English. But still, the viewer will appreciate what is being meant, even though half the enjoyment of the movie is hearing the spoken dialogue.

Anita Mui, Jackey Cheung and Karena Lam are excellent in their roles. Again, very understated. Even the supporting actors do an excellent job. Ann Hui really shows that she is one of Hong Kong's premiere directors.
Karen Lam is definitely someone to watch out for in the future!

Star Files includes info on the main cast and producers in Chinese. For some strange reason, only Anita and Jacky's profile are available in English... go figure!

Included on the DVD are trailers for July Phapsody, Inner Sense and Tiramisu.
Inner Sense looks like a very good ghost thriller, with Leslie Cheung and Karena Lam in the lead roles.
Karena also stars in Tiramisu, along with pretty boy Nicholas Tze. This looks like a movie about dancers...
Interesting to see trailers for HK movies that are not out on DVD yet!
July Rhapsody and Inner Sense are both Filmko Pictures productions. It's a good start for sure....

I don't know if there is much replay value for this movie, but it's definitely worth watching. The superb acting really makes this movie very enjoyable.

ratings:
Movie: 8/10
DVD: 7.5/10 - source print could have been cleaner, not 16:9 enhanced, very good audio, excellent subtitles

J.T.