International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Need some help on a purchase from China...

Old 05-15-02, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need some help on a purchase from China...

I have the opportunity to purchase one of the new Malata's replacing the 996. I can purchase it directly from Malata in China. This is the way it's supposed to go down:

- I transfer the funds to their bank account.
- They ship me the unit via DHL (or UPS).

I have all the information (i.e. bank account number, bank name, etc.) Everything appears on the up-and-up. My question is whether or not there would be any problem with transfering the funds to a mainland Chinese bank and receiving the unit here in the U.S.? Would there be any import fees or any problems from customs?

I know that now that Hong Kong is again part of China that a lot of people here are "doing business" with the Chinese, but I just wondered if there are any legal issues that anyone here might have dealt with and how are banks about transfering funds to China?
Old 05-15-02, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've done this type of transaction a few times with DDDHouse and every time it went off without a hitch. As long as the seller is legit, you shouldn't have any troubles.
Old 05-15-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Need some help on a purchase from China...

Originally posted by dablueguy
I have the opportunity to purchase one of the new Malata's replacing the 996
You talking about the DVP-520, right? If so, let us know how it is when you get it.

And, like Trigger said, I have done the same with DDDHouse, and no problems..
Old 05-15-02, 10:17 AM

I can't vouch for bank-wires to China. I have only done them to Japan... Check with your bank... Mine socked me $35 in various fees just to do the bank wire... ouch! I asked about it, they said their flat fee for international wire was $35...

Cheers,
Gabe
Old 05-15-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what are the total costs? (Unit and Shipping).

Wiring will probably run you around $25-40 depending on your bank. Western Union is another option, costs are variable depending on the amount to be wired.
Old 05-15-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bank of America only charged me $10 for the wire one time and another time they waived the fee alltogether. Go to your own bank and ask nicely if they can waive the fee.
Old 05-16-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the tips. The total cost of the unit (DVP-520) is $95.

I know....how? I found a link to a place advertising it and that page had a link to request a sample unit. Probably meant for retailers and those who would review it for a magazine/on-line website but I figured 'what the heck' and filled out the form. I created an e-mail address especially for correspondece with them and got a reply from a Malata employee informing me that they would ship me a DVP-520 (English language model, region-free) for $95.

It's a little dishonest I know, but it seems to me that this price probably reflects Malata's cost+shipping. And I'll be glad to give it good word of mouth if the player is as good as the last model seemed to be. For the price I can't go wrong.
Old 05-16-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dishonest my arse... You go boy!!!!
Old 05-17-02, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks! My bank charges $30! Oh well I'm still going to do it.
Old 05-17-02, 07:03 AM
Cool New Member

UPS or DHL is damn expensive in China...
Probably, the shipping cost for the dvd player is more than $50...
Old 05-18-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny that you should mention that. I have now found out that I would have to pay the shipping upon delivery. This kind of puts it out of my reach at the moment so if anyone else is interested in taking over this delivery, e-mail me and I will give you all the information. I filled out the form initially, but he said he would need me to give it all to him again so really anyone could take over and just say they are contacting him from their private e-mail address. Any takers?