DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Man Bites Dog on DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/207730-man-bites-dog-dvd.html)

roseart 05-14-02 10:06 PM

Man Bites Dog on DVD?

I bought an R4 PAL version of Man Bites Dog DVD, that was made by NEWVISION. It states on the back that it is 95mins, but actually runs about 92mins.

The only other version I see on DVD, is and R2 PAL by TARTAN VIDEO, and it runs 92mins.

IMDB states that the original cut was 95mins, and the US edited version was 92mins. Was this ever released in the US? I didn't think this would ever make it over here.

My question is, is the version I have cut, or is it the PAL conversion that is causing the 3min difference?

Thanks in advance. ;)

Dan Average 05-14-02 10:18 PM

Re: Man Bites Dog on DVD?

Originally posted by roseart
I bought an R4 PAL version of Man Bites Dog DVD, that was made by NEWVISION. It states on the back that it is 95mins, but actually runs about 92mins.

The only other version I see on DVD, is and R2 PAL by TARTAN VIDEO, and it runs 92mins.

IMDB states that the original cut was 95mins, and the US edited version was 92mins. Was this ever released in the US? I didn't think this would ever make it over here.

My question is, is the version I have cut, or is it the PAL conversion that is causing the 3min difference?

Thanks in advance. ;)

It's probably the PAL speedup. To be sure, check the IMDb's <A HREF="http://akas.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0103905">section</A> on alternate versions of the film. If your DVD has the scenes deleted from the 92-minute U.S. unrated cut then you probably have the original cut.

And yes, it was indeed released in the U.S. IIRC the theatrical release (by Roxie) was uncut and carried an NC-17 rating. There are two different versions available on VHS: a severely cut R-rated version and an edited unrated version that runs 92 minutes. I have no idea why the original cut is not available on VHS here. Criterion released the unedited NC-17 cut on laserdisc and said they would be releasing it on DVD in a HTF chat awhile back. I haven't heard anything about it since but the recent Criterion/Wellspring deal confirms that it is at least a possibility (since Fox Lorber owns the U.S. rights).

roseart 05-15-02 06:59 AM

Re: Re: Man Bites Dog on DVD?

Originally posted by Dan Average

It's probably the PAL speedup. To be sure, check the IMDb's <A HREF="http://akas.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0103905">section</A> on alternate versions of the film. If your DVD has the scenes deleted from the 92-minute U.S. unrated cut then you probably have the original cut.

DOH!!! I forgot to look there. Thanks:)

What is wierd, is that the version I watched last night, di have the kid scene, but I didn't see the rape scene? I had read about the rape scene, and that is what prompted this thread.

Anyone know if there is a website that compares the R4 & the R2? Or just reviews any of the DVDs that are released?

Giles 05-16-02 09:08 AM

From what I have read the R2 British release is the most complete version of the film. My fingers are crossed that Criterion releases this on DVD this year.

nekobus 05-16-02 09:40 AM

I saw the R2 PAL and it was a complete version with all the deleted scenes decribed at IMDB.

roseart 05-16-02 11:14 AM

My R4 version has burnt in English subtitles. Is the R2 this way too?

Dan Average 05-18-02 10:51 PM

Originally posted by roseart
My R4 version has burnt in English subtitles. Is the R2 this way too?
The vast majority of Tartan releases have burnt-in subtitles, and I'm fairly sure that's true of Man Bites Dog was well. Hopefully somebody else can confirm, though.

Up and Down 05-20-02 05:30 PM

R2 original DVD

There is only one TRUE version of "Man bites dog" (original frenc title "c'est arrivé près de chez vous", it's arrived closed to your door), it's the Z2 PAL version of 92 min.
you can buy it at amazon.fr (french title)

"eh gamin ! reviens ! c'est pour rire gamin ..." (Benoit poolvoorde in Man Bites Dog)

roseart 05-21-02 08:56 AM

Re: R2 original DVD

Originally posted by Up and Down
There is only one TRUE version of "Man bites dog" (original frenc title "c'est arrivé près de chez vous", it's arrived closed to your door), it's the Z2 PAL version of 92 min.

"eh gamin ! reviens ! c'est pour rire gamin ..." (Benoit poolvoorde in Man Bites Dog)

No English subtitles:(

Dan Average 05-22-02 09:13 PM

Re: R2 original DVD

Originally posted by Up and Down

What do you mean, the "one TRUE version"? The UK edition is also uncut.

Up and Down 05-27-02 03:33 PM

I probably should say :

Not rated in europe (not only in france)

I mean by "ONLY ONE TRUE VERSION", the complete version, the original vision of Benoit, no additional cut.

I was not aware about the UK version, sorry about that.

I also know there is a complete version in Japan. (Z2 NTSC)

sakusub 05-30-02 04:58 AM

I have an NC-17 version of it on VHS that (according to the back of the case) runs 96 minutes. Do I have the full uncut version?

Giles 05-30-02 07:24 AM

no, the version submitted to the MPAA (that got the NC-17 rating) had the rape sequence and the murder of the child already trimmed. The only time in the US when the full uncut version released was when Criterion released the laserdisc version that had the complete European cut of the film on it.

The Bus 06-01-02 06:52 PM

Re: Re: Man Bites Dog on DVD?

Originally posted by Dan Average

Criterion released the unedited NC-17 cut on laserdisc and said they would be releasing it on DVD in a HTF chat awhile back. I haven't heard anything about it since but the recent Criterion/Wellspring deal confirms that it is at least a possibility (since Fox Lorber owns the U.S. rights).

:up: :up:

Cheers! :beer:

I've been waiting to see this movie for a long long time --- I wanted to see it theatrically but I was like 14 and looked no older than 9 so that wasn't gonna happen.

Maur0 06-02-02 12:37 AM

Hi,

Anyone knows where to get the japanese version?

thanks
mauro

Dan Average 06-03-02 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Giles
no, the version submitted to the MPAA (that got the NC-17 rating) had the rape sequence and the murder of the child already trimmed.
Well, the Criterion LD jacket says twice that the disc contains the NC-17 version of the film. It also says, however, that the theatrical release was cut (contrary to my original post).

So there are three possibilties: a) two versions of the film were submitted to the MPAA and both got an NC-17 (which I somehow doubt, especially since there's a third R-rated version on VHS and I can't see the MPAA rating the same film three times); b) the distributor submitted the uncut version to the MPAA, got an NC-17, then decided to cut it after the fact; or c) the LD packaging is mistaken.

Giles 06-04-02 03:41 PM

I should stop posting comments in regard to this film since I am starting to contradict to myself, but there seems to be some serious misinformation about the actual release of the complete 95min/55 second version of the film. So, yes anyone who has the 96 unrated VHS version has the most complete cut of the film. IMDB's information about the Criterion laserdisc version seems to be either the 92 min. NC-17 minute cut or is indeed mislabeled. Oh well.... sorry.