DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   DVD Player purchased in Korea (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/207664-dvd-player-purchased-korea.html)

duane 05-14-02 05:59 PM

DVD Player purchased in Korea

I purchased a Sony DVD player in Seoul. It has been rendered code-free, after market. It also has a 220v plug. When I return to North America in the fall, I plan to take the player with me. My questions are these: Is there any way to have the "power" changed to 110v or must I use an external converter box to do so? and, Will I have any trouble in connecting the player to a North American television (ie., picture, etc.).

Thanks,

Duane

Yellow Hammer 05-14-02 11:16 PM

assuming that the player can play anything from 100~240v, to downstep in North America is easy. You can either spend $1 to buy a new plug, strip off the Korean one, and wire up the new one if you're so inclined (pretty easy) or spend $5 and buy an adapter plug such as the one made by Franzus that will convert anything to North American standards (even easier since it's just a plug).

Having it play on a North American TV is an entirely different problem. Can the player do NTSC or dual output (NTSC and PAL)? If not, you're basically SOL unless you buy a PAL-to-NTSC signal converter. Lowest I've seen for a signal converter is around $100US, though most of them run between $140-200.

young 05-14-02 11:34 PM

isn't korea NTSC?

duane 05-15-02 02:53 AM

Dear All:

Thanks for your help. I checked the manual and the player can play both NTSC and PAL. The voltage shouldn't be a problem either. Again, thanks very much.

Duane

koy50 05-15-02 05:46 AM

Korean TV/Video Format !!!

Korean TV format is absolutely NTSC, Unless you stay in North Korea. But I think Main problem is Voltage. Recently most of eletronic devices can use only in 220V in Korea. So you must check that voltage problem. May be you can easily check that viewing back side of you dvdplayer, I think.

gopeglegs! 05-15-02 10:46 AM

Doode!

Please tell us how the dvd player is playing PAL dvds on your NTSC TV!

young 05-15-02 11:25 AM

Originally posted by gopeglegs!
Doode!

are you asking about that specific model? i have 2 multiregional players that play PAL fine on my NTSC tv... it auto-switches.

duane 05-15-02 06:41 PM

Doode!

Hey doode:

As with Young's players (see his post above), my player switches automatically between PAL and NTSC. I didn't realize this when I posted my questions the other day but after reviewing the manual (usually I read the manual pretty thoroughly but hadn't done so this time around) I see my player has this function.

Duane

gopeglegs! 05-16-02 01:07 AM

Originally posted by young

are you asking about that specific model? i have 2 multiregional players that play PAL fine on my NTSC tv... it auto-switches.

Do you have something other than the Malata? Does it have the X-Y scaling feature that's in the Malata? Do you find that you really need that feature?

Thanks.