International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

How are American Movies from Asian Online Stores???

Old 05-12-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How are American Movies from Asian Online Stores???

I wanted to pick up Requiem for a Dream from DvdShelf. I was wondering how are the American movies from asian online stores???
Old 05-12-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mixed bag really... sometimes they are in fullscreen. They are often Region 3. They typically have removable chinese subtitles. They are cheaper. They often are released before the US DVD is released. The transfers aren't always as good as the US DVDs. In fact, they are quite often not as good. I have had a few and I've found that it's just better to wait for the US release. If it's a film I kinda like or am unsure and don't want to pay $20 for the US DVD versus 7 bucks for the HK DVD, I'll go with the cheaper one. I've had to repurchase some DVDs because I like the film and want a better transfer. The Others is a good example - the transfer was decent, but the colors were off and it was oversaturated. It's watchable and all, but the US DVDs are going to be better if you have the money.
Old 05-12-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks!
Old 05-12-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're welcome.