International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Jeepers Creepers Deluxe Box - Hong Kong?

Old 05-12-02, 02:48 AM

Jeepers Creepers Deluxe Box - Hong Kong?

I picked up a copy of Jeepers Creepers today used from a local retailer that was completely different than the normal North American versions of the dvd. It came in a slipcase and inside the dvd was housed in a gatefold sleeve with chinese lettering and English all over the packaging. There was no mention of it being from Hong Kong or wherever but it seemed the slipcover was a kinda cheap copy of the original dvd cover. The disc was only 1 sided while the North American one is double sided. The disc was also a picture disc and had the THX logo on the box and at the beginning of the movie.
Does anyone know where this dvd is from and is the quality of the disc the same as the North american one? Love the packaging but I'm not sure whether to keep it just because of that or get the regular version awailable everywhere in my area.
Old 05-12-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like it might be a bootleg. I know there was a HK release of this, but I don't know if it came in a slipcase. The HK DVD was released by WideSight and has the DTS logo on the cover. You can see it for comparison at dddhouse.com. It's also like 8 or 9 bucks there. Anyway - if it doesn't say Widesight on it, then it's probably a bootleg. Unless you're unsure about the writing - if it might be Korean or Japanese writing, then I don't know... if it's Korean, then it would be a Region 3 disc most likely and if it's a Japanese release it would have cost you a small fortune to purchase.
Old 05-12-02, 02:35 PM

Bootleg

These digipack style releases are bootlegs. You can differentiate them via the "DVD-9" logo and the yellow triangular sticker in the upper left corner. Some look very convincing and professional, but occasionally they slip up and paste the wrong movie's info on the back (IE: Their Musa bootleg has a description for Lethal Weapon). This bootlegging outfit basically rips off a wide variety of releases, from Pal to NTSC, typically R1, R2, and R3 releases which they bootleg as R0.
Old 05-12-02, 03:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

Now the matter seems to be clarified, I think it is safe to close this one.

Benedict
Old 05-12-02, 08:46 PM

RE: Jeepers Creepers Deluxe Box - Hong Kong?

Just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my post re: the possible bootleg of Jeepers Creepers answered by both furious and Trigger. Furious, u are so right, what gave it away as a bootleg is the DVD-9 on the cover AND the proof of purchase says it's for the movie What's The worse that Can Happen?
Very cool packaging and why is it that the remastering and quality is literally on par with my regular dvd of Jeepers? Very strange.
Old 05-12-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're welcome - don't be insulted if your thread gets locked - forum policy here is to discourage any reference to bootleg material - this site occasionally gets some press here and there and since it's in the public eye, they have to have a no-tolerance policy on bootleg merchandise.
Old 05-13-02, 11:46 AM

No worries, thanks for the info.

Last edited by benedict; 05-13-02 at 02:50 PM.