International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Legend of Zu DVD comments & other stuff

Old 05-06-02, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Legend of Zu DVD comments & other stuff

I originally watched Legend of Zu on VCD which I ended up selling on half.com once the DVD arrived. I should've watched the DVD before shipping it off. Those of you who have seen the China Star DVD of Legend of Zu probably noticed the subtitle problem. Can't China Star put out a decent DVD? They always seem to almost get it right. Anyway - they omit a bunch of dialogue which only adds to the confusion of the film. The film itself is fairly confusing and watching it again only makes me wonder how American audiences are going to respond to it. My roommate liked it much to my surprise. The effects seem to work in the film and I think the audience will be visually dazzled, but unless Miramax (or whoever) gives it a dub and completely changes the storyline, nobody will get it. The second half of the film gives you some time to relax and figure out who people are and what's going on, but the first half of the film is somewhat of a frenetic jumble. I like it overall despite it being a pretty bad film.

Can I just say at this moment how entirely sick of Ekin Cheng I am? It's not that he's a bad actor or anything - he may or may not be, that's not what I'm talking about though... I'm just sick of seeing his face dammit. Was he in an accident which left his face paralysed? Is he unable to convey emotion through facial expressions?

I don't see Legend of Zu - er, I mean Zu Warriors - doing very well box office wise in the US. Jet Li's next film has a shot maybe at capturing some of that Crouching Tiger magic, but I don't think Zu will do much better than Iron Monkey did here.

We watched Expect a Miracle tonight and my girlfriend liked it. I thought it was a little too cheesey, but it managed to keep my attention. It was pretty far fetched, but not so bad you want to put your foot through the TV. It's basically the HK version of You've Got Mail - that Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan flick. This film is better than YGM, but not by much.
Old 05-06-02, 09:50 AM

Visually, it's a stunning movie, but the screenwriters forgot to write any sort of film with characterization. The DVD features a great extremely aggressive DTS track. I agree, the lack of some dialogue not being subtitled is annoying. The quality of the trailer of "Zu Warriors" looks really washed out compared to the print used for the import HK disc. I have decided for this Halloween I am going as Red.
Old 05-06-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giles
I have decided for this Halloween I am going as Red.
Good Red or Evil Red?
Old 05-06-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Legend of Poo would have been a more appropriate title.
Old 05-06-02, 05:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

Oh no....

Old 05-06-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Oh no....

Originally posted by benedict
Old 05-06-02, 07:56 PM

Good Red
Old 05-06-02, 10:44 PM

I'm pretty sick of Ekin too. I'm not a big fan of his singing either. Who writes the crap he sings anyway?
Old 05-07-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want to make more fun of Ekin, you should hear him in the ROOT 2 Making Of... Not sure why he has to speak in Mandarin, but let's just say that he should have stuck with Cantonese...
Old 05-07-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
If you want to make more fun of Ekin, you should hear him in the ROOT 2 Making Of... Not sure why he has to speak in Mandarin, but let's just say that he should have stuck with Cantonese...
Oh no...
Old 05-07-02, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
First thing I put on when my neighbour asked to watch ROOT2
But I still like his films.
Old 07-08-02, 06:20 AM

I hated it at first but after watching numerous times its a grower, theres something spiritual about it beyond the special effects in a way bladerunner was.