International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Angel Season 2 Question

Old 05-02-02, 02:47 AM

Angel Season 2 Question

I imported Angel Season 2 from the UK. My problem is it is not playing in widescreen. I have the UK set and it states widescreen on the box, but its not playing in WS. I am using a Sampo 611 and the disks are playing without any problems, but I want widescreen!!!! This is the only import WS dvd that I own so I can't test any others. Maybe it has something to do with the PAL conversion, I really have no idea. Any help is greatly appreiciated.
Old 05-02-02, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what kind of TV do you have?
Old 05-02-02, 04:28 AM

I have a Pioneer 55" rear projection set. It is not a widescreen model though.

Last edited by whontime; 05-02-02 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-02-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All the Apexes, Sampos, Daewoos, and other cheap players do NOT convert PAL signals properly. This is because the players use the anamorphic downcoversion algorithm to downconvert the PAL signal. They remove every 4th line from the image instead of every 6th line as is necessary. Thus a PAL 576 line image converts to 432 lines instead of the 480 lines necessary for proper conversion. This is most noticeable on Full-Frame PAL images, which have tiny black bars on the top and bottom of the screen instead of filling it out. All non-anamorphic images will appear 10% shorter than they should, as well as anamorphic images on a 16x9 screen. How noticeable this is depends on how discerning you are.

Also, since the PAL image already went through the anamorphic downconversion, it doesn't downconvert again and the image is still at 432 lines, versus the correct 360 lines for a downcoverted NTSC image. Thus the image is stretched to about 20% taller than it should be. A 1.85:1 movie will appear almost full-frame, while a 2.35:1 movie like Brotherhood of the Wolf will appear to be about 1.95:1. Angel, which is 1.78:1, will appear to be full-frame as well.

The Malata has a Mediamatics chip, which because of it's advanced scaling capabilities is able to downcovert the image properly. All players with the same chip should be able to do the same. However, the Malata comes up often because of it's ease of changing regions, which is a major selling point if your looking at PAL movies, which are most likely in a different region.
Old 05-02-02, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the explanation.