International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

BFI's Throne of Blood: Yea or Neigh ?

Old 04-30-02, 10:02 PM

BFI's Throne of Blood: Yea or Neigh ?

I've been considering picking up a copy of Throne of Blood that the BFI put out & I'm wondering is it worth it ?
Old 04-30-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah!

I've got it and from what I've watched it's a very good transfer. I saw the Criterion LD version and this DVD blew it away... Only thing I think the Subs are burned in. Criterion is probably coming out with their's at the end of the year or begining of 2003. So if you can wait, I do so. Then again if you're like me I got the BFI and I'll sell it on Ebay when I hear the Criterion release date.
Old 04-30-02, 10:45 PM

Hey Heliosphann I see you have Kurosawa's Stray Dog. How is the quality on that? I've been thinking about picking it up since there is no news of a US release yet.
Old 05-01-02, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ScreachW... I actually haven't watched this yet. Just got it a few weeks ago. I'll try to get around to it soon. I'll have more time since school's out now.
Old 05-01-02, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-07-02, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone else have an opinion on these BFI titles?
Old 08-09-02, 06:12 AM

I have most of the BFI Kurosawa DVDs. The Stray Dog is probably as good as we'll ever see, unless someone dreams up the technology to remove the inevitable scratches etc. It's watchable but obviously not to be compared with the print of a new movie (or an improved Vertigo !). The Throne of Blood print is much better but if you can wait I'd hang on for the Criterion. Their Rashomon is a much better print than the BFI's so the expectation is that the other releases will be as well.

The main bugbear I have with these DVDs is that they don't look good on a widescreen set - the shape of the picture is 4:3 so you really need to watch them on a set that size, not a 16:9 set.