DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   The City of Lost Souls???? (Takashi Miike) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/204026-city-lost-souls-takashi-miike.html)

roseart 04-30-02 08:24 PM

The City of Lost Souls???? (Takashi Miike)

Please tell me there is another version of this. It is actually a nice DVD from Mei Ah, with DTS that sounds great. But like Trigger pointed out with another Mei Ah release Crash Landing, it's a flipper. :(

I really wasn't that impressed with Fudoh, but this movie ROCKS!!! There has to be a better release.. Anyone?

Thanks in advance ;)

roseart 04-30-02 08:42 PM

Ok, just answered my own question. City of Lost Souls is the International title. Hazard City is the Japanese title. There is a superiour R2 version, but no DTS.

Next qusetion, is there anywhere else to get it cheaper than CDJapan ($38.18)???

Trigger 04-30-02 09:15 PM

Originally posted by roseart
Ok, just answered my own question. City of Lost Souls is the International title. Hazard City is the Japanese title. There is a superiour R2 version, but no DTS.

Next qusetion, is there anywhere else to get it cheaper than CDJapan ($38.18)???

Not likely... maybe a few bucks cheaper, but Japan DVDs cost heaps of money. I'm not too crazy about Crash Landing being a flipper, but it's something I can tolerate. Hopefully Mei Ah will stop doing this... like I said though - change is good, but this is a transitional period for Mei Ah and I'm sure once the dust settles, their releases will all be great. We'll just have to endure a few spotty releases here and there I suspect. So let's have a proper review of this one. :)

Furious 04-30-02 11:50 PM

Originally posted by roseart

The HK DTS track doesn't even remotely begin to compare to the Japanese 5.1 track. Mei Ah hasn't done a DTS track worthy of the moniker...

roseart 05-01-02 06:37 AM

Originally posted by Furious

The HK DTS track doesn't even remotely begin to compare to the Japanese 5.1 track. Mei Ah hasn't done a DTS track worthy of the moniker...

This is what KFCCinema says too.. That's why I want the R2 release... Have to wait till I have a few more bucks to blow though....

roseart 05-01-02 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
So let's have a proper review of this one. :)
Ok, I am not good at reviews. Maybe one day I will be.. So, I will take the easy way out and say I agree with KFCCinema's Review on the film. :D

That review is actually why I tried it out....

gabegarwick 05-01-02 03:02 PM

Darn. Now I'm going to have to get this...and Visitor Q... and maybe something else...Stereo Future maybe... :D

sigh,
Gabe

roseart 05-01-02 05:38 PM

Originally posted by gabegarwick
Stereo Future maybe... :D
I was looking at getting Stereo Future too, after their review.

This damn Malata is costing so much more than the $300 I paid for it. :(

My wallet is lonely...

gabegarwick 05-01-02 06:03 PM

I haven't broken down and got a malata yet. I'm using a region free Aiwa. (so no PAL for me yet) :)

roseart 05-01-02 07:01 PM

I haven't broken down and got a malata yet. I'm using a region free Aiwa. (so no PAL for me yet) :)
STAY AWAY, DON'T DO IT!!!! ;) j/k

ScreachingWeasel 05-01-02 07:16 PM

Darn. Now I'm going to have to get this...and Visitor Q... and maybe something else...Stereo Future maybe... :D

sigh,
Gabe

Does the Japanese Visistor Q have Eng subs? I have Stereo Future and just want to say it has a very nice transfer. The movie is pretty fun. After reading KFC's review I was a little let down when I saw it, but It's still a reallly good movie. If you like the humor in Samurai Fiction you will probably like this as well.

Furious 05-01-02 08:17 PM

Visitor Q

No, the Japanese disc doesn't feature subtitles. You'd have to go for the German Pal disc, from Rapid Eye Movies if memory serves me correct. Beware the PAL bootleg that adrenafilm was flogging some time ago.

ScreachingWeasel 05-01-02 08:19 PM

Re: Visitor Q

No, the Japanese disc doesn't feature subtitles. You'd have to go for the German Pal disc, from Rapid Eye Movies if memory serves me correct. Beware the PAL bootleg that adrenafilm was flogging some time ago.

Yeah I bought the bootleg when it first came out, but plan to upgrade to the German release soon.

gabegarwick 05-02-02 08:42 AM

Re: Visitor Q

Doh! Thanks for pointing that out. I would have blindly ordered it. :)

{sigh} PAL? Okay... no Visitor Q then for now... :(

(Q adds another point in favor of the Malata) ;)

Cheers,
Gabe