Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Chinese Odyssey 2002

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Chinese Odyssey 2002

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-02, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chinese Odyssey 2002

Does anyone else have this yet? I just got mine today and I have to say i think this has the best transfer I have seen on a HK dvd. There was only a very very minor amount of specks every blue moon. The colors are very sharp with pretty solid blacks and I didn't really notice any grain either. The case is top notch as well the title on the front and spine is a shiny metallic gold. I think I'm going to write to Mei Ah and thank them for turning there total sh*t output into something people might want to own and not wish some other company had released it. Movie itself I give a 7 out of 10 pretty solid with some pretty funny moments. One more thing even the menus are anamorphic.

Last edited by ScreachingWeasel; 04-29-02 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-30-02, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I mentioned Mei Ah's quality having improved in a couple other threads... I own about 5 new Mei Ah releases that are all a cut above their older releases elevating them to the standards of DeltaMac or MegaStar. Plus, their prices are still quite low. They are still ironing out the bugs though as a few of their newer releases have problems... Second Time Around has a subtitle problem, but a beautiful transfer and great sound. Crash Landing is a great presentation, but it's a flipper... oops. Anyway - I'm really glad they raised the bar because that puts pressure on Universe and MegaStar to do the same... MegaStar especially since their discs are typically more expensive. I'll likely pick this one up at some point.
Old 04-30-02, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear the quality is good. Mine should arrive late this week or early next.

Cheers,
Gabe
Old 04-30-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The transfer is indeed beautiful. One of those movies in the tradition of the good ol days back when Stephen Chow was really hot back in the early 90s (he's not in the film).
Old 04-30-02, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
The transfer is indeed beautiful. One of those movies in the tradition of the good ol days back when Stephen Chow was really hot back in the early 90s (he's not in the film).

I was going to say something about this being a Chow-esqe movie. The start especially with the police and sketch artist. I don't speak Chinese at all, but it seemed like Tony Leung was kind of pulling a Chow every once and awhile. Kind of OT, but does anyone else think Vicky Zhao isn't very good looking?
Old 04-30-02, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel
Kind of OT, but does anyone else think Vicky Zhao isn't very good looking?
You're not the only one who thinks that!
Old 05-01-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well she does have the biggest set of, uh,

eyes I've ever seen on a Chinese girl...

she did win a poll on Muzi.net on the 'most beautiful girl from China' last year...
Old 05-01-02, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So is this movie like a remake of the Stephen Chow films or is it an extension or is it based in the same world or what? I remember asking about this when it first hit theaters and someone told me it wasn't anything like the Stephen Chow films - were they mistaken? Did I misread something?
Old 05-01-02, 09:58 AM

spoofs and tributes....

JET TONE i believe produced 2 other films besides WongKarWais'....

-FIRST LOVE: LITTER IN THE BREEZE
-CHINESE ODYESSEY 2002

Watch CO2002. See the references on previous WKW works, esp. CHUNGKING EXPRESS..... pop-culture poetry transported back in time.... its hilarious.

Sum TRIVIA for all of you: Anyone knows the deal with the AFRO?

Feel free to correct me....
Old 05-01-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's Chow-esque in the nonsensical sense, such as the modern introduction of things and events (traffic tickets, afros, driver license numbers, civil versus criminal cases, the big ear, the Matrix scenes, etc.) into a period film.

On the other hand, it's not really anything close to a Chow film such as Royal Tramp. There's no rapid fire delivery, not much 'olden' talk, (most of the language is modern Cantonese), very little wuxia (whatever wuxia there was was for comedic purposes), and very little in the way of sexual references.

I'd consider it more of a romantic comedy in a period setting.

Didn't really see much in the way of WKW influence in the film.
Old 05-01-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the other hand, it's not really anything close to a Chow film such as Royal Tramp. There's no rapid fire delivery, not much 'olden' talk, (most of the language is modern Cantonese), very little wuxia (whatever wuxia there was was for comedic purposes), and very little in the way of sexual references.
I meant how it related to Stephen Chow's Chinese Odyssey films. Was it based on the same story? Same world? Completely unrelated? Remake?
Old 05-01-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

I meant how it related to Stephen Chow's Chinese Odyssey films. Was it based on the same story? Same world? Completely unrelated? Remake?
No relation at all. Only relation is that Athena Chu is in both.
Old 05-01-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel
Kind of OT, but does anyone else think Vicky Zhao isn't very good looking?
Personally, I think she's incredibly gorgeous. But obviously, YMMV.

I'd certainly die a happy man with her.

-matt
Old 05-01-02, 06:31 PM

No relation at all. Only relation is that Athena Chu is in both.

When Zhao's character spoke some lines from the Monkey King were those from Chow's Chinese Odyssey films or something else all together?