Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Indian film recommendations? (Nehaflix?)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend sent me the link to this site (Nehaflix) because they have free shipping right now and asked me if i knew about it or could recommend some movies from there... and I don't know much about indian cinema at all, outside of a few satyajit ray films i've seen on VHS and at the smithsonian in DC this spring.

does anyone have A) experience with this retailer or have a better one to recommend or B) know of any particularly great indian films that you see listed? they all seem relatively cheap, but i don't want to get a crappy film for $10 :>

it seems like this forum is pretty predominantly HK with occasional excitement about french films or american films unavailable in the US that are in europe... but figured someone might know about indian films too.
Old 04-29-02, 01:51 AM

Indiaweekly.com has cheaper prices and a larger selection of titles, but the shipping can add up since it's $1.99 plus .99 for each DVD ordered.

Just beware that a lot of Indian DVDs do not have the greatest picture quality (certainly nowhere near as good as most U.S. DVD releases).

Almost all Bollywood movies run from 2 and a half hours to over 3 hours long, with at least six song and dance numbers. Some of these song and dance numbers are really cool and some are dull and boring.

Some films that are worth buying:

Gangster movies:
DON
COMPANY
SATYA

Thrillers:
AANKHEN (pricey but good)
AKS
DIL SE
GADAR (picture is severely cropped)
NAYAK (really wacky film with some incredible visuals)
RAAZ (remake of WHAT LIES BENEATH)
SARFAROSH

Romantic musicals (the most popular genre in Bollywood of late):
KABHI KHUSHI KABHIE GHAM
KUCH KUCH HOTA HAI
MOHABBATEIN
TAAL
RANGEELA

check out www.planetbollywood.com for reviews.
Old 04-29-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the recommendations.

i ordered don and satya for a total of $15 shipped. at that price there's not too much to worry about. they both said they're english subbed, so they should be watchable.

i found the studio names quite funny (i kept seeing "video sound" dvds with a banner across the top much like disney's "widescreen" that made it look like they were advertising that their movies had both video AND sound. but i think i'm just easily amused)
Old 04-29-02, 02:56 PM

Also check-out this site for reviews: http://zulm.net
Old 04-29-02, 11:14 PM

Nehaflix seems to ship pretty fast and seems good prices too, especially with free shipping.

Saw Aankhen (3 Disc Set) there today for just $18.99 shipped.

They seem to be pretty active on eBay also under ID of indiandvdshop and have very good feedback.

Mitr - The Friend :-)