International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Is it worth buying a multi-region player?

Old 04-26-02, 10:54 AM

Is it worth buying a multi-region player?

How many of you own multi-region players? What are some worthwhile discs available in other regions but not here. I am considering it because of Family Guy Season 1. What do you think?
Old 04-26-02, 11:17 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. Go into the International DVD section of this forum. A lot of your questions will be answered there.
Old 04-26-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking of picking one up so I can get Hercules and Xena seasons. There's a lot of stuff out in region 2 I'm not sure we'll see anytime soon in region 1. Someone mentioned a nice I'm thinking of getting from some Canadian sight for about $255 american. It's the Malata DVD-N996 which is sold out now at the site I'm looking at but will be replaced by a new model in May.

http://www.accountwizard.com/clients...nbtelectronics

Just search for region free dvd.

~Scheherazade
Old 04-26-02, 11:43 AM

Get a Daewoo at Sam's Club for $99. You can make it region-free by going a remote control trick found online and it converts PAL to NTSC too.

Makes for a great second DVD player!
Old 04-26-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, of all of the other reasons you will hear, the best is when someone ask to borrow that one special dvd that no one else have, you can smile and say OHHHHH I'M SORRY BUT IT CAN'T PLAY ON YOUR DVD.
Old 04-26-02, 02:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by roger_d
Well, of all of the other reasons you will hear, the best is when someone ask to borrow that one special dvd that no one else have, you can smile and say OHHHHH I'M SORRY BUT IT CAN'T PLAY ON YOUR DVD.
That's an excellent reason... if you take pleasure in acting superior to your friends.

Moving to International Forum.
Old 04-26-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

could someone please list the available players that don't require downloaded upgrades? I don't have a recordable drive yet and don't even have access to 1 at this time. I would still like to get another player. This player will mainly be used for titles like Family Guy and Futurama. I am looking for players that have remote hacks.
Old 04-26-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
Get a Daewoo at Sam's Club for $99. You can make it region-free by going a remote control trick found online and it converts PAL to NTSC too.

Makes for a great second DVD player!
Is there any particular model I should purchase, or will any player made by Daewoo work?
Old 04-26-02, 05:21 PM

Something to think about.
Check how the DVD player will convert
anamorphic PAL to NTSC.
My APEX 600A does a poor job, very out of shape.
Also, some people can clearly hear a pitch difference
on soundtracks when PAL is converted to NTSC.
PAL runs 4% faster than a NTSC system.
Apocalypse Now Redux NTSC 202 min.
Apocalypse Now Redux PAL 194 mn.
I can't hear the pitch diff.
Old 04-26-02, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by tacomantt

Is there any particular model I should purchase, or will any player made by Daewoo work?
I think Jadzia is referring to the Daewoo 5700, although apparently the new 5800 (which is supposedly replacing the 5700 at Sam's) allows you you use the same remote trick.

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17560

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18848
Old 04-26-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pick up a Norcent. I bought mine for 74.99 and it's all-region and PAL right out of the box. Although I went to Best Buy today and they didn't have them anymore.
Old 04-27-02, 01:31 AM

It's safe to say that a good all region player opens you up to a world of movies/TV that would otherwise be lost w/a R1 player.
The consensus here is the Malata,but it's being phased out.
Old 04-27-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by EBChamorro
Also, some people can clearly hear a pitch difference
on soundtracks when PAL is converted to NTSC.
PAL runs 4% faster than a NTSC system.
It has nothing to do with being converted to NTSC. PAL simply runs 4% too fast. It sounds the same on a native PAL display as it does when converted to NTSC.

Sometimes the speed-up is noticeable, often it is not. Most of the time you can't tell unless you are specifically comparing a PAL copy to an NTSC.
Old 04-27-02, 09:18 PM

Most 25fps PAL DVDs are pitch corrected to make them sound similar to the 24fps originals. Some folks claim to notice the difference, but I suspect this is on non-pitch corrected DVDs.

Having said that, I'd say go for it. Most DVDs from Australia cost from a half to two thirds of the US prices and can occasionally be better than their US counterparts (eg the Mummy Returns has a dts soundtrack).
Old 04-27-02, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by roger_d
Yeah, I love that one too>>>

TO my friends: Oh I just got the whole Freinds dvd set,

Friend: Can I borro....

Me: Oh, yeah it's region 2.

I don't mean to be greedy, but some people just come to my house thinking it's blockbuster or something.

Another minor point. R4(Aus) dvd's are quite cheaper than R1, yet slightly inferior quality.

Oh, and another thing. Hong Kong Legends!!!!!
(The best thing that happened to dvd since the snapper cases)
Old 04-27-02, 11:08 PM

I have the Sampo 611 and it's a nice neat player that has no macrovision either. But I haven't tried any R2 DVDs yet, so not sure about the quality, but it plays R3 DVDs great.
Old 04-28-02, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by zerotl
...Another minor point. R4(Aus) dvd's are quite cheaper than R1, yet slightly inferior quality...
Eh? I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that (although I don't deny that there has been some utter crap released in Australia). There are quite a few discs where the Australian version wipes the floor with the American version and many where they are marginally superior...

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/R4vsR1/R4vsR1.asp / http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/R4vsR1/R4vsR1Alpha.asp (alphabetical) is a good place for prospective internationalised members to start when researching the matter.
Old 04-28-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes it is worthit.... for getting better releases and DVD's sooner it is worth it alone. Plus the fact that some of the more obscure titles may never be released here.

But be careful of what player you get... cheap Sampo's and Norcent players may seem tempting because they are cheap... but in the end you can't go wrong with the Malata N996... best one on the market period!!! PERFECT Pal to Ntsc conversion!! The other players without the chip that Malata has can't do that... Not sure how good the newer player for the Malata will be because it isn't out yet and can't compare it....
Old 04-28-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, it is worth it, especially if you get a Malata, so you can play PAL, NTSC, and any region. You can get movies like Musa, in nice special edition; and full seasons of TV shows that aren't yet available in the US (such as Buffy, Angel, Dark Angel).

And, really, for about $300, a Malata isn't that much more than a medium-end R1 player...

However, if you're not into foreign films, or any of these TV shows, then it may not be worth it. I'm very into foreign films recently, and some of them aren't available in R1; or have crappy R0 versions...For example, a wonderful French film, Oui, Mais...I could only find it R2. And I'm very happy to have it.
Old 04-29-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its worth it, the Malata 996 is an amazing machine and there are many non region 1 DVDs worth getting. A lot of full frame region 1 DVDs are in widescreen in the other regions. I just got my 996 and i have been pleasantly surprised at the prices of import DVDs, I just bought a bunch for 8.49 U.S each shipped, you can't beat that for movies not available in region 1 or to get a widescreen version.
Old 05-01-02, 05:00 PM

I have a JVC XV-S65 that converts PAL to NTSC and is region-free with a simple one-touch remote keystroke. I opted not to get a Malatta because of poor service quality and service record. I used to have a Raite player which worked really good and had macro-disable but that failed after about a year, and I wasn't taking a risk on another taiwanese player.

Any JVC auth serv. dealer can service theJVC IF it fails.

As for why to get a region-free PAL to NTSC converting DVD player -- there are far too many movies that are released worldwide with longer run-times or different edits than are released in the US or Canada.

For instance - no digital censorship on the non-R1 Eyes Wide Shut, Germany's director's cut of Amadeus, more TV series boxed sets, more anamorphic mastered DVDs, the Kieslowski THREE COLORS Trilogy, different extras. Many of the extras on non-USA discs are from say the BBC or country specific copyright'd material. Like if you get the Bram Stoker's Dracula from Australia you get extras that were only available on the Criterion LD and since Criterion owns those supplements that won't be appearing on the any kind of special edition for the film in R1 (and it has one of the best Coppola commentaries).

If you check out this forum - at the top of the first page - for the non-R1 released films, I'm sure there will be one's that you want that aren't or won't be available. Like Don't Look Now or Code Inconnu or Solaris.
Old 05-01-02, 05:23 PM

I fully support All Region players.
The R2 PAL French versions of Last Metro, Jules & Jim
and Two English Girls have great supplements made by MK2 .

Just a quick question concerning the Aussie Bram Stoker's Dracula,
does it have a commentary track?
Is it from the Criterion LD?

I know that there was a SE laser disc that had a documentary
on the making of and then there was a seperate Criterion LD.
The Criterion LD has a wealth of extras.
I have the Criterion LD and it has a commentary track and an
edited documentary that might be the one from the SE.
I never got the SE to make a comparision.

Maybe people have assumed that the doc. on the DVD is the
one from Criterion when it could be the one from the original
SE LD.
Old 05-01-02, 09:15 PM

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...ersDracula.asp

No commentary track.